Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Break in period  (Read 2209 times)

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
Break in period
« on: September 05, 2009, 04:21:05 PM »

How did you break your bike in?

I was wondering if I should dyno tune and put pipes on right away or wait until the 500 mile service?

I was thinking I heard that an engine that is running a little rich is the best way to set the rings.

Other guys have told me that I really don't have to take it easy for the first 500 miles although I think i'm going to be relatively easy until the 500 miles are done.

First new Harley and I want to make sure it lasts and I get the most power from my bike by breaking it in correctly.

chriscraig73

Re: Break in period
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 05:23:43 PM »

I followed the break-in proceedure set by Harley for the first 500 miles. Only the first 50 is annoying, after that it's pretty easy to put on the other 450. My dealer refused to put the aftermarket exhaust and tuner on until 500 miles. Claimed they wouldn't honor the warranty if I put the exhaust on before the first 500. Also said they wouldn't put in on a Dyno before the first 500.

I've broken in several motorcycles in my life. Anyone that tells you a break-in period isn't necessary probably isn't a very reliable source.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 04:28:55 AM »

I followed the break-in proceedure set by Harley for the first 500 miles. Only the first 50 is annoying, after that it's pretty easy to put on the other 450. My dealer refused to put the aftermarket exhaust and tuner on until 500 miles. Claimed they wouldn't honor the warranty if I put the exhaust on before the first 500. Also said they wouldn't put in on a Dyno before the first 500.

I've broken in several motorcycles in my life. Anyone that tells you a break-in period isn't necessary probably isn't a very reliable source.

DITTO what he wrote!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 11:59:17 AM »

There is a lot more to "break-in" than just the engine, btw.  Modern machining and tolerances have eliminated the long drawn out procedures of the old days, but you still need to give all those parts a little time to get aquainted and start working together.  Transmission parts, primary drive parts, drive belts and sprockets, tires, etc., not just the engine.

Initially, the big thing is to avoid high temps.  In other words, I wouldn't do the first hundred miles in a parade.  Follow the recommendations in the manual, avoid burnouts and WOT, and stay off a dyno unless they plan to do a controlled break-in first (break-in on a dyno can be very effective if done correctly).

BTW, taking it easy isn't the same as using common sense.  Folks who tell you not to baby it and just "ride it like you stole it" only have half of it right.  You don't have to baby it, just ride normally, don't let it overheat, vary your speeds, and use this time to also let you get used to your new ride. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 06:25:21 PM »

I just beat the crap outta mine from day one.... It started in the 60's when I built drag car motors and been breakin in every motor since that way... Flog it, I say! I have seen motors babied from the start that actually wore off the cylinder cross hatch before the rings really seated. Those will burn oil forever... JMO
 :2vrolijk_21:
jb

gilbert

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 09:26:38 PM »

Like gtreetslide Ibeat the crap out of mine for 1500 miles then I installed 585 roller gear cams and 10.50 comp pistons and I continue to beet the crap out of mine. Its a 2007. the harder you run them the better quite puusying them around.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 08:53:35 AM »

Best article I've ever seen on break-in:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Can't speak for the MoCo ... but I've seen several episodes of "Twist the Throttle" (great show btw) and Honda, BMW, Ducati, Yamaha, Kawi ... well - you get the idea - all run their production bikes on a dyno through to redline in several gears as a final part of the production line, and as a final test.

Maybe this is why the "other" brands seem to have fewer engine issues in the field?
Anybody know if the MoCo runs the bikes as a final part of producton?

Read the article ... the results speak for themselves. I've done every motor I've ever owned per the article procedure ... never had an issue from any of them ... ever.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.