Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Will a 88' motor fit into a 1995 Heritage Softtail with the EVO  (Read 6764 times)

wolfman

• Senior CVO Member
  • serg

Anyone know?
SERT, V&H Power Duels, SE mufflers, Dyno-tuned , Heavy Breather, Corbin Solo , windsplitter windshield , J&M 250w amp/7.25" speakers.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
Re: Will a 88' motor fit into a 1995 Heritage Softtail with the EVO
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 05:31:18 PM »

I don't know, but why would you go from EVO to a POStc  :nixweiss:   Doc

wolfman

• Senior CVO Member
  • serg
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 05:38:42 PM »

I liked the 88" in  my 2005 RG. And I have a buddy that will sell me one with 9 miles on it for next to nothing.
SERT, V&H Power Duels, SE mufflers, Dyno-tuned , Heavy Breather, Corbin Solo , windsplitter windshield , J&M 250w amp/7.25" speakers.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 05:49:13 PM »

I quess if the price is right, but with those early tc's most folks were wondering how to go the other way.  Good luck with your post.  Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 10:43:40 PM »

Never used it so can't speak to ease of use or effectiveness.  But a company called Vulcan Engineering makes an adapter that's supposed to allow using Twin Cam A engines to replace Evo engines.

http://vulcanworks.net/store_4/product.php?productid=188&cat=13&page=1

wolfman

• Senior CVO Member
  • serg
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 07:43:36 AM »

thank you!

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 07:51:06 AM »

It fits but the adaptor plate looks like chit.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 09:35:11 AM »

It fits but the adaptor plate looks like chit.

Get a can of the Harley silver or the Harley black engine paint and blend it all together.  Adaptation and aesthetic don't always go hand in hand.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 09:55:35 AM »

OK Don while your still hot, I've always thought of putting a carborated E motor into my 00 SERG when the time comes. Got adaptor ??   Lou

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 11:27:12 AM »

OK Don while your still hot, I've always thought of putting a carborated E motor into my 00 SERG when the time comes. Got adaptor ??   Lou

Just sat down from moving sheetrock for two hours.  Whipped and dumber than normal.  A what kind of motor?

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 12:36:57 PM »

Just sat down from moving sheetrock for two hours.  Whipped and dumber than normal.  A what kind of motor?

Evolution into a TC frame for my 00 SERG. Thanks,   Lou

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 12:56:32 PM »

Evolution into a TC frame for my 00 SERG. Thanks,   Lou

Oy vey.....   I am pooped.

Have never seen that done.  Though obviously with enough parts, a torch, a welder and a big enough hammer you could get there.  I wouldn't though.

The early Twin Cam's weakness was the cam chest (primarily).  A set of cam bearings goes a long way to fixing that.  Go gear drive and your much farther home.

If the Marelli system is a concern there are ways around that.  Swapping from Marelli to carb is relatively painless.  Get the carb and intake you want, appropriate fuel fittings from Pingel and the ignition wiring harness for a carb'd bike (32435-00).  It's been two or three years since I did one but if memory serves that's it.  It's a Saturday job.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 01:05:58 PM »

I think your right about this and will heed your advice. I already did the S&S 510g so the cam chest is covered. Its the MM that has me concerned and I'll face that when the time comes. I think by now Wolfman knows about the cam chain tensioners and cam bearing issues with the early TC's.  Lou

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 01:43:10 PM »

I think your right about this and will heed your advice. I already did the S&S 510g so the cam chest is covered. Its the MM that has me concerned and I'll face that when the time comes. I think by now Wolfman knows about the cam chain tensioners and cam bearing issues with the early TC's.  Lou

Besides the carb swap there is at least one other conversion option for Marelli.  Will preface this by saying I don't mind the Marelli system.  If one is familiar with its quirks it's not especially difficult to maintain.  In fact my larger concern nowadays is the boogey man of Marelli but that sooner rather than later primary components will be obsoleted from Harley inventories.

If, for whatever reason, swapping Marelli is a consideration but you're interested in staying fuel injected Zippers offers a package.  I'm not a Zippers fan.  Though my issues aren't specifically with the Thundermax package and are more with the company itself and the quality of some machine work I've seen come from their shop.

Zippers does offer a conversion package to change a Marelli bike to Delphi using thier Thundermax ECM.  It's the T-Max ECM inside a Marelli the form factor.  So the ECM bolts on exactly as did the Marelli module.  You get a a complete 02+ throttle body and some pieces to convert the fuel rail/delivery so that you stay using the separate pressure and return lines from the original Marelli tank.  You'll need o2 bungs in the pipes if you want to add the "auto-tuning" module; though that's not a requirement for the job.  When it's all done you're no longer using the cam position sensor.  So that's a problematic old part that's no longer in the system.

The kit isn't cheap.  But it's not that bad to do.  My 2000 crapped out just outside of St. Louis a couple years ago (ish).  ECM and cam position sensor seemed to have committed murder-suicide.  An indie shop within range had one of these kits in stock.  Between what tools I had and what the shop loaned me I got the kit installed in a truck stop parking lot in a day that probably seemed a lot longer than it really was.  Fortunately my head pipes already had sensor bungs. 

Rode the bike home rather than having to have it towed somewhere and coming back after it later with a trailer.  So saved most of the cost of the kit by avoiding those expenses and time.  And the kit has worked flawlessly since.  It does start better than it did when it was Marelli.  And all the onboard diagnostics and other software controls available through T-Max is an upgrade over being able to manage just about nothing with the Marelli setup.

Anyway.....  carb option would be similar or slightly less work and less expense.  But a more modern and very effective FI conversion is out there too.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 12:34:44 AM »

Thanks again Don, your advice is always appreciated.  Lou
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.