Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: case bolt oil leak  (Read 1363 times)

woodzy489

case bolt oil leak
« on: April 08, 2008, 12:18:35 PM »

hey people i have been lurking for some time now,love the site.i bought an 08 springer softail and after 400 miles i developed a leak at the top case bolt right at the base in between the jugs.i brought it to the dealer and they put some sealer on the bolt and retorqued to specs.everything was fine for 200 miles,but then developed the leak again.well i brought it back in figuring they would have to split the cases,two days later they call to say it is fixed.when i pick it up the work order says they put a banjo washer on and retorqued to specs.what a crock!has anyone else had this problem? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: case bolt oil leak
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 12:24:02 PM »

hey people i have been lurking for some time now,love the site.i bought an 08 springer softail and after 400 miles i developed a leak at the top case bolt right at the base in between the jugs.i brought it to the dealer and they put some sealer on the bolt and retorqued to specs.everything was fine for 200 miles,but then developed the leak again.well i brought it back in figuring they would have to split the cases,two days later they call to say it is fixed.when i pick it up the work order says they put a banjo washer on and retorqued to specs.what a crock!has anyone else had this problem? any help would be greatly appreciated.

It was leaking only where the bolt head meets the case?  So a machining slightly rougher than it should be or something?

If that's all it is I'd much rather use a crush washer like that to account for the surface variation then have lord knows who in a dealership split the cases.  If expecting a replacement case or something that'd mean waiting on Harley to get a VIN stamped left half back to the dealer too.  If it's not a bad surface variation a crush washer sounds like a much better solution to me.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 12:24:14 PM »

Welcome to the site from Illinois!   :2vrolijk_21:  Glad you joined!   :2vrolijk_21:

Too bad your first post was of a problem.  I've not experienced that failure, but I am sure someone else has that can help you out...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

evilmikehoo

• Responsible Irresponsibility
  • Junior CVO Member
  • A Harley, a hot tub & a good woman to share them

• CVO1: FXSTSSE - Canyon Copper
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 02:39:49 PM »

I noticed that same exact leak within the first 500 miles on my bike. Dealer cleaned & sealed it 6,000 miles ago and I've never had the problem since. As a matter of fact, it's the only problem I've had so far! (Knock on wood!!!!)

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.