Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Sena SM10 Bluetooth Transmitter for Harley  (Read 13865 times)

lynyrd1959

• CVO1: '13 Anniversary CVO Screamin'Eagle Ultra Classic
Re: Sena SM10 Bluetooth Transmitter for Harley
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 08:30:45 PM »

Dealership says tomorrow for the Zumo 665.  I hope they have it then.  I'm getting anxious!

Freeway speed test for the SPH10 vs wind noise tomorrow too.  Will give it a good thorough test & report what I find after I get back from picking up the new Zumo.

Got my tracking number from Spoiled Biker for the Harley bluetooth adapter.  It's coming from North Carolina, so hopefully I will see it before the weekend to complete the project.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 01:33:38 AM »

Harley ought to be the one coming out with a workable bluetooth unit.  They had a module a few years ago that integrated with the HK audio system but abandoned it leaving us without any factory option. 

The GM at my local Dealer told me a few weeks back that Harley is going to bluetooth the whole bike in the not too distant future, including the ability to read / update the ECM without plugging anything in. Hopefully it will include the radio / communication as well.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 09:16:39 AM »

Lynard;
  Do you know the difference between the speakers in your SPH10, and SEMA-10?
I have been looking at the SEMA-10 because of its fit with the Bell Mag-9, and the fact that I will need a new helmet soon. I might have to rethink if there is difference in sound quality.  I like the cusion ear speaker looks comfortable.
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

lynyrd1959

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 04:27:09 PM »

RedEagle,
I don't know the difference in those speakers or even if there is a difference at all. 

I have been experimenting with my SPH10 while waiting for my 665 to arrive.  I have found that bluetoothed to my iPhone 5, the headset speakers give reasonable music sound quality (remember, I'm more deaf than not) up to about 70 mph.  Nothing audiophile worthy, but quite capable of entertainment.  After that, I lose progressively more music at about the same rate I lose it for the HK speakers on the bike.  At 90 mph, I can tell what song it is, but can't hear much of anything else unless it's screamin' hard rock (most of my present hearing problems!).  The whole unit is VERY comfortable under my beanie helmet.

As for telephone use, Siri is good up to about 70 mph.  After that, I cup my hand in front of the microphone and she does well up to just over 80 mph. Does anyone know of a foam mic wind block with a small plastic shield on the windward side? That would be cool.  As far as in-call quality, I can hear the caller and she can hear me quite well at 90 mph.  In fact, I couldn't hear myself speak, but she said she could hear me better than when I call from inside my Jeep!  Very pleased with that. 

My hope is that the sound from the 665 will give more sound output under bluetooth conditions than the iPhone does.  I'll check in with that this weekend.

FlaHeatWave,
My next thought is that they are going to put an iPad in place of the entire dash, at least on the baggers.  I can see it coming like a slow semi!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 05:29:59 PM »

My next thought is that they are going to put an iPad in place of the entire dash, at least on the baggers.  I can see it coming like a slow semi!
Already being done in the aftermarket...

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

lynyrd1959

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 05:51:10 PM »

That semi was moving WAY faster than I thought!!!

awalker14

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE Black/Crimson
    • CVO2: 19 BMW R1250 GSA
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 08:02:18 AM »

Any results on the Spoiled Biker Bluetooth unit yet using it with the HK audio system?  I'm curious to know the sound quality of both transmitting and receiving when using the CB, intercom and phone capability.  Thanks for your reports so far.
06 Black/Candy Crimson FLHTCUSE; V&H TD's Ovals SE AC PCIII; SE Hyd Tens & Camplate Redshift 575's; Detach TP w/ Corbin Gunfighter; Zumo w/ 8gb SDHC (a lot of tunes)Clearview 8" Recurve; Minibeast II 128db Airhorn

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 01:22:27 PM »

I am very curious about the success of the Spoiled Biker BT setup.
Please tell me more!

Also, about that Zumo for sale....
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 01:28:57 PM »

Bump!
Any new News?
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

lynyrd1959

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 12:58:04 AM »

Well, as it all turns out, the Sena doesn't amplify the sound enough for me with my bad hearing.  It functions very well otherwise, including fit, and especially with phone calls through Siri.  Great for speeds under 60 mph.
The Spoiled Biker unit works, but the sound has a fair amount of static unless you switch it to stereo, in which case you lose the use of the mic. It works well for the CB, but if you are riding close with compatible equipment, the Sena's intercom feature works great.

As for the Garmin, it works well the way I have it set up.  I put the Sirius XM satellite radio on the Garmin to better allow my wife to Bluetooth it to her headset while I am using the HK radio and all it's functions.  The problem with that is she gets the Garmin voice commands and I don't when she is Bluetoothed to it.

My next try is the "NoiseHush" earplug bluetooth unit which includes earplug headphones.  You still have a wire from the earplugs to the Bluetooth unit (about the size of a quarter), but you can clip it anywhere you want, bluetooth to anything you want, use whatever headphones you want, and it has volume increase capability well beyond what you can get with the Garmin or the iPhone.  Much more volume and much less wind noise.  I'm very happy with this setup.  It has a microphone built in, so if you clip it to your chin strap it should give you voice capabilities.  I have yet to try it with Siri or the CB.  This unit is VERY light weight and seems sturdy.  And it was very inexpensive.

I have seen a couple of products from Sena I am going to try next.  One seems to be their answer to the Spoiled Biker unit, the 'SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter'..  I'll be trying those before my trip to Canada in August and see what happens.

If I started over again, I would have the Garmin 665 with traffic and weather.  I would put the Sirius XM satellite on the HK on the Harley.  I would get the NoiseHush unit and clip it to the chin strap on my helmet, or the lapel of my Jacket.  I would use the earplug headphones that came with the NoiseHush.  I would then Try the 'Sena SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter' to see if that can manage everything.  Then I would get my wife the Sirius XM iPhone subscription and her own NoiseHush bluetooth and earplugs.

I would love to hear other solutions to these issues.  I'm interested in intermittently using all of the features, and being able to use them all at once at times on long trips.

PS; I will have my Garmin 660 for sale soon, after I consolidate all of the parts and pack it in the old 665 box.

Sorry about the delay on the testing and reporting of all this equipment.  I have been tending to my ill father out of state.  Now I'm back in the wind!

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2013, 11:07:39 PM »

Along the same line I have purchased the SM10 to try to meld the HD audio and the SENA.

I have the following, and note that I do NOT have a Zumo.

HD Radio with XM CB and HD NAV sys

iPhone 4s

SMH10

SM10

SpoiledBiker HD to 3.5 jack adapter.

I am syncing the iphone to the Headset and to gain BT access to my XM,AM,FM,CB, WB & NAV I bought the SM10.
I was concerned that there would be conflicts or priority issues with the A2DP since the phone and SM10 both use this protocol.
The headset can listen to multiple HFP connections at once, but not so with the Stereo music; only one A2DP can be received by the headset at one time.
Searching the web has provide only info related to Zumo based systems.
I wanted to know what would happen with no Zumo so I had to guinea pig this myself. (it seems that EVERYbody has a Zumo)

The problem I anticipated has been addressed by Sena already. If the SM is off and you fire up the SMH, it pairs with the iphone both HFP AND A2DP.
That is to say, it connects as a phone (HFP) AND connects to the iphone's stereo music player (A2DP). The SMH10 just announces "phone connected".

Now I turn on the SM10, the headset announces "media connected". At this point the headset has dropped the music portion of the iPhone, giving music
connection priority to the SM10 using, again, A2DP protocol. Whatever input I have going into the SM via a cable to the Audio IN is broadcast over stereo BT to the headset.
I have the Spoiled Biker adapter plugged into the HD connector and the little coiled cable from there to the SM10's audio IN.
This setup still gives phone calls top priority, muting the sound from the SM10 when on a call. hang up and the SM10 (my HD radio) comes back up.
if I decide I would rather hear music from the iPhone, I can switch the SM10 'OFF' and the phone music will reconnect!
I have only used it briefly and I will test more and type more later, but for now, just know that this setup seems to work with the one large caveat that it does NOT support
 any microphone for CB, this is listen-only.
Smaller issues with sound quality... I'll post later on all that.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:42:02 PM by MrSurly »

2010FLHTCUSE5

lynyrd1959

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2013, 07:03:42 PM »

Great writeup MrSurly,

Yours seems to be my experience as well, when I don't have the Zumo on.  Does your 'SpoiledBiker HD to 3.5 jack adapter' have Bluetooth capability?

Something I failed to mention on my previous post is that I hooked my Spoiled Biker 'Harley Bluetooth Adapter: Harley-HC2' to the passenger Harley plug to keep it from being in my way while riding.  This has, however, been a problem in that I cannot make any corrections/changes to the unit or see if it is working at all in case of failure unless I stop, get off the bike, open the trunk, and work with it.  I'm going to bring it up front until I get it figured out.

I do like the Spoiled Biker for the CB transceiver capabilities.  Actually, the only thing I haven't been able to get from the Zumo without Bluetoothing to it directly is the XM Satellite.  In my case this is good because my wife likes the XM better than I anyway. I just Bluetooth her to the Zumo & myself to the Harley and my iPhone.

btw, the test of the NoiseHush Bluetooth microphone happens week after next due to the extreme heat here.  I have a metal badge on my seat and after it sat in the sun all day it burned my tail through my BDU pants!  My brain doesn't work well above 80 degrees, let alone 110+.  SoCal is a nice place to visit, but I really belong in the North, the farther the better.  I think the burn was my ancestors telling me it's time to go.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 07:57:41 PM »

The adapter that I am using is purely a jack adapter, no actual electronics involved, available here: http://www.spoiledbiker.com/harleyadap.html

I did see on eBay, an interesting variant; it is a similar piece with TWO jacks, one of them being MIC in. It would appear that using it with my setup would allow using some simple hand MIC for the occasional CB use.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Headset-Adapter-1998-2013-Touring-7-Pin-/121114393852?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c32fafcfc&vxp=mtr

2010FLHTCUSE5

lynyrd1959

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 07:58:03 PM »

MrSurly,

Did you check out the 'Harley Bluetooth Adapter: Harley-HC2' from Spoiled Biker I mentioned in some of my prior posts? It allows me to use everything my Harley puts out AND takes in; via Bluetooth.  This means you can use your CB to both receive AND transmit by plugging this Harley-HC2 in to your Harley's headphone jack.  I tried it out a few weeks ago and it works very well.  As I mentioned before, I need to take it off of the passenger plug where it is mounted in my trunk and put it on my plug up on my tank.  The reason is, If you want better sound quality for music with stereo, you have to push the button once after pairing.  This toggles between; transmit/receive CB, radio, CD, AM/FM, etc. from the Harley in mono with microphone capability; and stereo music without transmit capabilities via microphone. 

I probably confused the whole thing with my lousy explanation, but if you are looking to fully use your CB as Harley installed it, via Bluetooth, (along with all other Harley audio functions) this is the only product I have found that for sure does it all.  At $299.95 it had better do it all!  I will post my progress and further impressions of this device as I am able to work more with it.

The product on E-Bay you mentioned in your post does look interesting. I wonder if anyone out there has any experience with it?

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 12:14:24 PM »

I did look at the HC-2. I didn't go that way primarily because
1) I don't expect to use the CB (though I might listen in sometimes)
2) I would need TWO of them for the passenger to be able to hear the same audio.
It's handy to 'dance' to the same song.  :bananarock:

The appeal of the SM10 which I did buy is twofold:
A). It broadcasts the same to each of two headsets
B). It will accept two inputs and it prioritizes them.

Using an AUX cable from the HD radio on Audio IN, I can hear everything the HD system provides including CB and XM.
My passenger also gets the same  audio. If I plug any other device into the SM10's Aux IN, it will override the HD radio
 when it sends output. Think Radar Detector, a GPS, whatever.
I have a Garmin Nuvi (not Zumo) that is a 'car' GPS (yes, they're different). This had no audio out so I added a switched stereo headphone jack on a pigtail as an experiment. I have this plugged in to the AUX on the SM10. It did operate in the garage; not yet road tested.
Here's what I've found so far:
Headset pairs with iPhone
Headset pairs with hub (SM10)
I can take a phone call as normal.
The headset mutes all other audio when on phone
When not on phone, headset plays whatever the hub is getting on Audio IN. XM, FM, whatever.
When my Nuvi makes an announcement, (on the hub's AUX IN) the hub lowers the volume of, but doesn't mute, the HD radio and sends the Nuvi's audio to the headset.

Really confusing trivial bit;you may wish to skip ahead. If I want to listen to the music stored on my iPhone, I can power off the hub and the iPhone will 'pick up' the pairing for the music. This loses my audio from my GPS, of course, because it is wired to the hub I turned off.
Alternatively (untested) I can use the audio cable that was plugged into the HD radio and just plug it into the iPhone's jack. That way I would hear my iPod music over the hub and still have the GPS.

I need to sort out the volume settings to find the proper bias of source and amp.
If I crank the headset volume up and use the HD controls for volume, there's a buzz. If I try to control with the headset and leave the HD radio wide open, I get distortion. 
A mid-level on both seems to work fine, however.
The next issue will be getting the GPS's output louder through the hub. I believe there is a setting in the hub's configuration for this.

Keep in mind that this is all preliminary as I just got it on the bike yesterday. I am about to head out on a long-assed trip  and will learn how well or poorly this idea works soon.

2010FLHTCUSE5
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 24 queries.