Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: VETERANS DATA STOLEN !  (Read 2459 times)

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
VETERANS DATA STOLEN !
« on: May 22, 2006, 05:28:48 PM »

« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 06:18:07 PM by SEULTRA »

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
Re: VETERANS DATA STOLEN !
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 06:31:39 PM »

CHIT!!!  >:(
Probably not encrypted knowing the VA mentality. Lays a lot of other information out there besides SSAN, etc. Hope they fire the person responsible and change thier control measures.  [smiley=angry.gif]
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 09:44:41 PM »

They got the employee......don't know if charges will be filed or not.  Why did this person take that info out anyway.....doesn't make sense......

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Nasty Habit

• Full CVO Member
  • Starting Dec. 22nd, you can say Summer's Comming
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 05:44:08 AM »

I too, like everyone else, couldn't believe my ears upon hearing of this stupid person's action. What was he thinkng? I really doubt that any government worker was actually going to take work home...
NH
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, cold beer in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling WHO, HOO! What a Ride...

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 06:30:58 AM »

"I really doubt that any government worker was actually going to take work home... "

Heeeyyy!   :o I have been known to work after my normal tour of duty.  

But, for the most part, I guess I resemble that remark.    [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 06:43:18 AM »

They got the employee......don't know if charges will be filed or not.  Why did this person take that info out anyway.....doesn't make sense......

_Beagle

Well if you think about it. How much is that info worth??????

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 09:27:29 AM »

Well if you think about it. How much is that info worth??????
Be Safe
THE DAWG

Let see, hmmmm, 28 million names and info times $$$$$, equals 280000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000......I don't think Naitram has enough storage here for the zeroes.

Holy schnikeys Batman, what an idiot.  Now the word is it is up to us to watch for someone buying our new stereo, bbq, etc........on our credit report.

Maybe the credit bureaus did it so we'd all sign up for the monthly credit search??????????

Never had an issue on credit theft, but from the sounds of it I don't want one either.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 10:01:09 AM »

Rjob,
    Credit invasion is really nasty business.  If you were on the list (or think you might),  it's worth the few buck for the monthly credit statements.  These guys could ef up your credit and cost you a bunch in no time flat.  Once they get the info they need,  they'll use the information heavy for only a short time....but a day or 2 out there is too much.  This guy who took the disk home should be shot......  I call this the ID TEN T effect
ID10T.....

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 10:43:58 AM »

Let see, hmmmm, 28 million names and info times $$$$$, equals 280000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000......I don't think Naitram has enough storage here for the zeroes.

Holy schnikeys Batman, what an idiot.  Now the word is it is up to us to watch for someone buying our new stereo, bbq, etc........on our credit report.

[highlight]Maybe the credit bureaus did it so we'd all sign up for the monthly credit search??????????[/highlight]

Never had an issue on credit theft, but from the sounds of it I don't want one either.

Actually, I think the VA ought to pay for monthly credit reports for all who are affected (Hmmmmmmm... there oughtta be a law!)  ;)

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 04:17:20 PM »

Actually, I think the VA ought to pay for monthly credit reports for all who are affected (Hmmmmmmm... there oughtta be a law!)  ;)
The Va can barely treat our Vets as it is. plus your now going to trust them that they will pay the bill every month? Doudt it. Just watch your backs those who may be affected,identity theft sucks. >:(
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 07:00:57 PM »

This same situation happened last year with my employer - somehow a computer containing personal data for 70,000 current and former U.S. salaried employees was stolen.  They wouldn't give us any details (I have to believe it was the same sort of thing as the VA though, with some yo-yo taking the data home on a laptop), but they did set us up with a free one year monitoring service through Equifax.  The least the government could do for these VETS is to do the same, right after they draw and quarter the guy who was taking this info home with him for the past three years.  Some folks just can't seem to get a clue, if you know what I mean.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 08:52:20 PM »

Ok Kids, here's the poop.  I work as a County Veterans Serivce Officer now, and am in daily contact with the Dept of Vet Affairs.  

The guy that took the info home was a data analyst.  (well paid).  so, he probably wasn't trying to sell the data, he was probably trying trying to find a way to smooth up the way the VA does business and polls the data, and since the VA won't pay over-time, why not take the job home so he at least gets some time with the family while he's working. (that keeps the old lady happy AND the boss happy.  good deal both ways eh?     oops.....)

Then we get mutiple break-ins in his neighborhood, (drug driven most likely according to the police report on those) and he's one of those that gets hit.  Loses his laptop.  So he reports it to his boss the next day.  His boss, (smarter than the average schmutz) says" lets be quiet about this, and see if it shows right up at the local u-pawn-it shop like the rest of the stuff, and nobody will know that the data is missing until we have it back, and then all that data won't be a hot commodity, we can fire you for trying too hard, and the vets don't get hurt.  (Nobody goes after what they don't know is there...)  

Enter the liberal-left-wing-pointy-headed-fuzz-butt press... who gets word of it, and tells the whole freakin' world that the data is out there for the finding.  (NOW WE HAVE A PROBLEM, HOUSTON)  So, now there is a major migration of data miners on it's toes looking for the data.  Congress is working on passing a law that lets ALL vets have unlimited access to their credit info free of charge, at the expense of the credit bureaus, (which makes sense, since they are the one's who have single handedly made data mining and identity theft so profitable anyway, and it doesn't cost them anything to make the data available, it just keep them from making yet more proft on the heels of someones misfortune...), and that legislation should roll out in the next few days.  

The up side of this is that now the Vets,(yes, that's me too...)  who statistically are less inclined to check on that type of stuff will now be a bit more proactive about it, and the problem may  actaully abate somewhat due to the percieved data compromise.  The down side is that the VA is already reassigning people over to the phone banks and records units to answer the flood of stupid questions, which is slowing down the claims process, yet again....  

BTW, this is just my opinion from an informed perspective, so feel free to flame.  I still think I'm invincible!  ;D
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 02:20:13 PM »

FYI
        In Case everyone didn't happen to see this. The laptop was recovered this past week. reports are that preliminary evidence indicates that the data was not compromised.  

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 03:24:05 PM »

Not sure how comforting that is >:(.  I received a letter from the VA (yep I'm a Veteran), it's a form letter, but at least they found me (through the IRS the letter says).  They tell me my data is on the laptop, but they are doing everything possible to find it.  So they find it a month later and how many copies I wonder were made ::)  Will they send another letter telling me they found it and not to worry anymore :-/  I doubt it.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 04:35:31 PM »

In this day and time one has to have some kind of Identity Theft/Monitoring service to be sure that there identity isn't stolen. I received the letter you speak of, but have the service mentioned above and get reports back monthly of activity. Well worth the time and energy to stay on top of this, it is easier to catch/correct this before someone goes wild w/your identity. [smiley=nervous.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 07:27:34 PM »

FYI
        In Case everyone didn't happen to see this. The laptop was recovered this past week. reports are that preliminary evidence indicates that the data was not compromised.  

whow!  they had me going there for awhile.  not sure what to believe these days......did they or didn't they?  should I be worried or not?  what's next?  It's really not nice to pick on the ol' vets......some of us are not all that 'stable'.  har!  :-? spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 10:32:37 PM »

Agree Firedood.  I have the same service with credit monitoring.  Works great.  Now all we have to worry about is the IRS dropping the load of tapes out of the back of a truck confirming my taxes are paid...

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 09:57:30 AM »

Well I got my letter from the VA about 2 weeks ago.So I guess the govt. really works slow.Who knew [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.