Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Rinehart True Duals vs V&H Dresser Duals  (Read 10932 times)

strohkr

Rinehart True Duals vs V&H Dresser Duals
« on: March 12, 2007, 07:16:39 PM »

I saw a set of Rineharts on an '07 EG and they were beautiful! So I quickly canceled my order for the Khrome Werks slip ons and told my dealer to order a set of Rineharts for my '07 SERK. He called me back and told me the Rineharts won't fit the '07 SERK and so far there's no factory fix. DAMN!
Now what? Back to the Khrome Werks???
I'm thinking maybe the V&H Dresser Duals with a set of V&H Oval Slip-Ons and then a SERT to dial everything in...
Dealer said they'll stand behind my warranty.
Any thoughts out there on the V&H set up????
Thanks!
Greg.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Rinehart True Duals vs V&H Dresser Duals
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 08:51:22 PM »

I saw a set of Rineharts on an '07 EG and they were beautiful! So I quickly canceled my order for the Khrome Werks slip ons and told my dealer to order a set of Rineharts for my '07 SERK. He called me back and told me the Rineharts won't fit the '07 SERK and so far there's no factory fix. DAMN!
I'm thinking maybe the V&H Dresser Duals with a set of V&H Oval Slip-Ons and then a SERT to dial everything in...
Thanks!
Greg.

Strohkr,

Several board members have the Rineharts on their 07's, including me. Your dealer is incorrect.

Chief

rubaga

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 08:55:12 PM »

I have also seen a lot of threads to this effect here.  Try contacting the tech support here before deciding to move on with your second option.

http://bub.com/

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 07:18:33 AM »

There have been some issues with the Rineharts on the SERKS.  Seems the front header pipe w/heat shield comes too close to the rear brake lever.  Most here have found a fix by either changing out the brake lever or milling the edge down so that there is clearance.  I have the Vance & Hines set up on my SEUC and love it. ;) No clearance issues at all. Great sound and looks.  Be advised, the ovals are a tad quieter than the Rineharts, but will still bark if you want them to.  Another alternative is you can go with the V&H headers, which pose no problems with the brake lever, and put Rinehart slippons on them. 

Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 09:42:10 AM »

Thanks!
Greg.

Strohkr,

I was real rushed with my first response. I've got a bit more time now, so I'll elaborate a bit.

Both V&H and Rinehart make pipes for the 07's. Both are good pipes, but both also have their problems. I chose the Rineharts, so I'll detail their known problems first.

** Rinehart Front O2 Sensor Orientation **

The O2 sensor bung points the O2 sensor towards the oil cooler adapter. If you run with the stock sensor, this is not a problem. If you replace the stock (narrowband) sensor with a wideband sensor for a self-tuning ignition, or exhaust gas analyzer, the orientation of the sensor causes it to hit the OC adapter. This problem can be remedied in one of two ways. You can either remove metal from the OC adapter to make room, or re-orient the bung. I chose to re-orient the bung. I threaded a M18-1.50 x 4" bolt into the bung, heated it up good and whacked the head of the bolt a couple of good ones to change the angle of the bung. It doesn't take much, maybe 5 to 10 degrees, and it clears fine.

** Rinehart Rear Brake Lever Conflict **

Some people have this problem and some don't. I did. The rear pipe cleared the brake lever by about 1/8" without the heat shield. The heatshield hit. I corrected the problem by marking the heatshield and using the end of a broom stick handle and a hammer to tap an indention into the heat shield. Problem solved.

Good News: Bub knows there is a problem. Bub WILL BE addressing them. The word from the top at Bub is to go ahead and make the changes you feel necessary to make the pipes fit, and WHEN they get the changes made, you can get a free replacement. You need to make a warranty claim with Bub in order to get notified when the new pipe becomes available.

** V&H Rear O2 Sensor Orientation **

The rear O2 sensor orientation produces problems when the stock sensors are replaced with wideband sensors. The tail end of the sensor hits the nipple on the transmission top cover. I have seen members have moved the nipple on the cover, or re-oriented the bung for clearance. Either way works.

Those are the two most popular options for True Duals on the 07's. Both have problems, but are workable. The choice is up to you.

Best of luck in your quest,

Chief

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 09:46:34 PM »

I have the V&H Dresser Duals and Ovals on my '06 CUSE.  Love 'em.  The one advantage in going with the V&H Dresser Duals is that any slip-on muffler will fit.  If you go with the Rineharts and they are too loud for you you're stuck as only the Rinehart mufflers will fit the head pipes.  Just something to keep in mind.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 09:40:21 AM »

Other than the true dual head pipe problem, below is a dyno test between V&H Classic slip-on's vs Rinehart True Duals. The second thing you should look at is how you ride and how your building your motor. The V&H are better at the lower end up to about 4 grand, then the Rinehart's take over on the top end.

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/mbbs2/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=108&mid=1886#M1886

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 09:51:13 AM »

Just cranked up the bike last night for the first time with the Rineharts on, and I think the bike will be plenty loud.

Chief

<EDIT> I'm looking for performance much like the DYNORUN.014 on this chart. The torque dip is not nearly as severe as on the one shown above.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 10:03:06 AM by Chief »

strohkr

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 12:01:12 PM »

You guys have been great.
Right now it looks like I'm going to go with the V&H Dresser Duals - not absolutely positive what mufflers I'm going to use. I'm kinda leaning toward the V&H Ovals but I had Khrome Werks mufflers on my Ultra and really liked them. I sent an email to the tech guy at my dealer to see what he thinks.
I picked V&H because after talking with tech support at Rhinehart (Bubs) I just don't want to hassle with the fit of their pipes - and V&H will fit without any problems.
My riding is more low end than top end - so maybe the V&H system will work best for me. Guess I'll find out.
Other than the pipes and air cleaner I don't know if I'm going to do anything else to the engine - at least until the warranty is over - then who knows!!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 12:10:15 PM »

You guys have been great.
Right now it looks like I'm going to go with the V&H Dresser Duals - not absolutely positive what mufflers I'm going to use. I'm kinda leaning toward the V&H Ovals but I had Khrome Werks mufflers on my Ultra and really liked them. I sent an email to the tech guy at my dealer to see what he thinks.
I picked V&H because after talking with tech support at Rhinehart (Bubs) I just don't want to hassle with the fit of their pipes - and V&H will fit without any problems.
My riding is more low end than top end - so maybe the V&H system will work best for me. Guess I'll find out.
Other than the pipes and air cleaner I don't know if I'm going to do anything else to the engine - at least until the warranty is over - then who knows!!

Strohkr,

In my mind, more important than pipes and air cleaner is richening up the motor. I think it is pretty important if you are not going to do anything else, and really, really important if you are going to do anything to allow more air through the motor. The 07 motors are REALLY lean coming from the factory, and pipes and air cleaner will make that even worse.

Chief

strohkr

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 12:18:55 PM »

Oooops....
Forgot - I'm putting on the SERT - that should help the engine run properly.
I'm going with the SERT over the PC III because my dealer will cover my warranty with the SERT and they know what they're doing SERT wise (they've done good work with them over the years).
Thanks again!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 12:20:30 PM »

Oooops....
I'm going with the SERT over the PC III because my dealer will cover my warranty with the SERT and they know what they're doing SERT wise (they've done good work with them over the years).
Thanks again!

Whew.... close one.  :2vrolijk_21:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 06:45:16 PM »

Oooops....
Thanks again!
That's your best bet.  If your dealer is good with the SERT, then go with that...they will get the most out of your bike for you.  I'm very happy with the V&H setup I have...I like the torque coming on earlier as I do most of my riding in that range...I'm not like the d00d-ster, and ride high on the cam!! :P
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

Rhino

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 09:09:33 PM »

Personally I went with the Rineharts due to the higher torque, and that's what the Dressers like, to get there fast.  I think the V & H would be a great runner, if perhaps a small torque cone was installed. Then they would give a fantastic run IMO.  Horsepower means nothing unless you are going for top end all the time. Me, I like the light to light buzz.

Rhino

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 02:25:37 PM »

Strohkr,
I am going with the V&H Dresser Duals and Oval slip ons as well.  But I am going to install the Thunder Max with auto tune instead of the SERT.  My bike's warranty expires this month anyway.  I talked to Pete at Zippers yesterday and there is a 2-3 week lead time on the TM.  I am ordering an extra sensor bung to have welded on the rear pipe due to the fitment on the stock.  That seems to be the most logical solution.  Good luck.
 :cherry:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 05:18:11 PM »

...I'm not like the d00d-ster, and ride high on the cam!! :P
Red
Oh it is so much fun though. :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 06:15:02 PM »

Oh it is so much fun though. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

It's the only way to FLY, right d00d?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 06:17:56 PM »

It's the only way to FLY, right d00d?
Oh yea!!! You try to be good and ease on the throttle and all of a sudden you feel this surge and your evil twin takes over and you find yourself twisting the wick, and slamming gears. Wooooo Hoooo!!!!

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hdblackice2007

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 07:53:28 PM »

pete at zippers had his installers put RH true dualls and auto tune my rk sc in daytona rh will fit just use the spacers rh gives you everything works so good now( a bad ass bike )going and getting lab top so i can do i little tweeking and be able to get hd warranty
on ecm out of my mind i will not need them auto tune will tell me everything i want know got a few years warranty but for the tire and rims i got great price for some reason i allways get nails or screws in my tires ill be happy to get a few tires for my warranty money pete thanks my friend has 110 battery goes dead like in 3 or 4 days if tender not on the bike hd says that what he has to do to keep battery charged no battery should go dead that fast mine doesn,t do that they said battery fine i love harleys but not all the crap you have to put up with to keep your warranty and all that epa junk epa lets

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 04:54:12 PM »

On the Rineharts loudness - for some who wish to tone them down a bit, the baffles can be wrapped (high heat fiberglass).  Takes some of the "edge" off them.  FYI
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Rhino

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 09:34:38 PM »

On the Rinehart true duals, I think they come with a 2.125 baffle as stock.  They offer a 2.5" baffle and a 2.0 inch baffle. I havfe heard, but not confirmed, that the 2.0 baffle is quieter, and also offers a slight torque oncrease. Best to give them a call and find out.  If so, please post, becasue I would also be interested in a good answer.

Thanks
Rhino

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 01:36:17 PM »

Rhino - I spoke to the tech guy at Bub re: Rinehart on this sound issue already.  The "quiet baffle" has only slightly less sound output as compared to the sound output of the performance baffles, which the tech recommended if a quieter pipe was preferable.  Plus, you get a little tweak up in HP/torque with the performance baffles - did not say how much. 

I plan to try the fiberglass packing first, since it costs less and should not affect performance.

I considered the Vance & Hines true duals, but the charts I have seen indicate the Rineharts outperform them.  2 in 1 is better performance-wise, but I like the true dual system for a number of reasons.

strohkr

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 01:50:15 PM »

I almost went with V&H's 2 into 1 - but decided to do the Dresser Duals with Khrome Werks mufflers. I didn't want to mess with the Rineharts fit problems (07 SERK).
What are some of the reasons you like the 2 into 2 over the 2 into 1?
I like the looks of the 2 into 2 better and it helps to reduce the heat that I use to get from the right side of my bike with the stock system.
I know the 2 into 1 performs better - but I just don't like the look (sorry to those that have them!)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007, 02:02:21 PM »

I almost went with V&H's 2 into 1 - but decided to do the Dresser Duals with Khrome Werks mufflers. I didn't want to mess with the Rineharts fit problems (07 SERK).
What are some of the reasons you like the 2 into 2 over the 2 into 1?
I like the looks of the 2 into 2 better and it helps to reduce the heat that I use to get from the right side of my bike with the stock system.
I know the 2 into 1 performs better - but I just don't like the look (sorry to those that have them!)

3 main reasons:

The heat issue you referred to already - right/left side is even with 2/2.

The ability to tune each cylinder independently of the other.

The "look" - 2/2 gives the bike a balanced look and the $&*$@#$  >:( crossover pipe is eliminated.

There is a 4th reason on the Rineharts.  I had one of the very first sets of true duals they offered and had several issues - bracket broke, ate a hole in the left header with the Kuryakyn passenger adjustable peg mount, and the first set of baffles were incorrect length (stock baffles) and they chewed a little hole in the bottom of each muffler.  In each and every case, Bub (Rinehart manufacturer) sent repalcement parts at no charge - also free shipping.  In one instance they overnighted since we had a trip planned and they made SURE the new headers were there so I would not miss it.  After all these issues, they have given me no trouble.  That is what I get for getting the first versions of new products, but sometimes I just refuse to remember why. ;D  The performance they gave my 02 RK was well worth all of it. ;D

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2007, 07:53:54 PM »

Rhino - I spoke to the tech guy at Bub re: Rinehart on this sound issue already.  The "quiet baffle" has only slightly less sound output as compared to the sound output of the performance baffles, which the tech recommended if a quieter pipe was preferable.  Plus, you get a little tweak up in HP/torque with the performance baffles - did not say how much. 

I plan to try the fiberglass packing first, since it costs less and should not affect performance.

I considered the Vance & Hines true duals, but the charts I have seen indicate the Rineharts outperform them.  2 in 1 is better performance-wise, but I like the true dual system for a number of reasons.

Depending on what you want for performance and your riding style.  If you're looking for a couple extra ponies up around 5500 rpms, then the Rineharts are your duals, torque-wise, they have roughly the same peak with the Vance and Hines coming in a bit earlier at around 2.7-3k and the Rineharts coming in around 3.5-4k.  I spend most of my riding in the 2-3k range, so the torque coming in with the V&H's fits my riding style better.  I'm never up in the 6K range.  You have to go with what works for your riding style. JMHO.
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 08:01:11 PM »

I wrapped mine last year to take the edge off and it didn't seem to do a thing for them. The glass makes a big difference in the Kerker's, but I couldn't hear a bit of difference with the glass in the Rinehart's. I ended up with the quiet baffle; works.

djkak

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2007, 08:14:14 AM »

Red - I noticed a better power band overall when riding with the Rineharts - with stock pipes the 02 RK was nothing much when under 2k, but with them it was noticably better.  Close frind has the V & H & loves them so it is individual preference. They are a quieter pipe.

djkak - Thanks for the info.  If I get the same results, I will go with the performance baffle most likely.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 08:20:40 AM »

Red - I noticed a better power band overall when riding with the Rineharts - with stock pipes the 02 RK was nothing much when under 2k, but with them it was noticably better.  Close frind has the V & H & loves them so it is individual preference. They are a quieter pipe.

djkak - Thanks for the info.  If I get the same results, I will go with the performance baffle most likely.
Over the stock pipes, they both offer better performance overall.  :)  But if you look at the dyno charts you'll see that the non-stepped headers generally hit their peak torque earlier than the stepped headers do.  You're right it's an individual preference to your riding style, looks, sound and what you expect to get out of them. 
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

Rhino

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 10:57:14 PM »

Thanks ISKIFREELY

I was wondering about that issue.  Take care!

Rhino

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 11:28:21 PM »

All the parts are in - pipes, SERT, etc. and time scheduled on the dyno next week as well.

Have a weekend trip planned, so won't install until next week, due to travel schedule, but the jester is jonseing for more torque.  Or mebbe its me????

I'll post results.

hdblackice2007

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 09:35:45 AM »

rh true and autotune sounds great gets loud if you want it too low rpm,s the pipes are not that loud
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 24 queries.