Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Recommendation for HOT HOT HOT FLTRUSE  (Read 5720 times)

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
Recommendation for HOT HOT HOT FLTRUSE
« on: October 11, 2010, 09:50:22 AM »

Got a PM from a new member asking about the heat generated by the CAT on the right side of the MC on the FLTRUSE and what could be done. Here is my response. Please post any suggestions you might have too.

Yes, I experienced the HOT right hand side issue under my tigh. Also when really hot and on longer trips the seat absorbs the heat too and make for a HOT butt.

Cures - not many and a bit expensive.

I thought that removing the header pipe (with the Catalytic converter) and replacing it with a Fullsac or V&H Header would do the trick. I had a Fullsac X-Pipe B  Header installed and some of Fullsac's power cores (baffles). Then the bike was tuned. It reduced the heat some but no where near what I wanted in reduction.

We ended up putting some insulation/heat tape on the back end of the X-Pipe from the place where the Cat Converter used to live on back to the connection for the slip-on mufflers.

The tape did a good job. It's still warm but much better.

If you don't want to go with a new header, I recommend the following.
1. Get some heat tape put on the header pipe.
2. Have your bike Dyno'd (need to buy a race tuner) to make it more efficient.
3. Run with the louvres on your lower leg protectors open. (there is a slide that can be opend in the lowers)

Hope this helps,
Simon

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Recommendation for HOT HOT HOT FLTRUSE
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 09:58:52 AM »

Simon, you are so right.  I removed the cats and put the Fullsac baffle in my '07 cuse in July before we headed to Nova Scotia.  Great product and great work but it was still way, way too hot on my lovely bsr.  She could not wait to get back home so I could put the D&D fatcats back on it even though they are louder and that is why I tried the modified stock exhaust.

I though getting rid of the cats would make a big difference but it did not.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:00:45 AM »

Simon, can you tell me more about the tape please?  Where can I buy it?  Pics would help also.  I am not familiar with this but it seems to help and would be worth a try.

Jerry

IBA member # 45520

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 12:04:08 PM »

Simon, can you tell me more about the tape please?  Where can I buy it?  Pics would help also.  I am not familiar with this but it seems to help and would be worth a try.

Jerry

Jerry, I had the dealer put the stuff on at the recommendation of one of the owners. I don't know what brand they used, probably HD, but I do know they had to take the heat shields off and I paid another 2.5 hr labor charge.

If you just search on google for "exhaust wrap/tape" it seems to come up with quite an array of available products. Maybe someone on the board has experience with a certain brand. You might want to ask under the "Intake/Exhaust" forum heading.

Simon

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 12:24:31 PM »

I wrapped my rear exhaust myself couldn't imagine paying someone to do this as even my wife could have done it and with the pipe on. The 2" wrap can be found in about any chain type auto parts store and you can buy the long skinny metal clamps usually on the hook next to the wrap. Oh I have the 2-1 Boarzilla pipe and this made a difference as the rear pipe bend was the only hot spot. I had one little contact spot right under the passenger board bracket and popped a small dent in it to clear with two ball peen hammers back to back. I had noticed the small contact spot after taking off the pipe as the wrap made the shield stick out a little.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 01:02:18 PM »

I wrapped my rear exhaust myself couldn't imagine paying someone to do this as even my wife could have done it and with the pipe on. The 2" wrap can be found in about any chain type auto parts store and you can buy the long skinny metal clamps usually on the hook next to the wrap. Oh I have the 2-1 Boarzilla pipe and this made a difference as the rear pipe bend was the only hot spot. I had one little contact spot right under the passenger board bracket and popped a small dent in it to clear with two ball peen hammers back to back. I had noticed the small contact spot after taking off the pipe as the wrap made the shield stick out a little.

I can imagine crawling around on the floor of my garage, hunting for the clamps, unscrewing them by hand, scratching the heat shields, twisting my chubby fingers around the pipes and tape and then having issues re-installing the heat shield.

Therefore, I paid someone else to do it. And if it doesn't take the heat away, I have someone to yell at besides myself.

Nuff said...........

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 01:13:52 PM »

Simon, I lived in New Mexico and the NM heat and that dame bike made me want to get off and rent a car to get some A/C. I removed the (cat) and, I replaced it with stock flh 96" headers and did the fullsac baffles

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »

I can imagine crawling around on the floor of my garage, hunting for the clamps, unscrewing them by hand, scratching the heat shields, twisting my chubby fingers around the pipes and tape and then having issues re-installing the heat shield.

Therefore, I paid someone else to do it. And if it doesn't take the heat away, I have someone to yell at besides myself.

Nuff said...........
No problem I understand just wanted to say it was very easy and I sat in a chair next to the bike on the kick stand and didn't have to get on the floor as I don't like laying on the floor anymore than I have to at my age. And the hose clamps stay in place and I have never done this before. I do like the part of hollering at someone else when things don't go right. :huepfenlol2: The end result for me is it is still a hot spot but much more bearable than without.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 02:00:04 PM »

Go fast...my bike runs alot cooler at 75 than 25..jussaynzall... :P
I'd let you ride my old flathead to feel some real heat, that old suckka get reeeel hot... ;)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »

Go fast...my bike runs alot cooler at 75 than 25..jussaynzall... :P
I'd let you ride my old flathead to feel some real heat, that old suckka get reeeel hot... ;)
Maybe a couple of Gospel fans would help you. :huepfenlol2:

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 02:06:49 PM »

Maybe a couple of Gospel fans would help you. :huepfenlol2:

Certainly going fast is fun and cooler. Although I did get the attention of the local deputy sheriff last Friday evening. Also, sitting in downtown traffic in the middle of July isn't an opportunity for the speed solution. Now that the weather is starting to cool a bit, there really isn't an issue anymore. But I know it will be mildly irratating this next summer, even with the heat tape.

Simon

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 02:16:09 PM »

Simon, we rode 500 miles last Saturday and the high was 92.  I found that the ruse was noticeably hotter on me than my 07 cuse even with the D&D fatcat dumping everything to the right side.  But my bsr reported that the ruse was cooler to her so all is well.  If she is happy I can live with it.   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:17:48 PM by ultrafxr »

IBA member # 45520

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 02:35:46 PM »

I do help try and keep me trousers from burning by keeping my right foot on the floorboard, mostly...I have the old style FC...the Boarzilla versus the newer style.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 02:36:47 PM »

The new(er)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 02:38:19 PM »

Oh, and I took the heat shield thingy off, I think it lets air blow in there better.  Before I would get these wafts of superhot air out fromunda...cajones en fuego , nfg... :P
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.