Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Rear fender  (Read 2927 times)

hogdownunder

• AUSSIE SPRINGER
  • Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 CVO SPRINGER

• CVO1: 2008 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER
    • CVO2: 2009 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER- SOLD
    • CVO3: 2007 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER
2009 Rear fender
« on: November 07, 2013, 05:41:16 PM »

Hi Guys,

Just out of curiosity, has anybody installed a Breakout rear fender on their 2009 Springer?

Best regards..

Aussie.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 05:53:03 PM by hogdownunder »

rockinred

Re: 2009 Rear fender
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 08:10:07 PM »

Man... I'm dying to.  The bobtail fender has always been my favorite fender look on HD softails.  On think that on the 2009 Springer and the new Breakouts that new fender is perfect sized for our big tire.  I always thought that the big fender looked good, but needed about 4 inches off the back.  I like the bend in the metal work on it, but in the middle of fender they can cut out 4 inches and it would look better imo.   

Now the fender for breakout settles that and gives a nice curve to show off wheels too.   The only bad issue is it would be really hard to match my paint with that fender from the breakout.  I'm waiting for some after market tins that mirror the breakout in all specs to pop on ebay or somewhere for cheap and do some experimenting on it.  Until then... this dude's too broke to go all out just to find out it's different.  I think the area to pay attention on fitment is around the battery.  It seems like our seats on 09 springer's are a bit deeper. 

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 12:04:30 PM »

I had this idea a while back, and even began putting together a list of the parts needed to do it as well.  Biggest things are the fender (duh) and struts.  The rest is just small stuff.

Like you said though RockinRed, hard part would be matching the paint/texture.  I've got a local painter that can match damn near anything and he does metal work too.  It's an idea I still entertain, and I plan to talk with him about it.  Also, Gunslingers Custom Paint (they paint for HD) is about 70 minutes north of me.  They've done some work for me before, and I would bet they could do it too - I plan to talk with them at the big swap meet in Denver this winter.

Then of course...it comes down to the money factor....is the cost worth it?  Not a lot of value in our stock fenders since they're only going to fit our bike if we try to sell them to recoup the cost.  Decisions decisions....

rockinred

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 01:58:46 PM »

I hear ya Fisheye!!!  I think HD has two main vendors for their CVO paint and the one north of you is for sure.  Not sure if they did the 2009 paint jobs, but even if they did they might have a contract to not do that so that HD will filter the limited production of paint and bikes. 

I am hoping to find this project sometime though.  I took off my rear turn signals and use Alloy Art on rear fender so I would need to go with the LED strip on the back of that fender to use as the break light. 

I am getting real close to the internal throttle job. There were and still are a few things that I need to learn about, but once completed I'll post up pics. 

hogdownunder

• AUSSIE SPRINGER
  • Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 CVO SPRINGER

• CVO1: 2008 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER
    • CVO2: 2009 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER- SOLD
    • CVO3: 2007 SCREAMIN EAGLE SPRINGER
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 06:34:17 PM »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know who the other paint vendor is that paints the CVO tanks fenders e.t.c for HD?

I have to agree with you,  the biggest concern is matching the unusual paint scheme on the 2009 Springer Model.  I guess somebody would know who produced the paint scheme..

I think you will find the fender would bolt straight onto our frame and the seat would fit as well because the different struts would allow that..

Aussie..

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 22 queries.