Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley Excise Tax -- This Made Me Laugh Out Loud  (Read 2245 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Harley Excise Tax -- This Made Me Laugh Out Loud
« on: April 29, 2017, 08:35:43 PM »

Ok, this isn't so much a Harley specific excise tax as it is not too uncommon for any piece likely to soon go obsolete.  The 02, 03 and 07 CVO Road Kings all use the same dash panel.  It's a dash panel specific to those bikes.  With the larger tank coming out right after there is zero chance of that dash ever getting used again on new inventory. 

So, in what passed for a bright moment, I thought, "Hey, Don, those are probably going obsolete soon (if they haven't already).  When you bought yours the rubber gasket was cheap so why not get a spare gasket while you still can."

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  $$ ONE HUNDRED and TWENTY SOME DOLLARS $$   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Found the invoice from the purchase of mine when I finished building the Road King a few years ago.  From one of the discounting dealers it was less than $20.  I'm not complaining this time.  Just amused.  That's an expensive rubber gasket now!!  :huepfenlol2:

I didn't buy a spare just to throw in the parts cabinet now.  Probably never need one anyway.  Right up until the time when I'm 70 and suddenly do and will be too old to remember I screwed up and didn't buy it while I could  :drink: .

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Harley Excise Tax -- This Made Me Laugh Out Loud
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 09:05:53 PM »

I got a few odds and ends last week to bring the '12 SEUC back up to standard for the new riding season.  Had a cracked muffler heat shield, the fairing air deflectors had a few scratches and rock chips that wouldn't polish out anymore, the cushion tape that goes on the fairing outer and keeps the windshield from making direct contact from the fairing had seen better days and thought I'd throw a couple new spark plugs at it just for fun.  6 parts, $300.  I thought I'd have a little left over from that H-D Visa gift card to use toward a rear tire.  Nope.  :o

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 12:08:01 AM »

I got a few odds and ends last week to bring the '12 SEUC back up to standard for the new riding season.  Had a cracked muffler heat shield, the fairing air deflectors had a few scratches and rock chips that wouldn't polish out anymore, the cushion tape that goes on the fairing outer and keeps the windshield from making direct contact from the fairing had seen better days and thought I'd throw a couple new spark plugs at it just for fun.  6 parts, $300.  I thought I'd have a little left over from that H-D Visa gift card to use toward a rear tire.  Nope.  :o

No one ever said we're smart Brian.  We have fun for sure.  But sane, not even a little bit....  :drink:

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 10:24:47 PM »

Don, just go ahead and buy it. Think of it as an investment! Harley is just showing you how high the prices will go due to their rarity....lol. :drink:
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 10:27:48 PM »

Don, just go ahead and buy it. Think of it as an investment! Harley is just showing you how high the prices will go due to their rarity....lol. :drink:

A guy is lucky to have friends like the ones here.  Always lookin' out for you  :huepfenlol2: :drink: .

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 10:29:14 PM »

Its what friends do for each other

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 11:13:57 PM »

A guy is lucky to have friends like the ones here.  Always lookin' out for you  :huepfenlol2: :drink: .

Did you survive all the water ok? The river here has finally crested but they have all the dams holding right now too.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 12:14:59 AM »

Did you survive all the water ok? The river here has finally crested but they have all the dams holding right now too.

It has been nasty.  I'm personally off any of the local flood planes.  That doesn't mean I don't worry about the sump pump in the basement just keeping up when the ground gets so totally inundated and the sky just keeps pouring and pouring and pouring.  Fortunately no problems though.  The area is a mess though. 

There is a method to the madness though.  The orders went in early to get all the rain out of Mother Nature's system before we all get together at Eureka Springs.  If the last couple weeks are anything to go by that was a hell of a plan.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 09:51:08 AM »

That plan was excused well then. Sure need to watch the roads the next week or so. There will be lots of trash pushed out on them, especially the rural twolane roads

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 09:24:34 AM »

I didn't buy a spare just to throw in the parts cabinet now.  Probably never need one anyway.  Right up until the time when I'm 70 and suddenly do and will be too old to remember I screwed up and didn't buy it while I could  :drink: .

Hey......leave us senior citizens out of your ramblings.........please
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 10:54:21 AM »

That plan was excused well then. Sure need to watch the roads the next week or so. There will be lots of trash pushed out on them, especially the rural twolane roads

::)  Hey !!

jcd520

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 12:59:15 PM »

$500.00 for Dunlop tires for my 12SERG!!!! Only Harley sells em! I mount and balance them myself. ridiculous!!!!
I can buy 6 michelins  for my crew cab dually for about twice that, installed!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 05:19:38 PM »

$500.00 for Dunlop tires for my 12SERG!!!! Only Harley sells em! I mount and balance them myself. ridiculous!!!!
I can buy 6 michelins  for my crew cab dually for about twice that, installed!

Michelin Commander IIs $345. to the door,, price matched from Revzilla...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 24 queries.