Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Author Topic: Sluggish  (Read 39313 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Sluggish
« Reply #180 on: November 30, 2008, 06:15:13 PM »

But that is the fun part - the machining and assembly...

The ugly part involves all those wires and things.... 

Even the spaghetti isn't all that scary with a BFH and a gas torch close by for final fitment.  I'm with you on the machining though.  Love the work.  And would always rather do it myself.  Might have to leave watching it be done by someone else just because it was being done by someone else.  But there's nothing better than the smell of machine oil in the morning.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #181 on: November 30, 2008, 06:27:32 PM »

Even the spaghetti isn't all that scary with a BFH and a gas torch close by for final fitment.  I'm with you on the machining though.  Love the work.  And would always rather do it myself.  Might have to leave watching it be done by someone else just because it was being done by someone else.  But there's nothing better than the smell of machine oil in the morning.

Heresy.....nothing can replace napalm....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #182 on: November 30, 2008, 06:31:53 PM »

Heresy.....nothing can replace napalm....

You've smelled both.  Machine oil doesn't come with it that often oddly sweet BBQ'd meat smell that sometimes accompanies the other.  Sometimes it's the entree and the condiments that matter.  And, also, with machine oil you just never have to worry about targeting and/or running like hell. 

Both have their place though.  And both can make you smile :drink: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #183 on: November 30, 2008, 06:32:23 PM »

No where is that damn movie anyway.... :huepfenlol2: ?

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #184 on: November 30, 2008, 06:47:37 PM »

You've smelled both.  Machine oil doesn't come with it that often oddly sweet BBQ'd meat smell that sometimes accompanies the other.  Sometimes it's the entree and the condiments that matter.  And, also, with machine oil you just never have to worry about targeting and/or running like hell. 

Both have their place though.  And both can make you smile :drink: .

Truer words ...... my friend ...  :2vrolijk_21:

REGGAB

« Reply #185 on: November 30, 2008, 08:34:17 PM »

Strong on the bottom but flattens out too quickly. Got over 12000 mile on this build with no runs, no leaks no errors  :)

Good luck with yours

JW

I'm hearing good reliability reports from folks who've had their 117 work done.  Also hearing they're very strong, but this is the first I've heard of flattening out too quick.  We'll see how it goes.  Really looking forward to it.  Even after she is finished, I'll likely wait for day during which I can ride her home.  Certainly don't want her leaving there on a trailer.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #186 on: November 30, 2008, 08:45:10 PM »

I'm hearing good reliability reports from folks who've had their 117 work done.  Also hearing they're very strong, but this is the first I've heard of flattening out too quick.  We'll see how it goes.  Really looking forward to it.  Even after she is finished, I'll likely wait for day during which I can ride her home.  Certainly don't want her leaving there on a trailer.

Another way to look at it from my perspective: I have not had another cylinder liner slip!  You can look at my dyno sheet which is posted in the SERK dyno section. I am the only on with this package that has had a problem. I will look into the flattening out problem some this winter. 3 inches of snow as I type!

JW

REGGAB

« Reply #187 on: November 30, 2008, 09:00:52 PM »

Another way to look at it from my perspective: I have not had another cylinder liner slip!  You can look at my dyno sheet which is posted in the SERK dyno section. I am the only on with this package that has had a problem. I will look into the flattening out problem some this winter. 3 inches of snow as I type!

JW

Just went over there and looked at your graph.  You certainly don't need me to tell you something is amiss.  Wish I could help you figure out what is wrong, but it beats the heck outta me.  Best wishes as you chase it down though.

REGGAB

« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2008, 07:49:51 PM »

Spoke with Rod today about some thoughts I've had for the purple bike.  He gave me an update on the green bike.  Spigot boring and Timken are complete.  I never was too comfortable with machining the apex bolt.  We're gonna forego that and use the supplied Axtell apex bolt.  I'll need to find a way to cover the hex head and the nut.  There's myriad methods, so I'm certain I'll find something.  Still waiting on headers to come back from HPC.  Getting closer.

Purple bike is at 13K miles.  Once she turns over 18K, she'll get a set of Wood's 6 cams, S&S gears, SE cam plate and oil pump, stock lifters, SE pushrods, heat coated Fatcat, and carb work as necessary.  Other than a Baker OD6, that's about all she'll get.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #189 on: December 03, 2008, 07:55:58 PM »

Purple bike is at 13K miles.  Once she turns over 18K, she'll get a set of Wood's 6 cams, S&S gears, SE cam plate and oil pump, stock lifters, SE pushrods, heat coated Fatcat, and carb work as necessary.  Other than a Baker OD6, that's about all she'll get.

Henry

Why 18K?
You sure you want to spend the money for the 6 speed?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

REGGAB

« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2008, 08:20:47 PM »

Henry

Why 18K?
You sure you want to spend the money for the 6 speed?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Thanks for the questions, Chip.

18K isn't a magic number for me.  It is just the number Rod believes, based on his experience, is normal life expectancy for the cam chain shoes.  The blue bike failed at just over 21K........and it was ugly.  17K miles later I upgraded that bike to 95cid and the cam chain shoes were heavily worn.  Thump had 18351 on the clock when she became a 107 and her cam chain shoes were ate up.  Just following my builder's guidance.

On both bikes, I find myself constantly trying to shift into a non-existent 6th gear when on super slabs.  At this moment, it is a toss-up.  I'll know more once Thump comes home and gets ridden.  Along with a Baker OD6, her primary gearing is changing to 3.37, so that will be the tell-tale if the purple bike gets the same treatment.

BTW, is it true that 02 bikes came stock with 3.37 primary gearing, or are they 3.15?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #191 on: December 03, 2008, 08:27:04 PM »

18K isn't a magic number for me.  It is just the number Rod believes, based on his experience, is normal life expectancy for the cam chain shoes.  The blue bike failed at just over 21K........and it was ugly.  17K miles later I upgraded that bike to 95cid and the cam chain shoes were heavily worn.  Thump had 18351 on the clock when she became a 107 and her cam chain shoes were ate up.  Just following my builder's guidance.

On both bikes, I find myself constantly trying to shift into a non-existent 6th gear when on super slabs.  At this moment, it is a toss-up.  I'll know more once Thump comes home and gets ridden.  Along with a Baker OD6, her primary gearing is changing to 3.37, so that will be the tell-tale if the purple bike gets the same treatment.

BTW, is it true that 02 bikes came stock with 3.37 primary gearing, or are they 3.15?

Not sure on the gearing, but the bottom ends were still Timken bearing! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

REGGAB

« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2008, 08:39:17 PM »

Not sure on the gearing, but the bottom ends were still Timken bearing! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Yessir!  Which was a huge selling point for me when I decided to buy the purple bike.........and yet another reason I still miss the blue bike.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2008, 08:39:41 AM »

[/color]

01 touring bikes were the last to have 3.37.  Thanks to the EPA.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2008, 09:08:37 AM »

[/color]

01 touring bikes were the last to have 3.37.  Thanks to the EPA.

Thanks GC!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 25 queries.