Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: California Motorcycle Noise Bill  (Read 5820 times)

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61
Re: New CA Noise Law
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 07:34:59 PM »

Guess I won't be riding in CA anytime soon :orange:
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 09:31:59 PM »

Guess I won't be riding in CA anytime soon :orange:

I doubt this would apply to out-of-state bikes.  I could be wrong.... :nixweiss:

Take it from someone who has lived in a lot of different states:  Calif is freakin' awesome! 

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 10:47:21 PM »

I doubt this would apply to out-of-state bikes.  I could be wrong.... :nixweiss:

Take it from someone who has lived in a lot of different states:  Calif is freakin' awesome! 

All laws apply to out if state. Just depends on if they would enforce it on your out of state bike or give a warning

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 11:25:45 PM »

Hey Van,
This is SB 435 and there is a thread here on it. This is the bill that was gutted before it ever passed. It really had nothing new. Will make it more difficult to modify 2014  and future bikes.  It may turn out the dealer will no longer be allowed to put on a modified exhaust unless aftermarket companies come up with product that are "approved."

GK
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 04:27:05 AM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 11:36:34 PM »

Hey Van,
This is SB 435 and there is a thread here on it. this is the bill that was good did before it ever passed. It really had nothing new. Will make it more difficult to modify 2014  and future bikes.  It may turn out the dealer will no longer be allowed to put on a modified exhaust unless aftermarket companies come up with product that are "approved."

GK
They have been merged. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: California Motorcycle Noise Bill
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 12:36:05 AM »

HD dealers have not been able to install "non compliant" emissions i.e. exhaust, engine mods or SERT's for a year now in CA. Huge fines for them if caught and most will not risk it. CA has been setting up "stings" to catch the dealers they suspect. Just need to find good Indy's to do our mods.
Alan

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 01:05:37 AM »

Just need to find good Indy's to do our mods.

After reading about Trapperdog's warranty denial,
unfortunately when doing this the warranties are now considered being void.   :nixweiss:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 11:21:03 AM »

For those of you that live in Calif. that are interested in doing your part.....take two minutes to place the call that I just placed.  It really is easier than it sounds and took less time to place the call and my request for him to veto it, then it did to read the article.

Here is an email that I just got from the AMA:

Action needed on motorcycle exhaust bill (SB 435)
UPDATE: California Senate Bill 435 (motorcycle exhaust) is on the Governor's desk Take Action!

Contact the Governor today!

On August 30, 2010, the California Senate passed SB 435 by a vote of 21-16 and is on Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger’s desk. Despite state Senator Fran Pavley’s (D-CA-23) claims, the bill will do little to address excessive sound or reduce emissions, and is still unfairly targeting motorcycle owners.

In a letter, dated August, 5, 2010, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) sent a letter to Governor Schwarzenegger urging him to veto SB 435. To view the governor’s reply, click here. In response to the Senate’s passage of SB 435, the AMA sent a follow-up letter, dated August 31, 2010, to the governor, continuing to urge a veto.

As written, SB 435 is not practical in a real world traffic stop situation due to the inconsistent location of the federal label, making it difficult for law enforcement to locate. These labels can be positioned on different locations depending on the type of exhaust and/or style of the motorcycle. This will result in improper and unwarranted citations.

Furthermore, after-market exhaust systems are not always louder than stock systems and can be installed for a variety of legitimate reasons. Stock exhaust can wear out over time, be damaged, unavailable or prohibitively expensive. If signed into law, motorcyclists, and motorcyclists alone, will be forced to purchase Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts, while automobile drivers will continue to be allowed to install exhaust components from non-OEM sources.

This bill is discriminatory and punitive. It will serve only to drive up the cost of ownership for every rider while doing little or nothing to actually address the issue of excessive motorcycle sound. Please contact the Governor's office today and request a veto of this unfair legislation.

The fastest way to reach the Governor is to call, (916) 445-2841. You can also send a pre-written message immediately by following the “Take Action” option and entering your information. The AMA encourages riders to personalize their message.

To view an AMA press release on SB 435, click here.

For those who want to do more, please utilize AMA tips and tools available at on our website at AmericanMotorcyclist.com > Rights > Get Involved, or for direct access, click here. If you are on Facebook, become a fan of the AMA at Facebook.com/AmericanMotorcyclist.

Please write or call the governor today and urge him to veto SB 435. Thank you for your active participation and efforts to encourage your friends and family to do the same.

We knew in 2010 that this was coming but nobody wanted to do anything aboutit.....sit back and whine about it and expect others to do the footwork.

As it was......when I got my 2010 SESG I posted that I was going to keep th original cans and just go with Fullsac baffles because of the potential for this law coming to pass.  I saw it with the helmet law......everybody wants to whine but nobody really wanted to do anything about it.  How many calls have you made.....how many letters have you wrote to your legislatures voicing your opinion on these kind of laws?

The stock OEM cans have the EPA certification stamped on them, even back in 2010. :2vrolijk_21:  If I'm not mistaken, it's stamped on all OEM exhausts, not just Calif.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 10:16:49 AM »

I don't really see a problem here slow down going thru towns and quit trying to set off car alarms.  :huepfenlol2:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 11:03:17 AM »

I don't really see a problem here slow down going thru towns and quit trying to set off car alarms.  :huepfenlol2:

At our age we can all agree with not trying to set off car alarms.  But you're asking an awful lot if you expect Van to slow down going through towns.   Myself.....everybody knows I've never exceeded the posted speed limit.   ::)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:04:58 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 11:11:43 AM »

I agree we all new it was already here, just not enforced. It would be easy to enforce if bikes had to get re-certified when sold and that would just involve a "visual check" at first to make sure all the stock equipment was present. It will take years after that before having to face the "pipe". So for now just save all your original equipment or you may not be able to sell or trade your bike in the future.
Looks like I'll be keeping my 00 for a long time, but will have to keep a parts manual on board to explain those shark fins.  :P

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 03:04:56 PM »

My bike set off alarms with the completely stock exhaust!

Exhaust, helmets, ect... PITA....

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.