Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Cooling Fans  (Read 3686 times)

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
Re: Cooling Fans
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 09:58:39 AM »

This is what I was able to learn. Still can’t say it’s rock solid concrete fact, but.

Love jugs applied for and received  a utility and a design patent on a 2 fan cooling system before Wards was around.  And I might add getting a patent on anything ain’t easy. I have 2 patents on my business products and it’s expensive.

I am a fan of Wards fans, had them on my 2015 SESG they worked great.

And yes Jason did invent the “compact” design. Problem was LJ already had the 2 style fan patented. So Wards was kinda in trouble from the start.

Wards “compact” design was ingenious, but it was still a 2 fan style which LJ held the patent for. So LJ decides to make their “mighty mite” of course based on Wards design. And then tells Wards to cease and desist, which Wards has to.

I don’t really know if their is a bad guy in this story imho.

I haven’t used LJ yet but ordering them for my S&S 124ci.

One last thing from what I have read LJ made their mighty mite a more serviceable product being able to replace if needed an individual fan or switch yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 08:15:15 PM »

One last thing from what I have read LJ made their mighty mite a more serviceable product being able to replace if needed an individual fan or switch yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a fan go out on my Mighty Mites. They sent me a fan at no charge. The actual time to remove and replace the fan was probably less than a minute. Other than that, just the time needed to remove and reattach the whole unit back to the bike. I've since bought their frame mount which reduces the vibration drastically. Even at idle they hardly move.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2019, 02:07:22 AM »

I added the Love Jugs Mighty Mite fans and painted them granite to match the motor. I don't care for the looks much so this helped them blend in better.

I ride 25,000-30,000 miles a year with a group of other friends all over the country. I have the biggest motor at the highest compression (11:1). EVERY bike except for mine will drop down to one cylinder on hot days at stoplights. My bike frequently dropped to one cylinder before these fans. I even had to ask my tuner if he disabled EITMS at some point because it never kicked on.

I don't have quantitative data as far as temperatures, but my experiences in the saddle tell me they work.

That is a beautiful bike but I'm sorry those fans are still ugly as hell.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 07:12:27 PM »

That is a beautiful bike but I'm sorry those fans are still ugly as hell.

Here's the thing.....I agree with you 100%. I am used to them now but I'm sure other people see them and go, "huh?!".

It was a style sacrifice that I feel will be worth it in the long run. The odometer proves it's a touring bike, not a show bike.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2019, 05:49:55 AM »

Made my own fans run at 47,000rpm (not a typo). They work great keeping the temperature down the one down side is the inner part of your right leg gets the grunt of the heat being blown out you have to lift your leg when stopped.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2019, 12:18:40 PM »

Here's the thing.....I agree with you 100%. I am used to them now but I'm sure other people see them and go, "huh?!".

It was a style sacrifice that I feel will be worth it in the long run. The odometer proves it's a touring bike, not a show bike.
I understand completely. Like I said it is a great looking bike and I'm sure along with the stereo system it turns a lot of heads. What are those 6.5's in the lowers? Nice job.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2019, 04:27:27 PM »

What are those 6.5's in the lowers? Nice job.

Just the stock 5.25".
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

Mountainman streetbob

• Just Ride, Daily if possible, Just Ride!!!!!!!
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 SE7 CVO Electra Glide Ultra
    • GA

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2019, 05:43:05 PM »

Made my own fans run at 47,000rpm (not a typo). They work great keeping the temperature down the one down side is the inner part of your right leg gets the grunt of the heat being
blown out you have to lift your leg when stopped.

VERY INTERESTED WHERE TO FIND FANS LIKE THESE

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!!

LOVE HOW IT LOOKS!

LOVED MY WARDS

WILL NOT REWARD LOVE JUGS FOR BEING JERKS!

REALLY WOULD KNOW WHERE TO SOURCE FANS LIKE THIS!

LOVE IT

BRICE
2012 CVO SE7 ElectraGlideUltra Cams??? PowerCommanderV Crocodile Seats, rhinehardts,xm, Ipod, Nav-Zumo...
Windscreen, driver backrest handlebars, fulsac COMING SOON

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2019, 09:35:59 AM »

The 2013 CVO RK came with an Ipod stereo system FYI. I learned the benefits and the downside to the fans first trip to sturgis. They blow all the heat right up at you. I did notice a dramatic difference in both head and oil temperatures.

Mountainman streetbob

• Just Ride, Daily if possible, Just Ride!!!!!!!
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 SE7 CVO Electra Glide Ultra
    • GA

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2019, 09:50:02 AM »

The two products serve different purposes.  The Wards fans directed air at the hottest part of the engine, effectively reducing actual head temperatures.  The Harley fan is strictly for reducing rider discomfort by redirecting hot air from the rear cylinder away from the riders legs.  It doesn't reduce engine temperatures.

JMHO - Jerry

CHEERS MATE! THANKS FOR THE INFO!!!
2012 CVO SE7 ElectraGlideUltra Cams??? PowerCommanderV Crocodile Seats, rhinehardts,xm, Ipod, Nav-Zumo...
Windscreen, driver backrest handlebars, fulsac COMING SOON
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.