Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Backfiring Pipes  (Read 3685 times)

FBurcaw

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Backfiring Pipes
« on: June 14, 2004, 08:53:09 AM »

With the stock pipes, the exhaust was fine but was too quiet.  I had HD shop put on stage one kit with Vance & Hines pipes.  I immediately got excessive backfiring and popping, even while changing gears.  If I let it back down in any gear, it sounded like a 4th of July celebration.  In addition, the engine ran so hot, I felt like a pig on a spit.  HD immediately said it must be the V & H pipes, so I had them change to Screamin Eagles.  No difference in popping or temperature.  They fiddled around with downloads, but got no positive results.  They threw up their hands and said they were getting a new computer in a month or so that may enable them to do a better mapping for the FI.  I then took bike to a local shop who sells a lot of Power Commanders.  He installed a PC and this seems to have reduced the backfiring by 75 - 80%.  It seldom backfires anymore when changing gears, but will do so when backing down in gear and you reach low RPMs.  The engine does not seem as hot anymore, so I imagine it is not running as lean as it once did.  Although the situation has improved, I am still not entirely pleased with the result.  Now, the HD shop calls and tells me that for $700 they can install a race tuner that will solve the "popping" problem.  Since I already paid $600 for a PC and a Dyno tuning, I am not in the mood to spend another $700 for something that probably will not make the problem go totally away anyway.  Has anybody else had this backfiring problem after putting in a stage 1 kit and pipes?  Would appreciate any input.  Thanks,  Fred Burcaw

re-tread

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Backfiring Pipes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 09:18:08 AM »

not exactly, but might help.
I installed V & H mufflers and a race tuner at the same time. The engine did not perform well, lots of backfiring and power was not increased.
I changed to Rineharts, and had the bike remapped, (same dealer) and found no backfires and an increase in power. Very pleased.
I believe the V&H are not made for the 103".
SE air box
Reinharts
Race Tuner

starvin

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 09:43:03 AM »

exact same problem I had, I have the screamin eagle pipes, stage 1 and ECM download, I ended up buying the race tuner ($380) and tuned it myself. I just added a little more gas at the RPM and throttle position that it was backfiring and it solved the problem. Just had my bike dyno tuned last week and they didn't make many changes.  

Kingsalmon

• Senior CVO Member
  • HD gets too much of my money
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 10:59:34 AM »

Mine pops a little when I back off the throttle "not real consistant"
My Ultra does the same thing with SE Slipons. When my Ultra pops, you could see a little flame come out the tail pipes. I'm thinking the mixture is off on both bikes.

I have the race tuner on my SEEG and V & H slip on pipes.  I guess I'm just used to the popping. I'll have it checked next time I bring it in.

Glave

• Full CVO Member
  • There is no substition for Cubic Inches!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 11:12:24 AM »

I had same problem with mine when purchased.  Running Thunder header for pipes.  Dealer put on Stage I Highflow K&N Air cleaner and changed the original SE Chip/Map to the Standard Stage II Chip/Map.  Problem solved. [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Have since put on the Power Comander III for increased HP and Torque with good results.  Currently experincing minor popping on Decel when coming off of high rev.  Not real consistant on the popping but dealer will dyno tune again at next service.  Should be end of the month or so.

[smiley=drink.gif]
'02 FLHRSEI,  Thunder Header,K&N Highflow  Air, Power Commander III

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 01:15:57 PM »

If you are running a Power Commander, the only thing that needs to be done is to have it mapped by a Dynojet tuning facility. Make sure that they tune all throttle positions and rpm ranges. Chances are if you've got popping the tuner short cutted the mapping process and you have a lean condition in one of the quadrants. I run a Rinehart based setup with some compression bump and have NEVER had popping or anything related to it, but I have a GREAT tuner here in Reno. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 02:39:48 PM »

hook up your powercommander to your pc.
in the 0% throttle position set the # to -40 from 2000-6000 rpms.
the popping is from unburnt fuel. doing this will remove the fuel, and won't affect the gas milage. increasing the fuel only disguises the popping by drowning it out.
i still get some pop at really low rpm, but its much better.
i also think the popping is a charastic of the v&h slip on's.
anyway dynojet told me to do this, and it worked.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

Bobby_Brooks

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 06:02:01 PM »

Wow! I thought I was the only one with a $30,000 Pop Corn machine. Put Rineharts on the first week i got the bike. Ran it 1300 miles with no problems. Took it in for 1000 mile service. Dealer said it should have a new "chip" down load. I said do it. When I picked the bike up it was stalling and popping. Took it back they said it needed a stage one aif filter up-grade, again i said do it. Picked it back up still popping and ran like chit. Took it back and they said they didn't know what to do, so they put it back to the original download. No popping, but not sure if that is ok for the bike.  HELP!!!!!!!

Thanking you in advance,

Bobby Brooks, 1-302-218-4600 if you can help.

PS It was MIKES FAMOUS in DE

pfatmn

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 04:06:23 PM »

I have reinharts and doherty air cleaner with p.c.  Bike dyno,s at 102.5 hp & 106.5 fp
I just rode 2000 mi up and back blue ridge & smokeys . The engine has some popping but hardly any more then my buddies stock road king. It does have a very minor miss between 2300-2800 r.p.m.  I took it back to the tuner who told me the free flowing reinharts tend to cause that. He worked it on the dyno for 2.5 hrs and eliminated MOST of it. It does not miss at all under acceleration. only at a very moderate throtel. The minnor pops and miss are small price to pay for when I really get on it. Hang on!!

bighd

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 10:13:03 PM »

How does the Doherty stack work? Did you dyno it before you put it on.  With regards to backfiring.  If you changed the pipes make sure they have all the nuts tight and the gasket really in and smashed in the motor.  I had the dealer two times replace they nuts because they thought they had them on tight and it was the gasket.
2004 FLHTCSE
Orange what else is there
Rinehart True Duals
Ness Big Sucker Intake
Race Map
Lot's of extra chrome
American Ironhorse Texas Chopper

pfatmn

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 02:07:07 PM »

The Doherty is not a stack. It is an air cleaner that flows more air then the screaming eagle ( K&N ). More importantly they include a snap in venturi tha supposedly improves the air flow. It fits right on with no mods and the custom cover that comes with our bikes screws directly to it just like screaming eagle.
I had the whole package dynoed together when they were setting up my power commander so I can't tell you for sure how much it helped by itself. I know my dyno numbers seem to be 2 - 4 h.p. more then the dyno numbers that I have seen at other spots on this site. Hope that helps

bighd

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 01:52:54 PM »

So what you are telling me is that you only bought the air cleaner not the entire power pac set with the billlet backing plate and the the velocity looking stack that bolts up to your intake.  I have that whole set up on my chopper and with the air cleaner off it resembles a velocity stack and it seem to work pretty good.
2004 FLHTCSE
Orange what else is there
Rinehart True Duals
Ness Big Sucker Intake
Race Map
Lot's of extra chrome
American Ironhorse Texas Chopper

pfatmn

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 02:30:25 PM »

I do have the whole set up including the crank-vents. The package seems to woork quite well.

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 23 queries.