Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine Mods for FXSTSSE3  (Read 2503 times)

Vic

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
Engine Mods for FXSTSSE3
« on: April 26, 2009, 08:33:23 AM »

Hi All,

I've been so busy reading that I haven't really posted much - so here goes ......... got a few questions for those out there in the know.

I've got a black 2009 FXSTSSE3 with the SE Heavy Breather (not standard on Australian models), SE Pro Super Tuner and V&H Big Radius 2-1 pipes and yes I already have the bug to get more out of it. Wanted to stick to Harley/SE parts not to void the warranty (checked with dealer, all OK). Didn't want to go over the top and was thinking of putting in a different cam, SE hi comp pistons and better throttle body. I have seen a 2007 FSTSSE for sale with similar mods (50mm TB, 264 Cams and Hi comp pistons) getting 120hp dynoed. I'd be happy with 120hp .....................

If I'm on the wrong track spit it out - I'm open to suggestions. My questions are as follows:

Throttle Body
Does the 2009 FXSTSSE3 have a 50mm throttle body ?  Some threads state all 2009 CVO models do and others say it is only the touring models. If it is already a 50mm is it worth going to the SE 58mm ?

Hi Comp Pistons
Pretty straight forward this one, but do I need to get perfect fit pusrods or can I use what is already there?

CAM
What would be the best cam for my intended combination detailed above ? Most of the threads I've read on cams for the CVO 110 engine seem to point to either the SE211 or SE251 cam but they tend to be for the touring models which are carrying more weight. I ride all my bikes hard and I prefer to have good take off and mid range power over top end horsepower.

I'm very keen to learn from fellow FXSTSSE owners experiences and to to hear your opinions.

Thanks,
Vic

johna

• Full CVO Member
Re: Engine Mods for FXSTSSE3
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 09:58:25 PM »

.I am very happy with work done
2:1 supretrapp
PC 111
Breather
SE 260 cam
Result 99hp / 107tq
The bike ran very well, but as stated hear and buy the builder probably be better with 10:5:1 SE pistons
Pistons have been fitted and all i can say is WOW
Will not dyno and tune untill a 1000k's up to bed in

Throttle Body
Does the 2009 FXSTSSE3 have a 50mm throttle body ?  Some threads state all 2009 CVO models do and others say it is only the touring models. If it is already a 50mm is it worth going to the SE 58mm ?

Do not now size but but tec said waste of money its not needed the standard TB good for this build

Hi Comp Pistons
Pretty straight forward this one, but do I need to get perfect fit pusrods or can I use what is already there?

Use whats there add SE pistons

CAM
What would be the best cam for my intended combination detailed above ? Most of the threads I've read on cams for the CVO 110 engine seem to point to either the SE211 or SE251 cam but they tend to be for the touring models which are carrying more weight. I ride all my bikes hard and I prefer to have good take off and mid range power over top end horsepower.

Advice hear was to use SE251. Tec said why go backwards. 255's standard 264 to big and may not be good to ride in normal conditions
So installed SE260 and i personally think he was correct

I'm very keen to learn from fellow FXSTSSE owners experiences and to to hear your opinions.

In Australia a lot of other parts are hard to get (woods ect) I did every thing through dealer for same reason you state.
I could not be more pleased with the result, the springer absolutley flys in the 40k to 150k area

Cheers

havoc

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 12:03:33 PM »

Vic- I have an 08 and it came with a 46mm throttle body.  I don't know why the 09's would be different.  With the engine work I had done the builder wanted to open it up.  This also requires a new breather!

I went with a Woods 408 gear drive cam, adjustable push rods and Woods springs.  Instead of having new piston installed, the heads were deck to 10:5 to 1 roughly.  He also had custom valves built because of the seating job that he does. 

I also went with a thundermax auto tuner... which for me is the best I could do because I feel there are no good tuners in my area.  If I wanted to drive a 3-4 hours then yes, but I didn't want to do that.  I also went with Reinhart crossover exhaust. 

With those things done I got 112 hp and 121 tq.  Could I get more with a different computer and exhaust probably, but it has more than enough power for me.

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 08:16:28 PM »

I had the andrews 55 cams 10.5 to 1 pistons,zippers a/c,and a sert,105 hp 121 tq
this thing pulled very hard,was going to try heads and bigger TB next but was taken out on the freeway
totaled the bike out driver didnt see me.

J.P.

• Black is the new chrome

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3,
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 09:29:20 PM »

Redtwin, say it aint so! You alright? Im hangin round with a detonated legg only! Bike is fine, But doc says I wont be riding it till July!
Layne

Vic

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 09:07:47 AM »

In Australia a lot of other parts are hard to get (woods ect) I did every thing through dealer for same reason you state.
I could not be more pleased with the result, the springer absolutley flys in the 40k to 150k area

Cheers

Thanks Johna - Looks like I might be on the right track.

Have you had a chance to dyno the bike ?

Vic

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 09:10:41 AM »

Havoc & Redtwin thanks for your input - although I'm stuck with having to use the factory bits in order to maintain the warranty.

Redtwin,
Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope your OK ?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:12:15 AM by Vic »

johna

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 10:29:51 PM »

Have you had a chance to dyno the bike ?
[/quote]

not as yet probably in 3 weeks

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 11:00:42 AM »

Hi All,
I have a 07 FXSTSSE with Vance & Hines true radius, the Screaming Eagle big breather, and Race Tuner. Its Dino was 98 hp with 122 ft. torque. I too would like to get a little more. I am happy with the performance but I guess that it gets a hold of you to do more. Do you worry about going with the 10:5 pistons? Does this really shorten the life of the engine ? And it it worth the price to pay ? I read a lot on this Forum. Most is about the same. I know to do this the Heads needs ported, and a larger Throttle Body with Injectors along with a Cam replacement. I am just torn about the 10:5 Pistons. Is it worth the sacrifice of shortening the Engines life ? I already get great ft. torque from my mostly stock 110 now. Would changing Cams to SE 255, having the Heads ported, and installing a 50 mm Throttle Body with Injectors give me that much more ? Your feed back is most welcomed. Jeff
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 09:26:51 PM »

I have left my engine stock except for richening the idle mixture to keep it cooler. It runs just fine the way it is, and if I ever sell, it will get a very nice price simply because it is stock.

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 24 queries.