Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: CFR with Fullsac DX pipe  (Read 6656 times)

15RGLIDE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

CFR with Fullsac DX pipe
« on: December 21, 2015, 04:06:52 PM »

I have a 15 Road Glide. I installed the DX pipe and running 2 1/2" Fullsac cores wrapped. Followed with the TTS tune. Happy with this set up BUT I'm interested in going with CFR slip-ons (really only going for a deeper tone). I like the look of the stock cans vs the megaphone style of the CFR's. But then again I could get used to something different. Has anyone gone through this same process and if so what was the outcome?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: CFR with Fullsac DX pipe
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 04:32:46 PM »

CFR's will have a nasty torque loss at low RPM's. If you want I deep tone i would recommend the Crusher mufflers from Kury Akyn. They sound great with a nice deep tone and perform well.

15RGLIDE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 04:36:13 PM »

Ref the torque loss I was told that the 2 1/2" baffles would effect my low end torque. To be honest I haven't noticed any loss. Will look into the Crushers. thanks for the input.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 09:19:16 AM »

CFR's will have a nasty torque loss at low RPM's. If you want I deep tone i would recommend the Crusher mufflers from Kury Akyn. They sound great with a nice deep tone and perform well.

If he's ok power wise with the 2.5s, I don't think the CFRs will be a problem for him. Getting pretty close to apples and apples. Bottom of torque barrel apples, but still apples.

SG
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 02:04:03 PM »

Better to show how bad the loss ..  IF you want to spend big money for mufflers and tune to loose power that is up to you.. I no longer will tune them period..  Here is a 110 that the customer had a good muffler on then swapped to the CFR..  :puke:

2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »

That dyno sheet clearly shows why not to run CFR even though they sound good.

The torque lost is worst right were a touring bikes spends most its time, 2500 to 3000 rpm.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 10:44:26 PM »

Better to show how bad the loss ..  IF you want to spend big money for mufflers and tune to loose power that is up to you.. I no longer will tune them period..  Here is a 110 that the customer had a good muffler on then swapped to the CFR..  :puke:

Now that is "inarguable data" for sure! Too bad because they sure sound incredible but your right, after seeing this data it would seem crazy to me to install them.
Alan

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 08:04:58 PM »

One other thing to consider is you riding style and do you wear a full helmet?
You MAY get some "droning" sounds that will drive you insane after 4 hrs in the saddle.
I have some "long distance mufflers" that I only use when pulling my trailer and some "normal" cvo mufflers that I use at home. I had Steve make up both sets and they work well, no changes to my TTS tune with either one. Both have the same size cores but are different bodies. Works for me. JMHO, of course.
 :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 01:47:51 PM »

JMHO:

You can't go wrong with FulSac.
V&H Monster pipes have one of the best low rumbles I have heard. I miss the sound of mine, but not the weight - they are heavy. Also hard to get a good tune out of them.
Every CFR I have heard are Godawful loud.
Spada84
NoSofa!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 08:19:44 PM »

Trading "performance" for "sound"? :nixweiss:   And paying for it, on top of that!  :o
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

KC2GIW

• RUB
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2016 White Amethyst CVO Street Glide
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 01:55:43 PM »

How does the CFR baffle compare with, say, a V&H HO baffle - or in my case, the 450 baffle that's currently on the way?

I know the HO's on my last bike were pretty straight through however I've never read anyone having an issue with them making power. 

They're a great low tone, IMO
Matt - Syracuse, NY

2016 White Amethyst FLHXSE.
117 SE drop-in kit.
Jackpot 2:1:2, V&H 450 Titans.

2018 Arctic White Corvette Grand Sport

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 02:43:45 PM »

The high out put mufflers in my opinion are a far cry from great. Now if you want tq bragging rights for a PEAK number they do well there however not great low and and fall off fast compared to others.

Here is a over lay I posted a few times to show just to get an idea of the curve . Throw out the numbers and look at the shape. You will see that it was very slow to come in yet had the biggest peak but also fell off faster than the others as well. The Org ling is a fulsac C pipe with only 1.75 baffles to say that we had more engine than pipe well its a fact. yet even that set up worked better.  I am looking at % of tq at given points to be clear. It did make the same power but the curve fell off faster % wise ..  That muffler is a item that we tune often and it has a nice sound and great looks but fails in the tq area for low end power. Riders DO feel that and on a light throttle Roll on it can really be felt.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:45:49 PM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »

KC2GIW

• RUB
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 03:02:15 PM »

The high out put mufflers in my opinion are a far cry from great. Now if you want tq bragging rights for a PEAK number they do well there however not great low and and fall off fast compared to others.

Here is a over lay I posted a few times to show just to get an idea of the curve . Throw out the numbers and look at the shape. You will see that it was very slow to come in yet had the biggest peak but also fell off faster than the others as well. The Org ling is a fulsac C pipe with only 1.75 baffles to say that we had more engine than pipe well its a fact. yet even that set up worked better.  I am looking at % of tq at given points to be clear. It did make the same power but the curve fell off faster % wise ..  That muffler is a item that we tune often and it has a nice sound and great looks but fails in the tq area for low end power. Riders DO feel that and on a light throttle Roll on it can really be felt.

Interesting stuff - I spend most of my time between 2k and 4k so that will definitely be noticed.  My 103 had power duals and HO mufflers - interested to know what I was missing!
Matt - Syracuse, NY

117 SE drop-in kit.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 04:11:17 PM »

Comparing a WOT pull to a say 30% roll is a huge change as well.. Most will tell you how "well" that their bike runs, however the fact that most miss would be that they have A never had a " great ex " B that the tune was less than great as well.. Or C they have some V&H FPK tuner ( something like it )  and well they are what they are . It's slightly better than a canned map but they are no where near what a custom tune can bring to the table.

Here is a 2015 bike that the custom bought a PV tuner with pro module then a the Target Tune. Then went back and forth 4 + times with FM trying to get the tune sorted out. Bike was a stock 103 with the FM ex system.. SO he thinks its running great, cooler etc.  Rides with a group and gets left behind very fast and then can see that his bike really is not running as well as it could.  I made the base line pull with customer standing looking through the dyno booth window. He was shocked at how low the power really was.. We re tune and now it runs the way it should..   So back to the EX this is where it gets confusing for many , they " think its right "  He had the right parts just not the tune, get the wrong parts and less than good tune and its sad really when you look at the money spent .

The info is not 100% correct on the sheet , my mistake , TT tune FM ex . Customer has had too many bikes HA HA

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 04:13:30 PM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »

KC2GIW

• RUB
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 04:20:17 PM »

Yah unfortunately, the plug-and-play route is enticing but far from ideal. 

My bike will be headed to the dyno once I break it in for some custom love. 

That jump in torque is impressive - was the bike just running pig rich or something?
Matt - Syracuse, NY

117 SE drop-in kit.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 24 queries.