Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Best Sunglasses for Blocking Wind???  (Read 22746 times)

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
Re: Best Sunglasses for Blocking Wind???
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 03:28:54 PM »

I have tried several windshields on my SESG and have come to the conclusion that the wind and buffeting I am having is coming from down low at fork level
it swirls up and around the fairing, and gas tank. I have no interest in installing the front fork deflectors at this time.
Hawg

bhtko

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »

I gave up on windshield looks, I went for functional as glasses don't fix the buffetting.  I run the freedom shield 9.5" with the recurve on the 09 Ultra & a different brand (they are on the site, I just can't remember) at 10" with more recurve on the CVO.

I am 6'4 and the both work very well.  I look over them by about 2".  I haven't tried the Klockworks but I have friends with them & they like them but their passengers don't.

Why don't passengers like the Klock Werks windshields?  I hate to keep going back to looks but the Klock Werks seems to look better to me than the Freedom Shield...

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 03:51:13 PM »

I have tried several windshields on my SESG and have come to the conclusion that the wind and buffeting I am having is coming from down low at fork level
it swirls up and around the fairing, and gas tank. I have no interest in installing the front fork deflectors at this time.

I could be mistaken, but I think the reference was to the front fork baffle which is not the same thing and is unobtrusive chrome.  Another option is the RG deflectors that go between the front of the tank and the lowers.  They have to be modified slightly to fit the Batwing, but from all reports, they do help.

The best solutions for blocking wind off your face are:  Wear a Full Face or Flip Up Helmet.  Or, get a windshield the right height and with recurve at the top.  Even if the  sunglasses are not vibrating, the wind on your face is not a good thing when it comes to rain, rocks in the cages tires in front of you, bugs, birds, and other airborne objects.  A big azzed beetle at 70mph HURTS.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

bhtko

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 03:54:37 PM »

I could be mistaken, but I think the reference was to the front fork baffle which is not the same thing and is unobtrusive chrome.  Another option is the RG deflectors that go between the front of the tank and the lowers.  They have to be modified slightly to fit the Batwing, but from all reports, they do help.

The best solutions for blocking wind off your face are:  Wear a Full Face or Flip Up Helmet.  Or, get a windshield the right height and with recurve at the top.  Even if the  sunglasses are not vibrating, the wind on your face is not a good thing when it comes to rain, rocks in the cages tires in front of you, bugs, birds, and other airborne objects.  A big azzed beetle at 70mph HURTS.

Good point... I have now shifted my focus from new glasses to a new windshield.  I am looking at two different manufacturers - Freedon Shield and WindVest.  Can I hear everyone's thoughts on the two?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 04:25:38 PM »

Good point... I have now shifted my focus from new glasses to a new windshield.  I am looking at two different manufacturers - Freedon Shield and WindVest.  Can I hear everyone's thoughts on the two?

Have Freedom Shield on mine and like it... add to that we (CVOHarley) get a disccount from them - 15% OFF WINDSHIELDS for Street Glide, Electra Glide, Ultra - Freedom Shields.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 04:32:57 PM »

I think there are four good players to choose from:  Clearview; Freedom; Windvest; and Long Ride.  I have experience with Clearview w/recurve on my '06 SEUC (that was about the only one available back then) an it worked great.  I had a Windvest shield on my '06 SEVROD, and though a different product, the quality and function of the shield was excellent.  They all look a little different, and are cut slightly different.  Whichever one, the measuring part is the critical thing:  get you a ruler and masking tape it to the front of your current shield so that the measurements are facing you (most manufacturers measure from the top edge of the fairing, so let the ruler rest there when you tape it on)...sit on the bike in your "normal" riding position (slouching, sitting straight with good posture, etc.)  Then pick a point that is straight out from between your upper lip and nose where you can still see the ground about 50 feet in front of the bike.  That lets you see over the shield so it's not in your line of sight going down the road, but is high enough to throw the wind over your head.  Then pick whichever one most closely meets that measurement and that you like the looks of.  Just don't get a really dark tint...smoke is fine, but dark will not be good at night to see things immediately in front of the scoot.

That's my opinion/suggestion.  I think all of those vendors offer discounts to members here.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 05:34:51 PM »

Why don't passengers like the Klock Werks windshields?  I hate to keep going back to looks but the Klock Werks seems to look better to me than the Freedom Shield...

What a couple friends have said is it seems like the side cuts direct air around the rider but right into the passenger.  Have a friend that switches back to freedom when his wife rides to correct it.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 07:33:49 PM »

Sklywag is definitely onto something with the windshield question. I wear prescription glasses and have battled this for years. Bought some PanOptx (7 eye) glasses and that did the trick, mostly. Then ended up having my perscription along with transition lenses put in and thought I was in heaven. Then I heard about Freedom Shields windshield system from this site, no less, and installed an 8" dark smoke (I'm 6'2" I would recommend the 7" for your height, but check their website) and no more buffeting! Not even with my regular glasses at freeway speeds. Check them out.

www.freedomshields.net/

Always had wind buffeting on my old SG but I didn't know what it was  :nixweiss: I just thought that what I felt was the result of riding a mc.  That changed when I got my new SG.  I didn't like the little stock shield that came with it so I ordered a 9" Freedom Shield.  After I put it on I realized that I was looking through it and not over it, but I was ok with this configuration and now I love it cause there is NO wind buffeting at all.   :P. I could ride 90 mph with a ballcap on and it would stay on my head, so YES wind buffeting is all about the height of your shield.   :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 08:17:24 PM »

I use Spotter (Haze with Copper lens) perfect fit and best wrap around glasses I have had, on my Fatboy with no windshield no wind gets in my eyes and on my SG they sit snug, no more tears and wiping eyes.

http://www.sunglassconnection.com.au/m_spotters/?page=6

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 08:19:58 PM by Aussie »

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 11:55:03 PM »

I personally like the Von Zipper line that have the glass lenses.  They take getting use to the weight difference vs. the lightweight plastic, but the additional weight of the glass, along with a thicker style frame keeps them from rattling around on the head, and having the effect of wind buffeting.  

I do agree that the straps probably do the best job of holding a set of glasses in place, but I personally don't like those.  I also had a set of VZ's get accidentally broken, and they sent me a replacement set at no charge!

They may make you look like Roy Orbison (according to the little lady), but my eyes don't dry out, and they stay on the noggin.  They also have one of the best polarizations along with Maui Jim - puts the other makers to shame.

http://us.vonzipper.com/collection_styles.php?collection_id=27

Good luck on finding something that works for you - everyones noggin is different.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 12:07:20 AM »

As Possum says, "everyone is different" but I will tell you that I have gone thru 4 different shields ending up with a 15 inch Cee Glide and still has some issues with buffeting until I put the strap on the Oakley's. Went for over 200 miles today (about half on the freeway at high speeds) and the problem is mostly gone... I have very sensitive eyes and can not go with just wrap around glasses without something between the glasses and my skin and though without the strap, my eyes are fine, still dealt with the buffeting.
Everyone is different!
Alan

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 04:14:18 PM »

huge help

2011 CVO™ Street Glide® > Front End Components

Chrome Front Fork Air Baffle

Deflect the cold night wind rushing between the fork tubes of your Touring model. This stylish chrome air baffle replaces the Original Equipment black baffle on '00-earlier models. Includes chrome mounting hardware.

58520-79TC

Fits '80-later FLT, FLHT, FLHX and FLHR models. Does not fit Trike models.

MSRP US $26.95

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I also use one of these baffles. So for me it's a dark smoke Freedom Shield (their darkest is still easy to see through even at night), Harley's fork baffle, and a pair of 7eye frames that fit your head. :2vrolijk_21:
I also use a 3 pocket Boss Bags windshield pouch setup. They are the best I have found and I believe a setup like this will not work with the Klockwerks windshield because of its shape.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:19:22 PM by rayson56 »
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
Re: Re: Best Sunglasses for Blocking Wind???
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 06:55:45 PM »

http://www.oakley.com/products/6685/24971

These are the ones that I have.  Love them, the ability to change lenses at any time and rubber gasket seal well but still allow ventilation.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 07:14:01 PM »

huge help

2011 CVO™ Street Glide® > Front End Components

Chrome Front Fork Air Baffle

Deflect the cold night wind rushing between the fork tubes of your Touring model. This stylish chrome air baffle replaces the Original Equipment black baffle on '00-earlier models. Includes chrome mounting hardware.

58520-79TC

Fits '80-later FLT, FLHT, FLHX and FLHR models. Does not fit Trike models.

MSRP US $26.95

Ok i'm an idiot, just can't picture where this baffle is installed? I'm baffled
Sorry for jacking your thread....
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:20:34 PM by Hawg »
Hawg

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 09:00:53 PM »

here is a pic
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 21 queries.