Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Oil spray on right side of oil tank  (Read 5651 times)

Brian22601

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 CVO Softail Springer Ann Edition 196/1050
Oil spray on right side of oil tank
« on: May 03, 2011, 04:39:16 PM »

I was looking over the the springer (FXSTSEE2) and notice after 100 mild miles I have an oil spray showing up on the right side of the oil tank, nothing on the left side.

I was getting close to the 30 day warranty and wanted to ensure all was well.  I did buy the extended plan for 2 years, but why bring up an issue to the stealer after 30 days and get hit with a deductable.  I have only put 300 miles on it in 3 weeks, its been raining.  I washed it 100 miles ago so I know the oil spray turned up after the last ride for sure.

Oil cap is down tight and the oil spray does not appear to be coming from an oil line.  As you can see in the picture its a light spray and not an oil slick -- but I figure for $19k ALL the oil should be staying in the engine case.

Anyone have this issue before?
2008 CVO Softail Springer Ann Edition 196/1050

Brian22601

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Oil spray on right side of oil tank
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 04:40:16 PM »

second picture of the same side.....

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3. Deweys Pro Street Heads, Fueling 574 Reaper cam, Smith Bros Adj Push Rods, Woods directional Night Prowler Lifters, Cometic 0.03" Head gasket, D & D Low Cat, SEST, SE Clutch Spring & AIM VPC92T Clutch kit.
    • CVO2: '76 FXE LIberty
    • CVO3: '68 GTO
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »

Have you checked for signs of oil near or around the A/C?

Brian22601

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 05:08:07 PM »

Thanks for the reply!

The "A/C" would be what exactly?

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 05:10:51 PM »

Leaks like this can easily happen if your oil level is too high.  Where was the engine oil level on the stick? Check around where the A/C mounts to the cylinders.
Jesus is Lord

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 05:11:31 PM »

Have you checked for signs of oil near or around the A/C?

A/C  AIR CLEANER, aka:- air filter

your bike`s oil tank may have been over filled, leading to oil seepage from the air filter

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »

air cleaner/filter
Jesus is Lord

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3. Deweys Pro Street Heads, Fueling 574 Reaper cam, Smith Bros Adj Push Rods, Woods directional Night Prowler Lifters, Cometic 0.03" Head gasket, D & D Low Cat, SEST, SE Clutch Spring & AIM VPC92T Clutch kit.
    • CVO2: '76 FXE LIberty
    • CVO3: '68 GTO
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 05:12:17 PM »

Your air cleaner, check this thread
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=41947.msg641188#msg641188

Good Luck, let us know the outcome, have just bought another springer - same as yours acually.
Dave

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 05:17:42 PM »

Brian,
If you are positive the filler cap is on tightly and you did not accidently drip a few drops when checking your oil, you need to look further forward.
Check your head gaskets, rocker box gaskets and especially around the base of the air cleaner assembly where it bolts to the throttle body.
These motors are prone to suck oil from the crankcase up through the pcv. It makes no sense with a dry sump system and a remote tank, but they do it.
Also the dealerships are notorious for overfilling these 110B motors. They do not hold as much as the 110 in the Baggers!
Also I guess you know that 6 drops of oil on smooth surface in the wind will spread like a flood!
Hope this helps,
Shortdog

Brian22601

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 05:29:35 PM »

So I guessed "A/C" meant air cleaner, and before posting I checked the oil level -- on the jiffy stand like the instructions say on the dip stick and the oil level was good, no over filled.

Then I also looked forward, as you can see in the picture all was VERY clean, but this last check when I slid my fingers up behind the base of the A/C I found the source of the oil  :orange:

Kind of interesting that nothing between the bottom of the A/C mount and the oil tank has oil on it -- must be the way the air moves around the surfaces of the engine and the parts between.

So, being that the oil level is correct, what else could cause oil to spray out beneath the A/C mount?

Brian22601

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 05:42:49 PM »

UPDATE:

You guys are GOOD!, and you were correct, the oil level is higher than it should be.  The bike is cold and the oil is all the way up to the "when HOT" marking on the dip stick.  First time I looked I did not read the details on the dip stick.

So I rolled it over on its side in the driveway and let a little oil run out -- its all good now!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 06:04:33 PM »

UPDATE:

You guys are GOOD!, and you were correct, the oil level is higher than it should be.  The bike is cold and the oil is all the way up to the "when HOT" marking on the dip stick.  First time I looked I did not read the details on the dip stick.

So I rolled it over on its side in the driveway and let a little oil run out -- its all good now!

It's probably better, but not necessarily all good.  With the oil level where it belongs, you will get less oil in the breather system.  But even with less oil, if you have a leak then you will still eventually find oil on the back plate and the side of the bike.  That aircleaner should not leak oil where you are finding it, period.  Have the dealer reseal it (gaskets and o-rings).

Uhh, I assume you were kidding about rolling it over to let the excess run out, right?  If you weren't, check the manual for the drain location and method, or get a turkey baster.  I wouldn't suggest borrowing the wife's, better to buy your own for the garage.  I learned that the hard way many years ago.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Brian22601

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 06:19:32 PM »

Thanks GRC,

I thought of the drain plug at first, but I wanted a more exact way of bringing the oil level back down to normal.

I was kidding about rolling Anna over in the driveway.  Turkey baster sounds like the way to go.  I figure I will get the oil back down to the correct level, clean up the A/C real good and watch it for the next few hundred miles.

Read the thread "2008 FXSTSSE2 OIL BREATHER LEAKING -----DEALER FIX?????" and it seems that my current oil issue is more garden variety than the O rings on the breather plug -- but also good to know.

I named her Anna -- lets hope I don't have to change her name to Valdez....

Brian22601

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 09:59:16 AM »

Everyone's replies were very helpful, THANK YOU!

In the process of researching the oil spray issue one of the threads you pointed me to had a link to Harley's "Service Check Up".  I put my VIN in and found that the "CVO 110 Gaskets" is reported by Harley to have never been done on my FXSTSSE2.

I am thinking now that I should just take the bike in and have the dealer handle the over filled oil and bring the "Gasket" repair issue to their attention.

You think they will complete the "Gasket" work after all this time has passed???

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 10:05:48 AM »

Everyone's replies were very helpful, THANK YOU!

In the process of researching the oil spray issue one of the threads you pointed me to had a link to Harley's "Service Check Up".  I put my VIN in and found that the "CVO 110 Gaskets" is reported by Harley to have never been done on my FXSTSSE2.

I am thinking now that I should just take the bike in and have the dealer handle the over filled oil and bring the "Gasket" repair issue to their attention.

You think they will complete the "Gasket" work after all this time has passed???

If you were the original owner, you should have gotten a letter from the mother ship in 2008.  I remember having a deadline to complete the "upgrade" but don't remember what it is.  if you are a subsequent owner, you may have a valid argument.  Good luck.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Brian22601

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 10:08:12 AM »

I am the second owner, bought it with 4600 miles on it less than 30 days ago.

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 10:08:19 AM »

Yes.  There was a formal recall notice issued for the gasket on the heavy breather installed on the Springer.  I have it at home so I'll have to post it later.  That is likely the cause of the oil leak as the same thing was happening on my '09.  

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 10:20:23 AM »

Here's a link to a .PDF copy of the letter.....

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25247.msg413221#msg413221
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 05:07:55 PM »

Hey guys,
The Heavy Breather Gasket issue and the original recall letter are two different things.
I had the recall work done and it consisted of head gaskets,ACR's,and center case bolt. Since we have 08's the gasket for the breather for the 09 is not applcable.
Two entirely different recalls. Two different letters, and if your engine was manufactured after March of 08 it was not even part of the original recall.
Mine was recalled and my wife's was not.
Just trying to keep Brian from getting overly confused with these issues.
Shortdog

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 11:54:54 PM »

Regardless of why you end up taking it in to the dealer for, make sure you and the service manager do a pre-maintenance paint inspection so if something happens you'll both be on the same page.
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 09:01:59 AM »

Hey guys,
The Heavy Breather Gasket issue and the original recall letter are two different things.
I had the recall work done and it consisted of head gaskets,ACR's,and center case bolt. Since we have 08's the gasket for the breather for the 09 is not applcable.
Two entirely different recalls. Two different letters, and if your engine was manufactured after March of 08 it was not even part of the original recall.
Mine was recalled and my wife's was not.
Just trying to keep Brian from getting overly confused with these issues.
Shortdog

Correct, two different issues entirely.  The "recall", which wasn't a recall but a service campaign, dealt with head gaskets and some other minor parts on '07 and early '08 CVO110 engines, and was supposedly limited to two years from the date of the bulletin.  However, even if past the two year limit, if the bike actually shows signs of a head gasket problem I would definitely contact the dealer and Harley to ask to have the upgrade performed free of charge.  There's a good chance they will still honor the program.

As for the aircleaner leak, if there is oil leaking between the throttle body and the aircleaner then yes it needs to be resealed.  It should not leak, even if you were to fill the entire thing with oil and let it sit for days or months at a time.  And it doesn't matter if it's an '08, an '09, whatever.  Get it fixed properly.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 09:44:24 AM »

As for the aircleaner leak, if there is oil leaking between the throttle body and the aircleaner then yes it needs to be resealed.  It should not leak, even if you were to fill the entire thing with oil and let it sit for days or months at a time.  And it doesn't matter if it's an '08, an '09, whatever.  Get it fixed properly.

Jerry

Correct.  This is what happened to my '09 and appears to be happening to your '08.  The notice I found for this references faulty o-rings that need to be replaced.

Sinker

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 01:01:01 PM »

I had the same problem, it was an air cleaner gasket.  A very common problem.

Sinker
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.