Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Wheels/Tires for an FLH  (Read 24332 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Wheels/Tires for an FLH
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2007, 06:49:18 PM »

PM, 4 piston, differential bore.

Lyndall, DP, or crap of some kind?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2007, 06:51:38 PM »

Terry you had me worried there for a minute. :o :nervous: Don's post was up for thirty minutes before you replied. :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Need to cut the man some slack D00d.  After all, he got blowed away today.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2007, 06:54:01 PM »

One thing about changing the calipers is that bleeding duals is a bitch. Its tough to get a good feel out of them after you uncork the hoses.

John, I don't remember ever having much trouble unless it was with DOT5 fluid.  If one ever seemed a bit cranky I'd just let it gravity bleed for a half hour or 45 minutes.  That pretty well always took care of it.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2007, 06:54:55 PM »

Need to cut the man some slack D00d.  After all, he got blowed away today.
You mean he needed longer then thirty minutes to let you know you were number 1 in his life. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2007, 07:57:40 PM »

John, I don't remember ever having much trouble unless it was with DOT5 fluid.  If one ever seemed a bit cranky I'd just let it gravity bleed for a half hour or 45 minutes.  That pretty well always took care of it.

Didn't have any problems when I had to change all the lines out for the handlebars...but, I let them gravity bleed for a few before starting the bleed.

Don, they are EBC pads...POS or not?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2007, 07:58:41 PM »

You mean he needed longer then thirty minutes to let you know you were number 1 in his life. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Work got in the way of my response... ::)

TTS Mastertune

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2007, 09:59:47 PM »

Terry-

What size rear tire did you decide to go with?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2007, 11:00:16 PM »

Didn't have any problems when I had to change all the lines out for the handlebars...but, I let them gravity bleed for a few before starting the bleed.

Don, they are EBC pads...POS or not?

Have seen their stuff for the SUV and other automotive market.  Didn't know they aftermarketed in to the bike world.  The Lyndalls and DPs are just so good, for relatively so little coin, it's hard not to use them.  Have taken PM 6 piston calipers that didn't feel any better than stock calipers w/Lynalls and then put Lyndalls on the PMs and it was a night and day difference.

EBC has a reputation for good stuff though.  Only thing I'd pay attention to is they also have a reputation for being hard on rotors in the automotive world.  So pay attention to those expensive new bike rotors and make sure you're not sanding them down and scuffing them up.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2007, 12:10:12 AM »

Terry-

What size rear tire did you decide to go with?

Grover...for my purposes on this bike, considering that I'm riding two up almost all the time, and with a considerable cargo load when on trips, I took the advice of the Metzler rep and went with the 16" rear...140/90x16 on the rear, and 140/70x18 on front.  Rear is rated for well over 900 lbs, so that was my deciding factor.  Will see enough of it to matter, and I'll know it's there, along with the rear rotor and pulley.  Dood ain't gonna' have chit on me for stealth chrome.. ;)  Metz has NO plans to come out with an 18" tire for the back that is rated for a touring bike which is used for it's intended purpose.  I've always got the 240 on the back of the V to do the cruising...

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2007, 12:17:36 AM »

Have seen their stuff for the SUV and other automotive market.  Didn't know they aftermarketed in to the bike world.  The Lyndalls and DPs are just so good, for relatively so little coin, it's hard not to use them.  Have taken PM 6 piston calipers that didn't feel any better than stock calipers w/Lynalls and then put Lyndalls on the PMs and it was a night and day difference.

EBC has a reputation for good stuff though.  Only thing I'd pay attention to is they also have a reputation for being hard on rotors in the automotive world.  So pay attention to those expensive new bike rotors and make sure you're not sanding them down and scuffing them up.

Don...looked them up on the web site...they make a bit different pad...copper metalic in the pad.  I was told by the rep and by Hogpro that they are very close to the Lyndal, but not quite as good, so we'll see.  If I'm not happy with them, it's a simple thing to change them out, so I'll give them a couple of thousand miles and see what's happening.   :nixweiss:  I'm not getting rid of this scoot anytime soon...I'll probably have this one until I retire...5 years.  I'm going to use the V a lot more this season for the runs close by since I've got it where I want it now.  The Duc is going though...

TTS Mastertune

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2007, 12:21:59 AM »

The Duc is going though...

Tc, tell me about the Deuce.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2007, 12:32:44 AM »

Tc, tell me about the Deuce.

AJ...I'm talking about my Ducati, not a Deuce.  Great bike, and I don't really want to sell it, but three is just too many.  It's not your typical Duc though...

TTS Mastertune

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2007, 09:32:41 AM »

Grover...for my purposes on this bike, considering that I'm riding two up almost all the time, and with a considerable cargo load when on trips, I took the advice of the Metzler rep and went with the 16" rear...140/90x16 on the rear, and 140/70x18 on front.  Rear is rated for well over 900 lbs, so that was my deciding factor. 

Good idea Terry,

For your riding habits, that's the last thing you'd have wanted to do is to be changing rears all the time.

As far as the matching pulley & rotors go, it's great to have a matching set, it really completes the look! You can really see the pulley with a 2:1 exhaust. On the duals, you can still see it, especially at a distance walking up to the bike. Then people know you have serious OCD issues  :huepfenlol2: :2vrolijk_21: But that's what it's all about :)

I'm thinking of getting my belt airbrushed to spice it up a little more while the bags are off (kinda like a open primary chopper guy wanna be :huepfenlol2:)

I did respond to your pm, so I hope you got my babbling pm a while back. I didn't know if it got lost in cyberspace....

Looking forward to seeing your new chrome sneakers on your Ultra Bling Machine....it's gonna be sweeeeeeet!!!!!!

Take care,

Grover

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2007, 10:34:27 AM »

Good idea Terry,

For your riding habits, that's the last thing you'd have wanted to do is to be changing rears all the time.

As far as the matching pulley & rotors go, it's great to have a matching set, it really completes the look! You can really see the pulley with a 2:1 exhaust. On the duals, you can still see it, especially at a distance walking up to the bike. Then people know you have serious OCD issues  :huepfenlol2: :2vrolijk_21: But that's what it's all about :)

I'm thinking of getting my belt airbrushed to spice it up a little more while the bags are off (kinda like a open primary chopper guy wanna be :huepfenlol2:)

I did respond to your pm, so I hope you got my babbling pm a while back. I didn't know if it got lost in cyberspace....

Looking forward to seeing your new chrome sneakers on your Ultra Bling Machine....it's gonna be sweeeeeeet!!!!!!

Take care,

Grover

Grover...I really appreciated your PM and advice/opinion during this process of deciding what to do.  This is a huge investment, and makes a dramatic difference in how the bike looks, so it is an agonizing process.  But, it feels good to finally settle on something and know that it just "feels" right.  The only part that won't be different is the rear caliper, and I just couldn't make myself spring for that one since it is truely hidden ALL the time.  The pulley and rotor will show, even if it's just a little bit, as will the wheel.  I'm really excited about this change to the bike....now I've got to get the chrome belt guard!!  Cams will be in her sometime late spring/early summer.  Next year is going to be a 2 week loop out to the Western States... :bananarock:

TTS Mastertune

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2007, 12:03:01 PM »

Grover...I really appreciated your PM and advice/opinion during this process of deciding what to do.  This is a huge investment, and makes a dramatic difference in how the bike looks, so it is an agonizing process.  But, it feels good to finally settle on something and know that it just "feels" right.  The only part that won't be different is the rear caliper, and I just couldn't make myself spring for that one since it is truely hidden ALL the time.  The pulley and rotor will show, even if it's just a little bit, as will the wheel.  I'm really excited about this change to the bike....now I've got to get the chrome belt guard!!  Cams will be in her sometime late spring/early summer.  Next year is going to be a 2 week loop out to the Western States... :bananarock:

Your gonna be happy once it's all completed....smiles for miles :)

I went with a chrome exchange rear caliper.....there's a small gap in front of the saddlebag that you can see a glimpse of the caliper.
http://highlustrechromeplating.com/ or http://chromethathog.com/

Chrome exchange caliper is only $150.00 w/exchange so I had to go for it!

http://www.highlustrechromeplating.com/catalog/index_2.html

Also, make sure you have the chrome rear spacers before the install, you'll be glad you did.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 12:08:33 PM by Grover »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 22 queries.