Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 2008 FXSTSSE2 OIL BREATHER LEAKING -----DEALER FIX?????  (Read 7039 times)

SUPERCHARGED

2008 FXSTSSE2 OIL BREATHER LEAKING -----DEALER FIX?????
« on: October 07, 2009, 08:33:52 PM »

AT THE 500 MILE SERVICE ---- i had service look into oil blowing out of breather port-- rear cylinder, the tech said and quote "not a problem as much as a bad design" I'll try and attach the sheet. has any one else had this problem? it was not over filled with oil either. is this a bad design??? its the big sucker cone type. they also said that you actually lose h.p. with this filter. it this true are are they just full of it. the tech said he put a new o ring in and sealed rear plug?????? I'm not sure if i believe them or not. need help!!!!!! or maybe the same stuff they take!!!!!!

draperfish

Re: 2008 FXSTSSE2 OIL BREATHER LEAKING -----DEALER FIX?????
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:27:01 PM »

I've got a SE heavy breather on my 09 Fat Bob and it doesn't leak.  They sure sell a lot if them for a "bad design".  I don't know why it would cause a loss of horsepower.  Sounds like a disgruntled tech to me.

SUPERCHARGED

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:39:43 PM »

they say it draws too much air

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 10:03:18 PM »

they say it draws too much air

And they are sucking wind.

Is the air cleaner you have from H-D, called the Heavy Breather?  If it is, it will flow more air than a stock air cleaner or even the old Screamin' Eagle air cleaner.  As long as the the fuel is increased to match the air flow, it won't reduce power it should increase power.  As for the oil leak, it sounds like the leak was at the breather bolt that screws into the head.  If it's installed properly that shouldn't be an issue.  Who installed the air cleaner, this same dealership?

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SUPERCHARGED

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:31:26 PM »

it was already installed from the factory and yes it is the one in the picture. it wasn't leaking at the connection to the head but at outer most point that has a round cap on it, actually just behind it.

SUPERCHARGED

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 10:52:15 PM »

they even went to the point of trying to sell me a stock type (oval) one because this one draws too much air and overall performance with this one is down graded. thinks its time to find a better dealer to do the service

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 11:56:53 AM »

it was already installed from the factory and yes it is the one in the picture. it wasn't leaking at the connection to the head but at outer most point that has a round cap on it, actually just behind it.

mine sometimes leaks from there after it was removed and refitted during the enhancement prog

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 02:06:12 PM »

they even went to the point of trying to sell me a stock type (oval) one because this one draws too much air and overall performance with this one is down graded. thinks its time to find a better dealer to do the service

Sorry, I forgot that the Springer came with the Heavy Breather.  As for your last statement, I believe you are right on the money.  If those folks really think higher air flow equals downgraded performance, you probably won't want to listen to any of their other advice either. 

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Orange Crush

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 02:36:38 PM »

I have the 08 CVO Springer as well and also have the same leak but it is coming out of both. I have mentioned it several time and after the did the recall they said it would stop. That was 5 thousand miles ago and both are still leaking. I have had nothing but troubles with the dealership here from the day I bought the bike. Starting with I had them install a two in one Pro pipe and race tuner then dyno the bike. It seems like I have less power now and the bike keeps back firing thru the breather and has killed the engine several times. I asked for my disc and addapter cords when they where done and they said "they don't give them to the customer any more". One of my friends purchased a bike thru them and also had his dyno also and they gave him his disk. I have yet to get my disk as of yet after several times of asking. Needless to say at my 10 thousand mile checkup I will be going to a diffrent dealer and have them re dyno it.  Oh by the way I am in central Florida and the is where my bike was purchased. Where are you from SUPERCHARGED?

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 03:17:28 PM »

I have the Heavy Breather Intake on my 08 SEUC and if the o-ring somehow gets cut or damaged on the caps for the bolts it will show residual oil. I still get residual oil, not allot, but some if I have my oil level up. It is not a big deal and it's part of the bike and it's quirks.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Sinker

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 09:28:05 PM »

Been getting ready to take my 2009 Springer CVO in for this again for the 2nd time.  Doesn't sound like I am the only one.

Durbydog

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 06:35:01 PM »

Took my 08 Springer to my Local shop to see about a rust problem on all the body work on her and the service manger checked those plugs too and told me there is a free fix from Harley for this issue and the paint even thou I bought my Springer from a private sale. It needs a 2 o-ring plug instead of the 1 o-ring plug it came with. I love my Springer and the level of service I'm getting from Harley.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:27:02 AM by Durbydog »

Orange Crush

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 01:02:19 PM »

Yes it is the air breather that comes on the 110 engines and it has been on since day one and dyno’ed with it on. Yes I believe that it is/was installed incorrectly and I am just getting tired of the Bulls@*t answers that I am getting for this dealer ship. On top of it leaking oil I have had to add two quarts of oil to the bike in the last five thousand miles which the dealership told me it because it's a big engine. As I said I will be taking the bike to a different dealership.

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 05:03:46 PM »

Hey Orange Crush,
Where are you in Central Fla?
I have just had my ride in for the second set of valve guide seals in 18k miles. Also on third set of spark plugs.
I would suggest you pull your plugs and see if there is evidence of burned oil on the electrodes. That is how I finally convinced the service manager that my quart of oil every thousand miles was beyond normal. In defense of the dealership, the quart per thousand miles is MoCo propaganda that the dealers are supposed to spout. Called MoCo customer service and got a nice
$250 in-store credit for my troubles. Now to work on tire cupping issue in another thread.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 08:51:41 PM »

So I am at the point of trying to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Sorry took so long to reply.

You should delete your post for your own protection.

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 01:45:06 AM »

Mine has been on my bike for almost two years without any problems........Love it so much that I installed one on my Roadking...........
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

hogdownunder

• AUSSIE SPRINGER
  • Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 CVO SPRINGER

• CVO1: 2008 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER
    • CVO2: 2009 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER- SOLD
    • CVO3: 2007 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 04:29:04 AM »

Hi Guys,

I had the same problem on my 2008 CVO Springer.  The reason this model leaks is because when they first introduced the Heavey Breather Air Cleaner on this model in 2008, the plugs only had one O-RING on them. They changed the plug design on the 2009 SPRINGER and it now has two O-RINGS on each plug. Problem has gone away. Therefore to fix the problem, you need to obtain the later model plugs which came out from 2009 later.

TLC

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 07:17:16 PM »

Mine leaked on the 09 at 500 miles but quit after the 1000 miles service,Maybe to much oil from the factory?

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 06:06:54 PM »

Hi Guys,

I had the same problem on my 2008 CVO Springer.  The reason this model leaks is because when they first introduced the Heavey Breather Air Cleaner on this model in 2008, the plugs only had one O-RING on them. They changed the plug design on the 2009 SPRINGER and it now has two O-RINGS on each plug. Problem has gone away. Therefore to fix the problem, you need to obtain the later model plugs which came out from 2009 later.

The last post argues against this theory.

Orange Crush

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 06:35:51 PM »

I asked the service manager about the double o-ring plugs and he said he has never heard of them. So much smoke I can smoke on my own now >:(

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 07:20:38 PM »

I asked the service manager about the double o-ring plugs and he said he has never heard of them. So much smoke I can smoke on my own now >:(

Is he the same guy who said your bike burns two quarts of oil every 5 thousand miles because you have a big motor?   :nixweiss:   :huepfenlol2:   :oops:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Orange Crush

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 07:32:59 PM »

Yes sir. But it is burning a half quart between 500 &600 miles. He said that is allowable according to Harley, one quart every thousands miles. I told him at that rate all I need to do is change my filter every 5000 miles. Again I can smoke on my own.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 09:55:57 PM »

You might want to read the recent posts in the General section about a guy who was losing a whole bunch of oil. They just found that an oil return line was blocked with some sort of assembly sealer causing the oil to blow out the breather. Once they cleared the return, no more oil loss.

hogdownunder

• AUSSIE SPRINGER
  • Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 CVO SPRINGER

• CVO1: 2008 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER
    • CVO2: 2009 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER- SOLD
    • CVO3: 2007 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 03:43:51 AM »

I suggest you have a talk with a mechanic rather than the dealer. The mechanic will know that the later model Heavy Duty Air Cleaner has a different plug design on it, and I can assure you it has 2 O-Rings on each plug instead of 1 O-Ring.

I own both 2008 and 2009 Screamin Eagle Springers and they have different plugs on the Air Cleaners. I am not sure if you can purchase the plugs separately, or if you need to purchase the whole Air Cleaner. By luck, I came across a 2009 model Heavy Breather Air Cleaner and took the plugs from it.
My 2008 does not leak any more!

Hope this helps.

Orange Crush

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 02:04:33 PM »

SPRINGER DOWNUNDER it was the service manager that I was asking about the double o-rings on the plugs that came out on the 09's. He said he had never heard of them.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 04:44:25 PM »

Have your "ace" service manager download the instructions for the Heavy Breather from the Harley site and look at the parts list.  Or you could just print out the attachment and hand it to him.  Look at item #5, and the quantity.  I would guess that a quantity of 4 for the o-rings would equate to 2 per fitting.

Jerry
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 04:49:21 PM by grc »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 08:03:34 PM »

Part and Accessory Bulletin 944

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Orange Crush

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 10:45:21 AM »

Thanks all I will be going to my dealer tonight with this information and asking him if there is anything else he would like to tell me now about the other problems I have been having with my bike or if he want to continue blowing smoke up my A$$.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 24 queries.