Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bell Mag-9 any reviews on this helmet?  (Read 6470 times)

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
Bell Mag-9 any reviews on this helmet?
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:04:58 AM »

I am looking at a new 3/4 helmet in the spring, so I am not in a hurry.

I have 5 year old HJC carbon fiber I love the light weight of this type but it looks like  no one is still making these.  I looked at HJC and Daytona I don't see any on their web sites. 
I figure Poly carbonate is the way to go. 
I will want to add a headset most likely my HD Boom 77117-10.  I will see what JM offers before I decide.
Right now the leading helmet is a Bell Mag-9.  Has anyone tried one of these?  I will probably take off the faceshield, I will try it both ways before I remove it for good.
One last Q;  Will the red one match up with my scarlet red on my bike, doesn't have to be exact I just want to know if it will look good together.
Thanks
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

Re: Bell Mag-9 any reviews on this helmet?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:23:20 AM »

I just looked at the Revzilla video on the SMH-10 bluetooth.
I haven't considered Bluetooth maybe I should. Will some of you give me the lowdown on Bluetooth, is just for the cell phone?
Thanks

Sidecar Dan

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 SERG/Hannigan SP2

• CVO1: 2012 SERG CVO
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:03:47 PM »

Just got mine.  Only worn on one ride so far.  Sena Version.  

What I can tell you:

I'm RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of a L and an XL...bought the L which is snug...but I ride Bell 500 3/4's and they break in about 10% so I think I bought the right Lid.  Pearl White is a very close math to my Skunk.  Comfortable and fit and finish is good for this price.  I've used a NOLAN 102 for years...it's not that quality...but it's not that price either.  I like the option of being able to take it apart and configure it.  I mainly bought it for riding with the wife for COMS.  

SENA part:  I've only used it a little bit.  I've not ridden it on the SERG yet...road it on my Softail with 111"....and low wind protection....the phone and voice commands didn't work as it was TOO LOUD.  But when I was going around town it worked fine and it may be "user error".  Plenty of volume.  I use IPhone with it...you can adjust the "EQ" to make it less "treble/tinny" sounding.  It connects to Bluetooth by "prioritizing".  Example.  Phone 1st, Then GPS, etc....So the phone has priority, but you can connect to multiple devices.  I've only done 2 at a time.  The noise canceling is great.  I tested it by standing next to my TV on a call....no one could hear anything but my voice.  I can add more later once I've had a chance to really use it completely.  

I will post more later next week when I get my SERG back from the shop.  I like Bell products over all.  Remember they are "snug" or on the small side, but break-in about 10% larger in size.

Dundertaker AKA Sidecar Dan

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:05:42 PM by Sidecar Dan »
Sidecar Dan

There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness!

Sidecar Dan

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 SERG/Hannigan SP2

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 09:05:14 PM »

Pic on my skull
Sidecar Dan

Sidecar Dan

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 SERG/Hannigan SP2

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:09:06 PM »

2nd one....so you can visualize how cool you'll look on the bike!   :bananarock:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 10:28:47 PM by Dundertaker »
Sidecar Dan

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 11:42:49 PM »

That poor little pup looks like he's so embarrassed to be in the same photo with you.   ;D
Jesus is Lord

Sidecar Dan

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 SERG/Hannigan SP2

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 04:34:52 PM »

He wanted to know if that helmet box had "treats" ..........:)   :bananarock:
Sidecar Dan

Sidecar Dan

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 SERG/Hannigan SP2

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 10:34:56 PM »

OK, I have 2K on this helmet now.  Here are my thoughts:

They run SMALL...I'm right in between what they said was a L and XL and it is a tight L, but an XL may have been too loose with break in.  (Not their fault, but an FYI)

With the speakers in (I have the Mag9 SENA with the speaker pods) I have to make sure my ears don't fold down, not a huge issue either, but it's all "how" I put the helmet on.  

The LINER doesn't "wrap" around the inside of the FOAM inside the helmet on your forehead.  The inside LINER is like a "beanie" vs. my old NOLAN which the liner wrapped around and snapped into the helmet.  Only issue is the liner has a RIBBED edged (like a microfiber towel edge) and I have to make sure it's pulled down or it digs into my forehead.  Nothing "painful" just annoying.  If you put the helmet on right it doesn't ride up and happen.  

The functionality of the helmet is great.  I'm right in between needing a larger windshield on the highway and NOT on my SERG and with the clear shield down it's fine.  I also have noticed so many "rock/bug/derbies" hits to my face over the years I prefer at 60 MPH to have a shield, which is why I wear the 3/4.    Everything works as advertised.  I leave the helmet pretty much set up as it comes.  But you can change it "8 ways" they say.  

Over all the helmet is a great value for the money.  Is it as nice as my old Nolan?  No, but it is a good helmet for the money.  It functions well, the Sena10 mod is great.  It's not hanging out as far, mic fits nice, etc....so all in all I would recommend it and I'd buy another one.  

SENA 10 kit:  The Communication portion works very well.  My wife and I had a Gold Wing before and were spoiled with the wired J&M headsets.  But these work well for talking.  I use an iPhone5 and I can answer calls (though I don't usually...why ride if I have to answer the phone?), but I've tested it and under 55 with the face shield down it does work surprisingly well.  Another cool thing with SIRI is I can send text messages and SIRI will read them to me by saying "read new message".  I can also reply (did this in slow moving traffic when a group was waiting for us).  FYI:  once the "new" message is read you have the option to "repeat/reply" but after you let that time lapse...you can't re-read old ones...just an odd thing I've learned.  
For Music?  Meh...they are SUPER loud, but tinny and no bass.  I'd like to improve the faring speakers, etc...but I listen to the SPEAKERS vs. the Headset 90% of the time.  At lower speed they work, but the quality isn't good for music at all.  I just noticed today they have an "ear bud" plug they JUST came out with.  That's "illegal" in some states to use IN EAR buds...but that would solve tons of "music" issues.  Again...plenty loud...just not deep enough to be pleasurable.  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:52:18 PM by Sidecar Dan »
Sidecar Dan

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 07:55:17 AM »

I am looking at a new 3/4 helmet in the spring, so I am not in a hurry.

I have 5 year old HJC carbon fiber I love the light weight of this type but it looks like  no one is still making these.  I looked at HJC and Daytona I don't see any on their web sites. 

When I read that I went and looked at a few of the manufactures I use and I could not find a open face in Carbon Fiber, odd.....

I'll be on the look out for one now, just because.....
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 04:46:51 PM »

I just ordered the Bell Mag 9 with SEMA-10 Bluetooth, in gloss Black.
I bought from Revzilla they did a Great job showing off the helmet in their video, I like that.
Should be here by Friday 7-26.

Sidecar Dan

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 SERG/Hannigan SP2

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 05:06:19 PM »

I just ordered the Bell Mag 9 with SEMA-10 Bluetooth, in gloss Black.
I bought from Revzilla they did a Great job showing off the helmet in their video, I like that.
Should be here by Friday 7-26.

Pop up some notes once you've used it for awhile.  Good luck! 
Sidecar Dan

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 09:16:55 PM »

Roger that Sidecar Dan!

I will be taking a road trip to my neice's wedding in NE Kansas.  shold me a chance to test it.

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.