Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Chrome problems??!!  (Read 12201 times)

starvin

Re: Chrome problems??!!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2004, 09:25:17 PM »

Thanks to you guys I have been keeping a very close watch on my chrome. My wheels look fine but i noticed a little imperfection on the left floor board. upon further inspection I noticed the chrome was bubbled, so i rubbed it and sure enough it started peeling off. Looks like a trip to the dealer tommorrow. Can't wait if he says no one else has had any problems I'll show him this thread. At least floor boards are easy to change out.

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2004, 10:02:23 PM »

Yo All,  My Eagle landed in January but it was in warm storage till couple weeks ago when the weather started to come around.  Have 800+ miles on her and while cleaning this past Saturday noticed both front and rear wheels having chrome peeling problems.  Now this is not a mounting miscue as the areas of concern are on the spokes near the center hubs.  So far the boards look ok except for where I have drug them on the bottom.  That lowered suspension looks cool but rides a tad rough and takes away the lean angle.  Glad I looked here and saw I am not alone with this problem.  Will get her up to the dealer for a look see in a few.  Great Board!  Awsome bike.  
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2004, 08:39:30 AM »

Welcome aboard 103eagle you will find very good and useful info here from a great group of people.   [smiley=biker.gif]
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2004, 09:33:35 AM »

103 Eagle welcome to the board.

I just sent an email off, to my contact at HD, to see if he can shed any light on the chrome issue and in particular, if they have a handle on it now.  So far, I have 2,000 miles on my bike and no problems yet.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2004, 09:54:21 AM »

Thanks JCZ...I'm glad I spoke up about this.  Maybe we'll get some answers soon.

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2004, 09:51:07 PM »

Thanks for the welcome and yes there sure is a ton of great info here.  Stopped at the dealer today and got a tad upset.  They gave me some excuse about brake dust and such.  I had to leave before I got too upset.  They told me to bring the bike in and they would look at it and take some digital pictures so they could send them to HD.  I've only  had the bike home and on the road for 3 weeks when I noticed the peeling.  What an insult to even consider that 3 weeks of brake dust could cause chrome to peel off!  I wash my bike at the first spec of dust .  Ok , done venting....lol, will let you know what happens asap!
Thanks again
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

starvin

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2004, 11:14:29 PM »

hey eagle do what I did, when they tell you that no one else has had any problems with chrome peeling, ask to use thier computer and punch in this thread... you'll be surprised how differently they talk then.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2004, 08:35:44 AM »

Well washed and waxed it yesterday and everything looks good so far.  Sometimes its good to vent a little   [smiley=veryangry2.gif] hope it turns out ok LOL.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2004, 09:15:04 AM »

Anyone know if I can use a razor blade to remove the warning sticker on the front engine guard without scratching the chrome?
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2004, 11:56:45 AM »

Yes, you can.   Carefully.

I did it on my Road King on both rears...it works great.  Just watch the angle of the blade to the tube.

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2004, 08:44:58 PM »

OK follow up, went to the dealership today and was not happy.  Found a paint defect on my new tourpak that took 10weeks to get!  Had not installed it yet so I took it up for a look see and discussed my chrome problem as well.  They forgot to follow up on it but since I was breathing fire they decided to do it right then.  One phone call to and HD admitted to them of a problem and said to order me 2 new wheels ASAP!  So no idea how long it will take but at least the MOCO admitted fault and hopefully have solved the problem.  Someone else mentioned the wheels have a new part number now.  As for the tourpak, well they are getting me a new one and if they can't provide it in a resonable timeframe I can use the defective one and turn it in when the new one arrives!  I feel better bout the MOCO now.  At least they are trying to resolve my issues.  Too bad the dealer drug their feet on it.  Later All!

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2004, 11:42:18 AM »

Well, I guess that's the first official unofficial word that there is a systemic problem with the chrome.  Thank God for message boards and communication.

bostonut

• Junior CVO Member
  • feelin satisfied
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2004, 02:21:12 PM »

@000 miles on mine now and now the chrome on both front and rear is pealing. My right front lower is also getting into the paint on the fender.....bummer. I'll check the floor boards and the rest of my chrome now......
other toys

1969 Firebird 400 conv.
1974 455 Firebird Formula
1977 CanAm
1989 20th anniv. Turbo Trans Am

Jackhd

• Full CVO Member
  • many happy miles ahead
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2004, 05:32:52 PM »

About 650 miles on my orange and black. Have kept a pretty close eye on chrome and paint-no problems. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2004, 06:06:40 PM »

Here's a photo of my front wheel.  Does this look about like what the rest of you guys are seeing?  Size-wise, it is about the diameter of a nickel and hasn't gotten any worse since Day 1 which was October 12 of last year.  So far my rear wheel and floorboards still look perfect.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 24 queries.