Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Wheels/Tires for an FLH  (Read 24322 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Wheels/Tires for an FLH
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2007, 11:38:37 PM »

For gravity bleeding, have you got one of those lid-thingies you can screw on to a bottle of brake fluid and then tip the whole thing upside down on the master cylinder reservoir?  Keeps it full and flowing.  It's even good for regular bleeding too as you never have to worry about pulling the master cylinder dry (unless you empty the whole damn bottle).

Mine weren't really too bad this time (though I always cuss that little task).  Had the bleeder bottles catching fluid out of the bottom bleeders for an hour or so.  Then close it all up and bled through the top bleeders to finish pushing out whatever air was left.  I use a one way valve and a little catch bottle for that last bit of bleeding so I can do it slow and watch the bubbles.

No, I don't have that thingie to put the bottle on top of the master...that would help.  I haven't seen one of those...where did you pick that up?

Anyway, got the things bled pretty well, though I'll have a better feel for it when the pads seat to the new rotors. 

I'll take some better pics tomorrow, as these were snapped when I pulled it out to wipe off all the fingerprints before I put the bags back on.  Besides, it shows the stealth chrome a bit better.

I'm very happy with the look of the whole job, and the bike feels a lot different...the slight increase in overall diameter of the front (about 1/2 inch) feels a bit different, but in a good way.  I think most of the difference I'm feeling is from the Metzler tires...they seem to fall over in the curves a bit easier than the stock tires, which I like a lot. 

Anyway, here's a couple of pics...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2007, 11:39:54 PM »

Front wheel, rotors and PM calipers...

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2007, 11:40:49 PM »

Rear, right side...

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2007, 11:42:17 PM »

Rear, left side...

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2007, 11:51:46 PM »

Immediately after getting things put back together, Suzanne and I rode to a local Mexican place to meet Tbone (Bob)& Ilene, Jerry (Ultrafxr) & J Carolyn, Tommy (07hd110), and John (Johnny).  It was great to see everyone again, and meet John for the first time.  After a couple of Margahooties and/or Modelos, we retired to the parking lot to talk about all the stuff we've all done to our bikes.

We're meeting up in the AM to ride a bit, then meeting Brian and JR about noon to go visit the Barber museum and ride a bit.  Weather forcast looks great the next few days, so there will be a lot more pics and ride reports by Sunday night!!

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2007, 12:14:15 AM »

It looks great Terry.  Should be very proud and pleased.  Very nice indeed.  :2vrolijk_21:

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #141 on: April 20, 2007, 01:24:18 AM »

Looks great Terry, glad you got her on the road.  Sounds like a few days of great riding. :2vrolijk_21:

HDguy

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2007, 02:27:48 AM »

That looks sweeeeeeeeet.I had to put my shades on because all that bling was blinding. ;)  Did you get the braided rear brake line from Hogpro or directly from PM?
2006 flhtcuse,V@H true duals with classic slash cut mufflers with end caps, slotted six spoke drive sprocket,fuelpak tuner,nav sys,stage 1 intake,chrome inner primary,SE six speed trans,chrome intake backplate.
2005 flstsci,aux lights,se mufflers,sta

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #143 on: April 20, 2007, 07:57:30 AM »

Nice job Terry  :2vrolijk_21:  You made a great choice with those wheels. The bike looks sweet. Have fun riding this weekend. Downside about all the new chrome for me at least is now I need more time to detail before going out for a jaunt. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2007, 08:03:28 AM »

That looks sweeeeeeeeet.I had to put my shades on because all that bling was blinding. ;)  Did you get the braided rear brake line from Hogpro or directly from PM?

HD...got the brake line through HogPro, but had looked it all up on the PM website.  The "kit" includes a braided line from the master to the area on the lower frame just below the oil filler spout where our rear stoplight switch is located, a machined aluminum block with three compression fittings...one for the stop light switch which you take off the old brake line, one going to the master, and one going to the real caliper...and of course the rear part of the braided line.  The juntion block for the lines is a tight fit...there's an indexing protrusion on the block which did not line up exactly right, so out came the Dremel tool, cut the thing off, and loctited the block onto the frame using the same screw from the old takeoff.  Worked out just fine.  I have the chrome filler spout, so don't know if that caused the slight fitment issue or not, but it's not a big deal to make it work.  Use a bit of teflon tape on the threads of the stoplight switch.  

The service manual has you taking off the right lower fairing/glove box to remove the old brake line, which is a rigid piece of steel tubing back to the switch junction...from that point to the rear caliper is the rubber hose part of the brake line..., and it would make things a tiny bit more accessable, but you can get a socket on the end of the master cylinder to get the banjo bolt out, cut a couple of wire ties holding it to the  lower frame, release a couple of plastic clamps on the rear swingarm, unplug two spade connectors to the switch, and the whole line pulls out with a bit of wiggling.

With the new assembly, you'd have to remove the block connection if you ever needed to remove the oil filler spout, but there's enough slack in the braided lines to get that part out of the way.  If you wanted the chrome spout (I had already put that piece on there a few months ago) it would be a good time to do that if installing new brake lines. Actually the best time to put the chrome spout on is if you have the exhaust headers off for any reason, then you can get to all the socket head allen bolts with a ratchet, otherwise the two bottom bolts are tedious to get in there.

The PM rear caliper is the same one as the front, but comes in a box with the rear swingarm bracket to hold it in place.  Bleed the caliper before bolting it onto the bracket...makes life easier.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #145 on: April 20, 2007, 08:13:09 AM »

Nice job Terry  :2vrolijk_21:  You made a great choice with those wheels. The bike looks sweet. Have fun riding this weekend. Downside about all the new chrome for me at least is now I need more time to detail before going out for a jaunt. Later,Q

Thanks Q...I'm happy with the whole thing and glad I made the choice I did as the wheels tend to flow with the fender/tank curved stripes.  That's the look I was going for anyway.  PM wheels are nicely done, as are the calipers/rotors.  Chrome is impeccable. 

Just a bit more bling to polish!!

TTS Mastertune

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #146 on: April 20, 2007, 08:36:10 AM »

No, I don't have that thingie to put the bottle on top of the master...that would help.  I haven't seen one of those...where did you pick that up?

Anyway, got the things bled pretty well, though I'll have a better feel for it when the pads seat to the new rotors. 

I'll take some better pics tomorrow, as these were snapped when I pulled it out to wipe off all the fingerprints before I put the bags back on.  Besides, it shows the stealth chrome a bit better.

I'm very happy with the look of the whole job, and the bike feels a lot different...the slight increase in overall diameter of the front (about 1/2 inch) feels a bit different, but in a good way.  I think most of the difference I'm feeling is from the Metzler tires...they seem to fall over in the curves a bit easier than the stock tires, which I like a lot. 

Anyway, here's a couple of pics...

I'm sure it does, now that your wallet is so much lighter. It's like getting 5 extra hp!! Good job looks great.  :2vrolijk_21:

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #147 on: April 20, 2007, 08:47:32 AM »

The finished product (we know their never finished LOL's) really looks nice   :2vrolijk_21: . It was well thought out and it was nice you could do it yourself even with the aggravation on the bleeding/install.   I don't know what the 18" Metzeler's need for air pressure but my 16" run 42F and 48R..  You will find you will really like the 880's and I know the Elite 3's from Dunlop are a fine tire as well.  Will never go back to the stock tires.   

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2007, 08:47:50 AM »

OMG, nice looking Ride  :2vrolijk_21:

Really gives the scoot a whole different look

You did well

jeffj

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2007, 09:33:28 AM »

Terry,
Only one word describes these additions..... BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! Job well done. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d 
:fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.