Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: EVO's main weak point(s)?  (Read 53813 times)

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
Re: EVO's main weak point(s)?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 07:52:04 PM »

Amen on the sound...that was the main point of picking up an Evo....I like the Softail looks, too.  Tranny shifts a bit hard though, even after putting in Mobil 1 synthetic 75/140 gear oil.

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2010, 12:11:33 PM »

Run that Mobil for a while then dump it and put in Red Line Shock Proof oil.  After a few miles it looks like strawberry quick,  but it has sure worked well for me.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2010, 02:38:54 PM »

I'm jumping in on the tail of this, but I agree with John Sachs, and will add that the rear cylinder base WILL eventually leak/weep. Certainly not the end of the world at all.
In certain instances, the cases were known to fracture behind the rear lifter block in the 90* machined corner in even in OE trim, but all in all, those 80" Evo's were a damn good engine.
Same bore/stroke combination(3.500" hole, with a 4.250" arm) that S&S was contracted by the Moco, to develop for Shovel application, in the mid/late 70's. :)
Scott

kansaskim47

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 11:27:48 PM »

:)
98 Roadking with 124k with no issues. Changed carb, cam and cam followers at 36k, still runs great. Has always had some mechanical noise in the top end, but magnetic plug and filters have not shown any metal.

Has always run Castrol GTX 20-50 changed at 3k miles with a black NAPA 1215 filter.

Only problems have been 2 starter clutches, a pinched gasket in the front rocker box, and a cracked coil.

Still running the original clutch, primary, drive belt, and clevblock bushings.

Evo's main weakness is in the cylinder base gaskets. Make sure you have some heat in the cylinders before you put much load on the engine. Idling for 30-45 seconds or until you can feel definite heat in the lower cylinder works well.

Would take off anytime for a cross-country trip.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2010, 02:39:17 PM »

:)
Still running the original clutch, primary, drive belt, and clevblock bushings.

Evo's main weakness is in the cylinder base gaskets. Make sure you have some heat in the cylinders before you put much load on the engine. Idling for 30-45 seconds or until you can feel definite heat in the lower cylinder works well.

Would take off anytime for a cross-country trip.
Good to hear & good advice on the warm-up.  Gotta luv those eV0's  :drink: :-* ;D har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2010, 03:39:12 PM »

Well, I did finally buy one, a 96 Heritage Softail Classic - luv that motor sound....is a bit rougher ride than my Ultra SE, but to be expected.  Sure like how cool it runs.  Is a fun ride.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2010, 12:07:22 PM »

Always warmed up before taking off so never had a base gasket let go. I was warned about that years ago and I paid attention. Tried to beat the 110 leaks but still they still got me. I always wait til the rear rocker box feels warm.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2010, 09:23:15 PM »

Besides my 06 Softie, I have an 08 Ultra with a 110" motor - no leaks on the 110 after 40,000 miles.  Had one leak early on that was just a oil filter adapter gasket (it has an oil cooler).
T

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2010, 09:38:32 PM »

Well this has been an interesting "THREAD" to catch up on..........for sure.

It's great to see the positive feed back about "probably" what is considered one of HD's greatest engineering and marketing conflicts at the time and utimately given up for something less "difficult" to manufacture, to today becoming more and more a very sought after ride, ie: The FXR, for those of you interested you might like to get some popcorn and your favorite :drink: and take a "peek" at a historical perspective of what and why the FXR may be ultimately known as one of HD's finest models ever produced.

Simply, CLICK HERE

Also here is a pretty good "THREAD" discussing some of the reflections above that were dealing with the "weaknesses" regarding various cylinder base gasket leaks, head gasket leaks, and even some of the issues surrounding the rocker area leaks.  You will perhaps discover what some suggested "fixes" might entail and basically how simple they were to implement for the most part.

If you wish to take a "peek", simply CLICK HERE.

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 09:50:32 PM by FXR2evo99 »

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 12:09:52 AM »

here is my 1991 FXR.  the only major problem I had was the inevitable base gasket leak at 20k or so.
After 15 years of riding, I replaced her with a S&S 124 and smile every time I take her out.  I use the 2006 CUSE for my long trips, but find myself riding this bike a lot more. She has been through a lot of changes and I think the only thing that remains stock is the frame :) :)

best

Free

bknerr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2010, 12:45:36 AM »

from what i`ve seen, they don`t take kindly to increased cylinder diameter. studs way too close to cylinder wall. the edelbrock heads really woke mine up though.
1963 flh
1974 fxe

2003 flhrc
2008 flhtcuse3

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2010, 12:52:31 AM »

My first real performance upgrade was Edelbrock heads. must have been around 1994 or so. I really liked them. had them until I got the bigger engine.

Free

TomL

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2011, 12:00:51 PM »

In 86/87? there was a weak spot in the crank cases due to thin castings, it could crack and become an oil leaker. Next thing is the starter prior to 89, it works but just does not have the umph of the new gear reduction type. Cylinder base gaskets were another headache thru the 80's but that has been rectified with a new type. Cylinder studs on the very early EVO's were junk but the factory changed them about 87 I beleive. Also the replacement of the Torrington inner cam bearing didn't work for long if you went to high seat pressure valve spings. Otherwise the motor is near bomb proof tho some will say the push rod angles hinderd performance some, hence the TC and its XL type angles were an improvement, except too dam many moving/wear parts on the TC. TL

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2011, 06:35:01 PM »

The Evo was a fine motor in its time, great sound, and very reliable. On the hand they were very gutless, and back then the brakes on every HD were just plain dangerous. Ahh, those good old days.

I presently own a 2008 CVO Ultra, and so far it has been very reliable. Hope you enjoy your Evo.      
Dangerous brakes, indeed, which led me to replace the single piston front caliper with a HHI 4-piston squeezer....now I can stop and make lemonade at every stoplight!

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 07:41:01 AM »

We often complain about HD quality, and rightfully so. They have basically been making the same bike over and over again for decades, so it should be near perfect by now. However, when we look back at what HD put out the door just 10 to 15 years ago, what a difference. Better electrical systems, great stereos, better brakes, batteries that actually last several years rather than half a riding season, no shaking at any speed above 5 mph, better power, better seats. Hmmm, maybe these are the good old days, but we just don't know it yet.  

Better electrics: except the ACRs that fry their wiring, heated grips that last a month, electronic dip sticks that last a month...  Great stereos: Maybe it would help drown out the "normal" knocking mine makes and the MoCo refuses to even admit to (and they don't make the stereos).  Better brakes: my second set of rotors warped and will be replaced with Lyndols for a mere thousand bucks or so.  Batteries: They don't make them (fortunately).  No shaking: Mine does when you roll off the throttle ("normal"), and scissored cranks aren't exactly smooth.  Yes, these may be the good old days, but only because they will care even less as the number of bikes sold dwindles.  I've riden them for a lot of years, but this will be my last Harley.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.