Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Biker killed by lightning while riding  (Read 3044 times)

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
Biker killed by lightning while riding
« on: June 22, 2006, 01:33:48 PM »

Think you're safe from lightning because you're riding on rubber?? Go to: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13471386/
 :-[ :-/ :'(

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Biker killed by lightning while riding
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 02:19:09 PM »

I found it of interest that the article stated that he was wearing a helmet.  [smiley=confused5.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 02:30:41 PM »

I found it of interest that the article stated that he was wearing a helmet.  [smiley=confused5.gif] spyder

Yup, me too.  As if anything could protect you when you're struck by *&^%$#@ lightning.  Give me a break.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 02:31:03 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 02:58:56 PM »

Probably just the irony of it all...the guy was trying to be safe (no helmet laws in CO, right?), and despite it all, had the misfortune to literally be in exactly the wrong place at the wrong time.  Ain't nothing going to insulate you from a bolt of lighting, on tires or not.

Must have been one hell of a bolt to have blasted a hole in the asphalt like that.  I've been in a few afternoon thunderstorms in Colorado...on foot at 12,000 feet...above tree line...tallest thing around...I promise, you will make yourself small.

Hell of a way for the guy to go though...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 03:07:10 PM »

There's another link on the same site about a woman riding passenger on the back of a bike getting killed by a limb breaking off a birch tree and hitting her in the head.

The Great Biker in the sky is certainly getting creative with the way he calls people home these days.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 03:07:53 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 03:45:09 PM »

You would think by media mentioning rider was wearing a helmet that the media is owned by the insurance industry. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] I do understand tha CO is a helmet free state, but id has no significance here. Doesn’t matter if he had a helmet on, was piss drunk, had just robbed a bank, or any other thing, bottom line he was struck by lightning it was a freak accident and a misfortune for this rider and his family.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 03:55:43 PM »

Gary,
       When I crashed outside Toronto a year ago Tuesday, the cops asked the people treating me at the site if I had had a helmet on ; to which they said yes. I could see the cop standing there with a clipboard filing out the accident report as I lie waiting for the ambulance. I get wound up by these reports as well, but I suspect that newspaper reporters also have a checklist they use to detail accident reports. By the way, I never wore a helmet when I lived in Maine, but have had to these past 8 years in San Diego, and now I am not comfortable riding without one. My friends in Maine commented on it last year when I was there. I'm sold however, you should have seen the visor on the 1/2 helmet I had on in Canada. I would have been missing an eyebrow for sure, maybe worse. I hate to agree with anything the insurance companies say, but there's worse things can happen to you than having to wear a helmet.

Brian

Rebel

• Full CVO Member
  • It's called Sanity, but maybe it's me that's crazy
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 04:44:41 PM »

Maybe if he had been wearing a chrome helmet, the lightning bolt would have reflected off and he would have been fine.   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Hmmm? :-/

Later-
The "Rebel"

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 05:52:31 PM »

We had a local BMW bike shop employee on his way home from work last year get struck on RT.58 in Virginia by lightning and he died. (Yes he was wearing a helmet too.)
It was a very small storm and except for the one victim it would not have been considered a severe storm front.
Last month they even had a charity ride to raise biker awareness to the dangers of lightning.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 06:15:58 PM »

Probably just the irony of it all...the guy was trying to be safe (no helmet laws in CO, right?), and despite it all, had the misfortune to literally be in exactly the wrong place at the wrong time.  Ain't nothing going to insulate you from a bolt of lighting, on tires or not.

Must have been one hell of a bolt to have blasted a hole in the asphalt like that.  I've been in a few afternoon thunderstorms in Colorado...on foot at 12,000 feet...above tree line...[highlight]tallest thing around...I promise, you will make yourself small[/highlight].

Hell of a way for the guy to go though...
I don't know what to do in a thunderstorm (on a bike) as I'm usually in heavy traffic, can't see, people following too close, no where to pull off safely, and more worried about being run over than the lighting......but, I also don't understand why it hits what it hits.....I've been climbing around in the stainless steel rigging on my sailboat in the ocean trying to get fouled sails down w/ lighting striking the water all around the boat, the hair on my arms standing up, etc.....a 45' alum. mast being the highest point for many miles around....why didn't it strike me then????  It hit my brother while he was in his garage....came into the house via tree roots knocking him unconscious resulting in nerve damage.  What to do on a scooter????  I don't know but I feel that the cages are a greater hazard that the lighting bolt to my health.  Now watch, I'll get crispy before the summer's over!  [smiley=dead.gif] har!  [smiley=2vrolijk_09.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Pap

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 07:11:56 PM »

I don't have any ideas about getting out of lightnings way but I remember an old saying "If you were born to die from hanging, you'll never drown."  Maybe same applys to lightning.
There are risks and costs to a program of action.  But they are far less than the long range risks and costs of comfortable inaction.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 07:46:40 PM »

Hey Hubbard.... ever raced lightning with Ol' Maudie?  ;D [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 07:01:53 PM »

The problem is the HELMETS!!!!   Look, both of the riders struck by lightning were wearing helmets!! [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] :o  Just goes to show you that a helmet gets you struck by lightning and kills you!  We were in CC when this rider got hit.  Fortunately for the group, lightning stayed away from us.  As an aside, one of the links to the original story indicated Michgan did not repeal their helmet law.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 07:02:27 PM by arcticdude »
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 08:47:46 AM »

I don't have any ideas about getting out of lightnings way but I remember an old saying "If you were born to die from hanging, you'll never drown."  Maybe same applys to lightning.

That's right Pap...when is your turn.......is your turn...wherever you are and whatever you do.. [smiley=nervous.gif]

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 10:37:44 AM »

[highlight]We were in CC when this rider got hit.  Fortunately for the group, lightning stayed away from us.[/highlight]  As an aside, one of the links to the original story indicated Michgan did not repeal their helmet law.

There was one hell of a stike that same day, right in front of us, when we were leaving Mt Evans that we saw after Bret and Nikki had to go back with the keys.  Nowhere to go though, if you were trying to avoid it you only had trees all around the wouldn't have been any place to be either so I guess you just keep ridin' [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 10:38:36 AM by Rjob749 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 11:23:04 AM »

The problem is the HELMETS!!!!   Look, both of the riders struck by lightning were wearing helmets!!

Both riders were also wearing clothes.  So it's not just the helmets.  Obviously this suggests that everyone ride naked !  

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 11:26:15 AM »

There was one hell of a stike that same day, right in front of us, when we were leaving Mt Evans that we saw after Bret and Nikki had to go back with the keys.  Nowhere to go though, if you were trying to avoid it you only had trees all around the wouldn't have been any place to be either so I guess you just keep ridin' [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

WFP and his lovely wife and I saw a couple of big bolts relatively close just before we were visited by a few minutes of hail 90 minutes or so after leaving Mt. Evans.  Personally I'd have let the lightning bounce around all day long if it somehow meant the hail stayed home.

Crawdaddy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoy your Freedom
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2006, 11:27:58 AM »

You might have something there.  I have never heard of a naked rider getting hit by lightning.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 02:28:10 PM »

WFP and his lovely wife and I saw a couple of big bolts relatively close just before we were visited by a few minutes of hail 90 minutes or so after leaving Mt. Evans.  Personally I'd have let the lightning bounce around all day long if it somehow meant the hail stayed home.
Hurts, doesn't it?  Did your bike receive any damage?   [smiley=nixweiss.gif] spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2006, 02:48:05 PM »

Hurts, doesn't it?  Did your bike receive any damage?   [smiley=nixweiss.gif] spyder

Nah, none of it was big stuff.  The only real problem was that some dipstick (and I won't mention names to avoid embarassing anyone) actually got caught in that hail storm and another brief one the next day without a helmet on.  Divots man, divots.

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2006, 07:50:30 PM »

wouldn't have mattered about nothing.. it was his time.. he went out riding and there are a lot of other ways to go that are way worst! God rest brother!
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 04:47:44 PM »

When you are riding in a storm and there's lightning, sometimes all you can do is pray.  But, like Bobby Hill (from King of the Hill) says, "Prayer usually doesn't work".  :o-Steve
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 21 queries.