Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Dunlop Tires  (Read 4603 times)

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Dunlop Tires
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 09:27:55 PM »

I got 16k miles out of my last set of American Elites, great tires. Great traction both on highways and mountain roads.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2019, 06:46:50 AM »

Thinking about the Dunlop American Elite next time, the 240 rear has deeper thread & hear better mileage from other owners with more of the narrower tires, but I did not appreciate Dunlop or HD customer service when I complained of their advertised “high mileage” & “two-compound multi-tread” tire not living up to their name.

i'm of the same mindset.  i noticed an issue with a dunlop tire that i felt should have been covered under their warranty.  got in contact with their customer service, and sent pictures, etc.  never heard boo from them.

in contrast, i had a question about the avon cobra chromes, contacted avon customer service and had an answer to my question right away.

i really liked the ride of the avon's but did not own them long enough to attest to their longevity.  but, when these oem dunlop's are due for change, i will go with the avon's again.  i refuse to spend my money where i don't feel like it is appreciated.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 05:14:02 AM »

I've had Dunlops on mine since new, this year I put Michelin Commander lls on and as of today I don't think I'll be going back.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 08:45:06 AM »

Dunlop vs Michelin vs Avon vs Metzler vs Shinko vs anything,....

In my experience the newest cheap tire will feel better than a worn expensive tire. Right now I am loving my new rear Dunlop American Elite. But two weeks ago, my old American Elite was riding and handling like crap. It howled in corners, and hopped around on the road. When I replaced my worn Commander IIs with Shinko 777s, it was the same experience. The Shinkos were very good tires, they just didn't last very long, about 6k.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 08:59:06 AM »

Funny how the tires on our cars can easily last 40k to 60k miles without serious loss of traction, cupping, howling, and all the other stuff motorcycle tires seem to do at 10k miles.  Even better, I can buy a good OEM quality tire for a midsize 4 wheeled vehicle for half the price they want for a OEM quality motorcycle tire.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 09:25:55 AM »

Funny how the tires on our cars can easily last 40k to 60k miles without serious loss of traction, cupping, howling, and all the other stuff motorcycle tires seem to do at 10k miles.  Even better, I can buy a good OEM quality tire for a midsize 4 wheeled vehicle for half the price they want for a OEM quality motorcycle tire.

Jerry
x2,

Rebel1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 11:17:05 AM »

I've ran American Elites for many years, after the original was worn out.  My last rear lasted 10K and had started cupping at 8K.  A friend was running Commander 2's and he had almost 20K on them.  I decided to try a set.  I got 18K before the rear started cupping and howling in the corners.  I replaced it when it had 19K.  If I get the same or better mileage, I won't be going back to American Elites.  The Commander 2's don't seem to be as squirrely on grooved or rutted surfaces.  However, the Commander 2's did take more weights to get them balanced than I've ever used on the Elites.
Bob

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2019, 10:14:44 PM »

In my experience the AE Dunlop is superior to the HD brand, I've ran several of each.  :nixweiss: Right now I've got several thousand miles on a set of Avon Cobra Chrome and I'm really liking them, wet, dry and quiet. The tire pressure is different on these to comparable tires, I'm at 47psi for the rear. The sidewall is not as stiff and that's all I really concerned with is having a flat and coming off the bead seat prolly won't let you repair on side of the road. BWTFDIK

If I toted a fat girl I'd run the rear at 50psi  :drink:

added Avon tire pressure chart
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 08:41:44 AM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2019, 08:53:04 AM »

For years I use to change out back tire twice to every front tire. Now I just change both at the same time. We just have two tires and it's worth the piece of mind in doing so. I don't get near the milage on the rear as some has posted but I get why. And I use dynabeads for balance.  :orange:

Just Ride

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2019, 05:49:52 PM »

I've got several thousand miles on a set of Avon Cobra Chrome and I'm really liking them, wet, dry and quiet.

i really liked the cobras that i put on.  when these tires on the new bike wear out, i'll probably get another set of avon's.  i'm not really happy with dunlop's customer service, so other than the aspect of the tires feeling really good anyway, i'm gonna use my power as a consumer to buy where i feel my money is appreciated.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2019, 09:21:09 AM »

i really liked the cobras that i put on.  when these tires on the new bike wear out, i'll probably get another set of avon's.  i'm not really happy with dunlop's customer service, so other than the aspect of the tires feeling really good anyway, i'm gonna use my power as a consumer to buy where i feel my money is appreciated.

What exactly was your issue with dunlop and customer service? If I may so ask?

And yeah that's why I'm still riding an 09 as I'll spend my monies where I feel appreciated and get some support. But that's a story on it's own.  :drink:

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2019, 11:05:43 AM »

my wife had a oem dunlop on her bike, it had started developing 'cracks' or separation where the two different compounds were joined around the circumference and some dry rot on the sidewall.  the tread was still in great shape, and it was well within the service life of the tire for age.  contacted dunlop customer service and sent them pics, and never heard back from them.  no, 'no we won't cover it', nothing....

J.D.

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2019, 11:51:17 AM »

I never cared for the stock Dunlops.  Didn't wear well and the rubber seemed to get hardened with age.  Liked Avons ok but didn't last very long.  Running Michelin Commander II now and like them enough that I stopped trying alternates, although I may try the Dunlop AE at some point.

Tail Rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2019, 12:27:05 PM »

I have no issue with the stock D407/408F tires except for the $300 replacement price. I was told yesterday that the Elite was basically the same tire, just different tread design because not sold as strictly HD...and nearly $100 cheaper
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 07:03:55 PM by Tail Rider »

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2019, 01:10:08 PM »

When I extended the warranty on my bike I asked about the tire/wheel coverage.......does not need to be the Harley tire to be covered!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 25 queries.