Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: Sluggish  (Read 39306 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Sluggish
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2008, 01:22:39 PM »

Wow Henry, you are going all out on this build.  Sounds like it's going to be a sweet setup.  Hope this one lasts you a while longer though.   How much is this all setting you back, if you don't mind telling us? 

:devil:
Nothing, if I hit the lottery.  ;D  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2008, 01:27:43 PM »

I didn't want to be mistaken for the fireman fire marshall without the skills to mount billet chrome tour pak hinges!   :huepfenlol2:

(hope you feel better soon)

REGGAB

« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2008, 07:13:59 PM »

REGGAB

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2008, 11:20:12 PM »

Wow, you're going all out!   :2vrolijk_21:   Whose throttle body are you using?  Are you replacing the cylinders?

Scott,
Went to Hanceville today.  Thump is getting an HPI 55mm throttle body with a 58mm plenum.

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2008, 08:21:58 AM »

I am really impressed with rod's performance...if bob wood recommends them that says a lot...I have talked with them on the phone and they were very helpful...I'm sure they'll hook you up!!!
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

REGGAB

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2008, 08:43:16 AM »

I am really impressed with rod's performance...if bob wood recommends them that says a lot...I have talked with them on the phone and they were very helpful...I'm sure they'll hook you up!!!

I am too.  Rod and Richard know their stuff.  Looked at my new SE cam support plate yesterday after Richard finished installing the Wood's 408G cams with S&S gears.  He also rebuilt my clutch (new plates, spring, and starter gear) NICE!  Richard told me that Rod is going to do all the machine work (spigot boring, Timken) on my case halves today.  Richard is taking the week off to enjoy some riding in the Smokys.  Build should be well underway week after next, since all the engine parts are here.  Only part on which we're still waiting is my D&D Fatcat.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2008, 09:26:04 AM »

I am too.  Rod and Richard know their stuff.  Looked at my new SE cam support plate yesterday after Richard finished installing the Wood's 408G cams with S&S gears.  He also rebuilt my clutch (new plates, spring, and starter gear) NICE!  Richard told me that Rod is going to do all the machine work (spigot boring, Timken) on my case halves today.  Richard is taking the week off to enjoy some riding in the Smokys.  Build should be well underway week after next, since all the engine parts are here.  Only part on which we're still waiting is my D&D Fatcat.

Henry

You going to get those header pipes coated?
With that motor you will be generating some heat!

:nixweiss:                    :nixweiss:                    :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

REGGAB

« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2008, 09:35:27 AM »

Henry

You going to get those header pipes coated?
With that motor you will be generating some heat!

:nixweiss:                    :nixweiss:                    :nixweiss:

This is why I love this place.  I'd have never thought of that, nor known to do it.  I'll run it by Rod and see what his plans are.  What does coating the header pipes do?  What is "coating the header pipes?"

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2008, 10:07:06 AM »

Ceramic coating of the interior of the pipe?  Where/how many $$ ?   :nixweiss: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

REGGAB

« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2008, 10:10:43 AM »

Ceramic coating of the interior of the pipe?  Where/how many $$ ?   :nixweiss: har!  spyder

Interior.......as in reducing the ID, therefore restricting flow?  I just had a train wreck in my mind.   ;D

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2008, 10:16:49 AM »

This is why I love this place.  I'd have never thought of that, nor known to do it.  I'll run it by Rod and see what his plans are.  What does coating the header pipes do?  What is "coating the header pipes?"

Coating the pipes with a heat resistant material does a couple things.  First it keeps more of the heat inside the pipe instead of radiating out on you.  Second, keeping that heat in the pipes helps keep exhaust velocities up which in turn helps the scavenging effect.  Oh, and thirdly it keeps the pipes looking better longer.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2008, 10:19:40 AM »

Coating the pipes with a heat resistant material does a couple things.  First it keeps more of the heat inside the pipe instead of radiating out on you.  Second, keeping that heat in the pipes helps keep exhaust velocities up which in turn helps the scavenging effect.  Oh, and thirdly it keeps the pipes looking better longer.

Jerry

As usual Jerry is right on all counts.

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

REGGAB

« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2008, 10:31:35 AM »

Jerry

As usual Jerry is right on all counts.

:2vrolijk_21:

OK.  That all makes good sense, and sounds like a definite path forward toward my goal of reliability and longevity.  Is the process "done" to the inside or the outside of the pipes........and if it is done to the inside, doesn't the resultant decrease in ID affect flow by restricting it since the area through which gases must travel is now smaller?  I'm just asking since this discussion has brought out the analyst in me.  Thanks.

One more thing.........Rod may already have plans to do this......I just have to ask him..........but if he doesn't, who does this type of work, where are they located, and what is the cost to have the work performed on a D&D Fatcat?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2008, 12:05:21 PM »

Scott,
Went to Hanceville today.  Thump is getting an HPI 55mm throttle body with a 58mm plenum.

I use a 62mm HPI w/62mm plenum - and I love it....   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2008, 12:14:38 PM »

OK.  That all makes good sense, and sounds like a definite path forward toward my goal of reliability and longevity.  Is the process "done" to the inside or the outside of the pipes........and if it is done to the inside, doesn't the resultant decrease in ID affect flow by restricting it since the area through which gases must travel is now smaller?  I'm just asking since this discussion has brought out the analyst in me.  Thanks.

One more thing.........Rod may already have plans to do this......I just have to ask him..........but if he doesn't, who does this type of work, where are they located, and what is the cost to have the work performed on a D&D Fatcat?

The coating can be done inside - or inside and outside...

The thickness of the coating is insignificant to the flow.

You can buy the header pipe ceramic coated on the inside straight from D&D.

Or

You can have the coating applied to the inside - or both the inside and outside by

Jet-Hot - http://www.jet-hot.com/

or

HPC - http://www.hpcoatings.com/

or

many others...do a google search.....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.