Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Pricing mods into asking price when selling  (Read 4880 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Re: Pricing mods into asking price when selling
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 10:07:05 AM »

From my experience,  you Never get out of it what you put into it.
It's a labor of Love. My advice is , if you have the original parts put them back on the bike and keep the parts you like to install on the new bike if compatible. Otherwise you will loose your Butt.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 01:30:02 PM »

When I traded in my '08 SERK for my '09 SERG, the salesman was up front with me and said the bike is not worth anything extra with you mods on it, at least to us.  I asked if it were showroom stock, would the trade in be less and he said no.

That night I stripped all the mods off the bike and put it back to showroom stock.

I then sold my mods on here for a bit over $2500.

I know to the public, the mods may help sway someone to your bike instead of another with less mods, but it may be just as profitable to you to convert it back to stock and sell it that way and then pedal your mods as used.  I know that if you have front fork mods, that's a bit hard to return back to stock, and I wouldn't want to.  Maybe keeping new upgraded rear shocks on the bike too.  They might give you an edge over someone else.

Just a thought.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 05:09:58 PM »

I have been removing the easiest and least time consuming mods since the very early 2000's, when I was told at trade in that they didn't really want them on the bike because it made it harder to sell. It was too personalized. I actually have a chrome starter cover on my '16 that I bought in the late '90's. I don't plan on buying another ride, but if I do, I guess it'll finally go with the bike.

I think it's bull, because they can't sell someone a new chrome do dad if it's already on the used bike.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:13:54 PM by King Glide »
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 06:33:30 PM »

I think it's bull, because they can't sell someone a new chrome do dad if it's already on the used bike.

depending on said doo-dad, it wouldn't surprise me if it was on the bike when you traded it in, but was not on the bike when it sells.  but, I bet it's on a dealer employee's ride out in the parking lot....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 03:56:26 PM »

The last four CVO's I have bought have all been used and the added do-dads do not add to the price.  We take the NADA book price and adjust for mileage if necessary, nothing added.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 05:26:48 PM »

I'll ask, what you going to buy Joe?

BigLew

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 05:59:23 PM »

Hi Lew,

The 2017 Black and Gray CVO Street Glide is, kind of, haunting me. I test drove a black and blue model a few months ago and I really liked the suspension improvements that were made this year and the stock 114" M8 is fairly peppy. I've been able to walk away from all the other color combos but the black and gray is sticking with me. The problem is I love my other bikes but I'm having trouble justifying owning three. It's hard enough for me to find time to put miles on two!

Right now my money is earmarked for the new garage I'm building so if I had to have the SG now one of the others would have to go. I guess I'd have to find someone that really wanted a bike with the drivetrain and suspension mods I've done.

Maybe I'll just wait and see if I fall in love with an '18 or '19. That'll give me time to save the money and the new garage will give me space for the 3rd ride.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 07:14:30 AM »

Just assume you're going to eat the mods.

I agree with 2Lane.  What's worse, is I made money on every Harley I ever sold over the years, to include my 1991 Ultra-Classic.  Then, the market, the buying public, the world, the Harley population, or something phucking changed.  Ol' Maudie was an '02 model.  I had $60K in that Bike.  Sold it in 2013 for $15K, with a brand new $6600.00 motor in it.  So......I booked my memories at $45K, and convinced myself I broke-even.  Then, I got honest with myself, and realized I lost my ass.  When your expenses exceed your income....your assets in jail.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD   
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 10:24:09 AM »

I agree with 2Lane.  What's worse, is I made money on every Harley I ever sold over the years, to include my 1991 Ultra-Classic.  Then, the market, the buying public, the world, the Harley population, or something phucking changed.  Ol' Maudie was an '02 model.  I had $60K in that Bike.  Sold it in 2013 for $15K, with a brand new $6600.00 motor in it.  So......I booked my memories at $45K, and convinced myself I broke-even.  Then, I got honest with myself, and realized I lost my ass.  When your expenses exceed your income....your assets in jail.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD

Yeah, I know y'all are right. I'm just not in love with the new models enough to take the hit yet. There's a couple of local friends that have been looking at my bikes and I keep hoping they decide they have to have one of them bad enough to pony up a little extra. I'm sure it's wishful thinking on my part.  :nixweiss:

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 05:07:31 PM »

Yeah, I know y'all are right. I'm just not in love with the new models enough to take the hit yet. There's a couple of local friends that have been looking at my bikes and I keep hoping they decide they have to have one of them bad enough to pony up a little extra. I'm sure it's wishful thinking on my part.  :nixweiss:

I can relate, JoeVibe!  The new Saddle-Bag and Tour-Pak shape does not appeal to me.  Nor does fluid-cooled.  Maybe someday, but not today.  Looks a little "European" to me.  But that's just me.  To each is own.  I predict that guy with a little extra change in his pocket will appear.  He'll be 55 or older, with a trained eye, too.    Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 09:14:01 PM »

I can relate, JoeVibe!  The new Saddle-Bag and Tour-Pak shape does not appeal to me.  Nor does fluid-cooled.  Maybe someday, but not today.  Looks a little "European" to me.  But that's just me.  To each is own.  I predict that guy with a little extra change in his pocket will appear.  He'll be 55 or older, with a trained eye, too.    Later--HUBBARD

That could work for me!  :2vrolijk_21:

Toofast_28

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 10:50:46 PM »

depending on said doo-dad, it wouldn't surprise me if it was on the bike when you traded it in, but was not on the bike when it sells.  but, I bet it's on a dealer employee's ride out in the parking lot....

I've noticed a few HD (and other brand) dealers here in my area openly selling the easy to remove chrome do-dads on Craigslist, that they take off used bikes.  Listings even show the piles of parts and list the dealer name and say to come shop for the used stuff.  Then all their used bikes are sitting clearly half stripped down, asking way more than reasonable prices.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2017, 07:57:10 PM »

Hey Joe Vibe, I feel your pain. Maybe look into the mirror ask yourself what you would truly pay for it, add 10K and negotiate down from there. Don't trade it in. I don't know about all dealers but the dealer near me is a cheap SOB. I have spent a lot of green there over the years and he knows it. When I bought my 09 I got the first silver and blue one in Ventura County. I had to pay $1500 over list and when I asked him to split that with me he said no deal because he has five guys behind me who want it. I was in there today mid afternoon and the shop was full of bikes but no buyers in sight very quiet. I had a 1995 Heritage with S&S 107 Six speed and it was totally chromed out and gorgeous. I asked him to put in on the floor and he said it was too old and offered me $3500.00 for it. This was about three years ago. I had about $28K into it and sold it to my cousin in Thermopolis WY for $7500.00 I drove the crap out of that bike for about 63K so I got my use out of it. I think people need to understand that if you get a bike every two years or so you could get good value for your trade in. After that you might as well keep it until the use you have gotten out of it is equal to what you could sell it for and the value the use is to you. Then you would probably feel alright. I figure I got about 18K of use out of my 1995
and I sold it for $7500.00. When I look at it that way I don't feel bad at all. Sorry for the short novel. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 25 queries.