Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Zumo 660 and Itunes  (Read 6523 times)

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
Zumo 660 and Itunes
« on: November 14, 2009, 11:16:01 AM »

So I am thinking of getting a Zumo 660 for my SESG. I also have recorded all my music cd's on Itunes, recorded under the Apple Lossless format.

So Zumo gurus, I have a few questions:

1)  Can I use the Zumo 660 for my music as well or do I still need to attach my ipod to the bike with the Rider's Claw?
2) Will the Zumo recognize the Apple Lossless format or do I have to convert to another format?
3) If I can use the Zumo, is the sound quality still pretty good ( I do plan on upgrading the sound system, eventually, to the Hawg Wired system).

Thanks for your help!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Zumo 660 and Itunes
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 12:19:33 PM »

Don't have one (yet), but everything I've seen on the Zumo 660 suggests it's just got an mp3 player, which would mean you'd need to convert to that format.  I'd think you'd want to do that regardless, as the Apple Lossless format, while excellent for re-burning near-perfect copies of CD's and critical listening via headphones or over audiophile-quality components, creates enormous files.  You'd never, ever hear the nuances that format preserves over even a good 128kbps bit rate mp3 file on the bike, Hawg Wired components, or not.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 01:33:07 PM »

Don't have one (yet), but everything I've seen on the Zumo 660 suggests it's just got an mp3 player, which would mean you'd need to convert to that format.  I'd think you'd want to do that regardless, as the Apple Lossless format, while excellent for re-burning near-perfect copies of CD's and critical listening via headphones or over audiophile-quality components, creates enormous files.  You'd never, ever hear the nuances that format preserves over even a good 128kbps bit rate mp3 file on the bike, Hawg Wired components, or not.

Correct, correct, and correct. :2vrolijk_21:

Sea Biscuit all of what Brian (103tHunDer) said is correct one other thing you may want to consider is you only can listen/monitor to one "Aux" source at a time if you have both your Ipod & Zumo on the bike only one can be plugged in. If you convert your music to MP3's and use the Zumo (yes you will loose some sound quality) you will be able to listen to music and if you a riding a programmed route in your GPS you will be able to hear turn by turn directions when necessary. The Zumo will pause the music give the directions and start the music back up when the directions are done. If you choose to use the bluetooth option of the GPS and get a bluetooth headset/microphone you will be able to pair a phone to the Zumo and make/receive calls also.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 01:41:13 PM »

Yes, Yes and Yes again with one exception on the Bluetooth helmet. If you are going to listen to your music via a Bluetooth helmet the battery will give up in about 4 hrs. Depending on the Bluetooth gear you buy but I have not seen or heard of one that will last more then 4 hrs with continued use.

You might want to compare the 550 to the 660 on the Zumoforums.com site. It seams that the 660 has a few problems that you may or may not care about.

Here is a good review and comparison.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Portable-Motorcycle-Navigator/dp/B001OMGVMY
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 01:44:47 PM by bissjim »
Ride It Like You Are Retired

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 04:25:54 PM »

I haven't had the 660 no more than 3 weeks and the weather i the NE is crappy so not much use yet; had the 550 for 2 yrs so I have CellSet MC/SP4 Audio Interface by Kennedy Technology Group. Unlike J&M set up I can listen to any mode (XM,FM,AUX) and still get my GPS instructions. It's great

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 02:22:49 PM »

Thanks everyone...going with Zumo and since you can only listen/monitor to one "Aux" source as Fired00d pointed out (which I did not know), I'll   convert my music to the mp3 format. I'll lose some sound quality but at "warp speed" I don't think it will matter :)

Now handlebar mount or fairing mount...hmm?

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 03:27:32 PM »

Sea biscuit maybe I didn't explain it well, but if you get the cell set system you can listen to ANY mode, and still get your GPS info. I listen to my XM and get my ZUMO info; and still use my Ipod if needed.

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 03:47:04 PM »

Thanks everyone...going with Zumo and since you can only listen/monitor to one "Aux" source as Fired00d pointed out (which I did not know), I'll   convert my music to the mp3 format. I'll lose some sound quality but at "warp speed" I don't think it will matter :)

Now handlebar mount or fairing mount...hmm?

I would highly recommend the handlebar mount.  If you change GPSs down the road and it uses a different mount, you'll be stuck with the old mount on your fairing, or holes in your fairing you'll have to plug, or put on a new inner fairing.  Here's a handlebar mount set up from a company called Leader Motorcycle that makes a really nice set up and it will set you back, with the Ultra Tilt, about $99 (that includes shipping).  I purchased the control mount and ultra tilt.  I'm very happy with it. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 09:38:14 AM »

Another option.....the Amplirider, allows 3 inputs and the 1 Aux output.....I've used it for my GPS and IPod a few times, can still hear directions but the music doesn't mute like it does when listening to music from the GPS directly.  Anyways, just another option, would work with a radar detector input and it allows you to turn up the input to the radio a little bit getting a slightly louder (won't say better) output, of course too much and it completely distorts.....but it's adjustable so a happy medium can be found.

http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html

sanjoseduke

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 07:02:21 PM »

I have a zumo 660 on order and plan to use it on a trip to Cabo San Lucas next month. I have looked at what is in the box statement from Garmin.
What's in the Box
zūmo 660, preloaded City Navigator North America NT, motorcycle mount with mounting hardware, automotive suction cup mount, automotive power cable, carrying case, lithium-ion battery, USB cable, dashboard disc, quick start manual, Installation instructions

My question/s:
Does it come with the cables to hardwire the unit to the bike for power?
Does it have the cables to plug in to my aux input?
Is it capabible of connecting to a ram mount with the haardware supplied with the unit?
What else do I need to purchase to enable the use of bluetooth to my I-Phone?

Any help would be appreciated as I don't have a lot of time to get it in the mail, install it, and head for Baja.

SanJoseDuke

13 FLHTCUSE8

Retired & Loving it!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 07:09:05 PM »

I have a zumo 660 on order and plan to use it on a trip to Cabo San Lucas next month. I have looked at what is in the box statement from Garmin.
What's in the Box
zūmo 660, preloaded City Navigator North America NT, motorcycle mount with mounting hardware, automotive suction cup mount, automotive power cable, carrying case, lithium-ion battery, USB cable, dashboard disc, quick start manual, Installation instructions

My question/s:
Does it come with the cables to hardwire the unit to the bike for power? Yes
Does it have the cables to plug in to my aux input? No see here - SOUND PROFESSIONALS - GOLD PLATED 3.5MM (1/8 INCH) RIGHT ANGLE STEREO PATCH CABLE for cable.
Is it capabible of connecting to a ram mount with the haardware supplied with the unit? Yes
What else do I need to purchase to enable the use of bluetooth to my I-Phone? Bluetooth headset/microphone

Any help would be appreciated as I don't have a lot of time to get it in the mail, install it, and head for Baja.

SanJoseDuke

See above in red.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 07:13:01 PM »

Spot on Gary I told Duke YOUR THE MAN to answer his Question on zumo...Wish I was going with him--Andy
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

sanjoseduke

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 07:20:50 PM »

Wow that was a quick response.

Thanks Gary
13 FLHTCUSE8

Retired & Loving it!

sanjoseduke

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 07:25:20 PM »

Spot on Gary I told Duke YOUR THE MAN to answer his Question on zumo...Wish I was going with him--Andy

I'm leaving Feb 5 Andy. Pack your bags ad come along.
13 FLHTCUSE8

Retired & Loving it!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 07:29:10 PM »

This is as easy for me as it is for Jim to wrench on bikes. :D :D
Wow that was a quick response.

Thanks Gary
You're welcome... have a safe trip. :2vrolijk_21:

As long as your ram mount looks similar to this....

you should be fine. Luckily for the most part the spacing for GPS' mounts/cradles are the same.

If you have serious OCD and want to go chrome here is one a lot of us are using...

Techmount 30997MC (these are for the stock handlebars (1") if you've changed yours you'll need to get one that corresponds to the diameter of your bars)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 25 queries.