Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: to much oil  (Read 4673 times)

StreetStalker

to much oil
« on: June 06, 2011, 01:16:06 PM »

I have a fxs .If it has to much oil in it would it blow the oil out the crank case breather. The bike sat for 3 years. An decided to get it running. Went out drained the old oil out. Started an let it warm up.Walk inside a min. an came out an oil was just puking it out.The ran fine when it was parked. It still shows full on dip stick. Just worried about messing it up if i start it again.Twin Cam still runs ...lol ;D
What I was told to get the amount of oil that they call for the motor has to be dry.
When you drain the oil theres still 3/4 of a quart left. Thats what Ive been told.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:08:32 PM by StreetStalker »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: to much oil
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 01:22:39 PM »

I have a fxs .If it has to much oil in it would it blow the oil out the crank case breather
My 103 stroker has always believed that it has too much oil in it if that's the cause of puking oil out of the breather.  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 01:37:23 PM »

I have a fxs .If it has to much oil in it would it blow the oil out the crank case breather

I don't know diddley about an EVO, but my 103 TC used to always like to be 1/2 quart low...if I filled it up, it would just puke it out the breather 'till it got where it wanted to be, so I gave in and let her be 1/2 quart low all the time.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:02:39 PM »

I don't know diddley about an EVO, but my 103 TC used to always like to be 1/2 quart low...if I filled it up, it would just puke it out the breather 'till it got where it wanted to be, so I gave in and let her be 1/2 quart low all the time.
My EVO does the same thing my twincam does....they seek what I refer to as their 'happy level' of oil....but, that doesn't make me happy.  If the manual says they should hold & run with a certain amt. of oil, then they don't make me happy puking it out.  Damned motorsickles.  >:( aaargh.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:45:09 AM »

StreetStalker, There is definiely about 30 ounces of oil left in the engine of an Evo when you change oil. When I change my oil I drain the tank, and dump in 3 quarts. (motor previously warmed up). The I pull the filter, put a oil catcher that I made out of an empty gallon milk jug and let it idle until clean oil comes out where the filter goes. It usually starts to start looking clean at about 25-30 ounces. The I shut it off, install new filter and top off tank. My question is how much should I keep in the oil  tank? If I fill it as per HD recommendations it always throws  a little out the breather (S&S carb) and also the lower vent which is routed up and around the outside of the oil tank and down towards the frame. ( it has a one way valve in it but oil vapor builds up and it still drips when I come home from a ride. It has  an S&S 107 engine so it vents from the bottom next to the oil pump as well as on top.It runs strong, and this is just a small irritation. Anybody know where the happy medium for the amount of oil in the tank should be? I am trying to figure that out now and I am down pretty close to the add mark.It is not throwing any blue smoke it just seems to send oil out of both breather vents. Thanks for any input. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 03:20:30 PM »

Streetstalker, I spoke to a tech at S&S since I made my last post. He said that there is a check valve in the oil pump that  is suppose to prevent oil from filling the crankcase when you let your bike sit.(Evo with horse shoe style tank). His remedy was to drive bike, check oil when hot and keep about 1 to 1 1/2 inches below bottom of filler neck when hot. I haven't done this yet so I don't know what the dipstick will read. He keeps the oil in his heritage at that level. Next time out I will give this a try and let you know.CAHDABIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 08:06:14 PM »

If you take apart the check valve , just a ball & seat, and clean everything up good, if should no longer puke oil out the breather once you put it back together.
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 01:53:41 AM »

If you take apart the check valve , just a ball & seat, and clean everything up good, if should no longer puke oil out the breather once you put it back together.

Seeped past the check valve (ball & spring).........old time 'fix'....leave the ball in the seat, and with a piece of dowel on top of the ball, gently tap with a hammer....GENTLY

'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 01:37:17 PM »

Seeped past the check valve (ball & spring).........old time 'fix'....leave the ball in the seat, and with a piece of dowel on top of the ball, gently tap with a hammer....GENTLY

Thanks,
Yep , exactly, I forgot to add that part about reassembly !
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.