Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Why EFI Vehicles Need To Be Tuned  (Read 5541 times)

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
Why EFI Vehicles Need To Be Tuned
« on: January 22, 2009, 04:15:08 PM »

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the best explaination I've seen for an idiot to understand the tuners.

For all the people that don't quite understand why you need a Race Tuner (SERT) or Power Commander (PCIII USB) for your Harley please read this. This was not written by Harley (who makes the SERT-Race Tuner). I favor the Race Tuner but will concede that the PCIII is also a good piece of equipment. But PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE...Don't use the HD download

Why EFI Vehicles Need To Be Tuned
The need for "re-mapping" a fuel injected bike only arises when internal and/or
external engine components are replaced with non stock components, i.e. air
cleaners and exhaust systems. When components are changed on an engine to
any non stock or "performance" part you alter the way that engine moves air in
and out, thus altering the Volumetric Efficiency. If the V.E. is altered the stock
ECM fuel settings continue to deliver fuel at a base-line rate unaware that the air
delivery has changed. With the fuel delivery unchanged and the fact that this
engine is receiving more air there is a lean condition created that will most likely
cause engine damage due to higher heat levels in the combustion chamber. A VTwin
engine is just that, two separate cylinders in a "V" configuration which
generally speaking will cause these cylinders to flow air at a different efficiency
rate. This effect is mostly caused by a non tuned exhaust system that flows air at
different rates from front to rear thus changing the volumetric efficiency.
With the advancements and complexity of today's fuel injection systems
simplicity is not necessarily advantageous. The need to compensate for fuel
delivery to a modified engine ideally would be performed by the original engineer
or programmer of the ECM since they would be the one most knowledgeable on
this system. Since this avenue is not available to the average consumer, a
method of putting a "Band-Aid" type programmer (HD Download) to compensate
for the modifications is the easiest solution, however it is not necessarily the best.
Installing a "Band-Aid" on a system with this complexity can sometimes create a
whole new realm of problems that the original engineers could not have
anticipated.
The Dyno Jet Power Commander unit with it's 126 fuel adjustment cells and 126
spark timing cells offer simplicity that cannot always compensate for the high
demands of a modified V-Twin engine. Especially when the cylinders have a
different V.E. rate, this also offers a "Band-Aid" solution at best.
The H-D EFI Race Tuner Kit offers 220 Volumetric Efficiency adjustment cells for
each cylinder along with an Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) adjustment table that has an
additional 120 cells for a total of 560 fuel adjustment cells. There are also 220
cells for each cylinder to compensate for spark timing, fuel enrichment cells for
cold start and cranking enrichment for easier starting. With these extra tables and
cell adjustments there are over 1000 adjustments that can be made. Also
consider the advantages with having the ability to set your idle mixture as well as
idle speed and having access to your own rev limiter which is adjustable from
4000 to 7500 RPM.

I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Why EFI Vehicles Need To Be Tuned
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 10:13:13 PM »

???  Huh? What? :confused5:
Jesus is Lord

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 10:17:42 PM »

Reads like an advert for the SERT, doesn't it?

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 11:31:25 PM »

Reads like an advert for the SERT, doesn't it?

It's more like an ad for the PCIII.......... :nixweiss:
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 11:32:32 PM »

It's more like an ad for the PCIII.......... :nixweiss:

Yeah, that's what I meant! I think I'm starting to show early signs of OldTimers Syndrome!

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 07:29:33 AM »

Sounds like a description of an apple versus an orange, Makes perfectly good sense and having been around both, I agree!!!  For me the proof is always in the pudding, I already know,send me an employment application for either one I'm getting bored this winter already.
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 11:31:21 PM »

Thanks for the comments. Let's me know what is real and what is not.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

gremlush

• I may not be good, BUT, I am slow.
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 10:20:20 AM »

I don't understand how we lived without fuel inj. and cell phones. I must be old ,because I remember talking into a 'can' that had a string attached to it,for the 'other' can. Getting fuel into your hog was easy , Mikuni 'round' slide {44mm} . Daniel Boone  {Fess Parker}  :rolleyes4:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 10:42:05 AM »

I don't understand how we lived without fuel inj. and cell phones. I must be old ,because I remember talking into a 'can' that had a string attached to it,for the 'other' can. Getting fuel into your hog was easy , Mikuni 'round' slide {44mm} . Daniel Boone  {Fess Parker}  :rolleyes4:

Daniel (Fess) was a proud American and use a Super D Dewey!!! ::) :P ;D ;D ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 11:05:34 AM »

I met Fess Parker back in the early 70's at the grand opening of Mariots Great America theme Park in Santa Clara Ca. Right nice guy. He let my infant son place a ring on a bottle to win a HUGE stuffed animal. :jack:

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 12:07:05 PM »

O.K. I give, who wrote the excerpt  :nixweiss:

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 09:10:32 AM »

O.K. I give, who wrote the excerpt  :nixweiss:

Dyno Jet, explaining why you NEED a PCIII tuner........

read it again slowly.. :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 10:33:17 AM »

Dyno Jet, explaining why you NEED a PCIII tuner........

read it again slowly.. :2vrolijk_21:

Read it again, even slower. ;)  Why would Dyno Jet bad mouth their own product while extolling the virtues of the SERT?
--------------------------------------------------------
"The Dyno Jet Power Commander unit with it's 126 fuel adjustment cells and 126
spark timing cells offer simplicity that cannot always compensate for the high
demands of a modified V-Twin engine
. Especially when the cylinders have a
different V.E. rate, this also offers a "Band-Aid" solution at best.

The H-D EFI Race Tuner Kit offers 220 Volumetric Efficiency adjustment cells for
each cylinder along with an Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) adjustment table that has an
additional 120 cells for a total of 560 fuel adjustment cells. There are also 220
cells for each cylinder to compensate for spark timing, fuel enrichment cells for
cold start and cranking enrichment for easier starting. With these extra tables and
cell adjustments there are over 1000 adjustments that can be made. Also
consider the advantages with having the ability to set your idle mixture as well as
idle speed and having access to your own rev limiter which is adjustable from
4000 to 7500 RPM."

------------------------------------------------------
I forget where I originally read this, but it was at least a couple years back and it was a pitch explaining why the SERT was a better choice than the PCIII, at least in this person's opinion.  In my opinion, he is probably correct if someone wants or needs access to all those additional tables that a PC can't access.  For those who don't want or need to fine tune the warm-up tables, the idle speed, etc. the PC still offers less complexity which results in less expense both for the hardware and for dyno time.  And the PC is still able to be removed without a trace, unlike the SERT, which eases the minds of those worried about the cheap bast#@ds at H-D trying to void their warranty.

Unless someone just enjoys poking around in lots of tables, the best advice is still to find a good tuner first and then let him steer you to the device he recommends.  As time goes by the good tuners will probably learn and be more comfortable with multiple choices, but there are still many who are "experts" with only one particular device.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 10:14:23 PM »

Damm.....LOL

you're right! :D

I really do need to read slower! :2vrolijk_21:

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 01:37:49 PM »

I forget where I originally read this, but it was at least a couple years back and it was a pitch explaining why the SERT was a better choice than the PCIII, at least in this person's opinion.  In my opinion, he is probably correct if someone wants or needs access to all those additional tables that a PC can't access.  For those who don't want or need to fine tune the warm-up tables, the idle speed, etc. the PC still offers less complexity which results in less expense both for the hardware and for dyno time.  And the PC is still able to be removed without a trace, unlike the SERT, which eases the minds of those worried about the cheap bast#@ds at H-D trying to void their warranty.

Unless someone just enjoys poking around in lots of tables, the best advice is still to find a good tuner first and then let him steer you to the device he recommends.  As time goes by the good tuners will probably learn and be more comfortable with multiple choices, but there are still many who are "experts" with only one particular device.

Jerry

Why would you think that to be able to do a better job makes it harder? Just because features are there, that does not mean it needs to be used. The extra feature set when not used make it as easy to use as a PC to use.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 08:27:04 PM »

Why would you think that to be able to do a better job makes it harder? Just because features are there, that does not mean it needs to be used. The extra feature set when not used make it as easy to use as a PC to use.

I don't think that's what I said Steve.

"For those who don't want or need to fine tune the warm-up tables, the idle speed, etc. the PC still offers less complexity which results in less expense both for the hardware and for dyno time.  And the PC is still able to be removed without a trace, unlike the SERT, which eases the minds of those worried about the cheap bast#@ds at H-D trying to void their warranty."

Even without getting involved in all the other parameters, a SERT tune will require more dyno time than a similar tune with a PC.  This has been attested to by many tuners and members on this site, and is reflected in the charges of those I know who tune with both devices.  So if someone is interested in conserving resources ($$) more than they are interested in owning some extra capabilities that they may never need or use, in my opinion the PC may be all they will ever need.  I have no personal axe to grind or financial interest in any of those choices, btw.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mvent

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 03:22:21 PM »

I have to agree with Gremlush, been riding for years with carbs and thought my bikes ran great using 42 Mikunis leaned out a bit, 3 jets and an air screw, now I have FI tuned with SERT and it seems necessary to tune every 250 RPM and throttle position or my bike CAN'T be running or tuned properly  :nixweiss:

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »

You do not have to tune it every 250 RPM but if you want to you can. The PC just adds on top of what is already in the factory tune. A SERT only shows you the factory tune and allows you to change what you want. IF you want to do it like a PC you can, if you want to tune it and use all the functions you can. Anyone that thinks its harder to do than a PC has not used it most likely. Look the PC works but this BS of the SERT being harder to use than a PC is just that...... BS.

To make a PC like tune with SERT just go to the AFR table and move it high and lower this will richen or lean the mixture same as a PC does. To change the Spark go to the spark tables for the front or rear cylinder and add or subtract spark just the same as you would a PC. Done simple and just as easy to use as a PC with no extra parts or wiring on the bike.

Now if you want to step up and do it better you also have all the controls to do that as well, but Like I said before you do not have to use them all.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 10:48:03 PM »

Feeler gauge, static timing, maybe a timing light but a good ear.  Brings back memories of the good old days.  Almost as good as a good donut hole.

PS.  We need to see if we can get a donut icon for Dewey

mvent

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 07:56:24 AM »

Steve, I agree, I don't really think you need to tune every 250 rpm, that was tongue in cheek , and my opinion of using the SERT, is once you get into actually using it, it's really straight forward and changes can be made easier than with a timing light or screwdriver, data logging is a great feature for feedback also. I'm jealous I can't V-Tune like the new bikes using your new system !!!
Mike  :(

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 08:28:17 AM »

Feeler gauge, static timing, maybe a timing light but a good ear.  Brings back memories of the good old days.  Almost as good as a good donut hole.

PS.  We need to see if we can get a donut icon for Dewey

Ain't nuthin wrong with that dm! Been doing my carb bikes like that for years! Still do! And I think Vern's ears have a built-in timing light in them! But we ain't doing that with a Race Tuner on an EFI bike though! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 08:29:49 AM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 11:32:48 PM »

Ain't nuthin wrong with that dm! Been doing my carb bikes like that for years! Still do! And I think Vern's ears have a built-in timing light in them! But we ain't doing that with a Race Tuner on an EFI bike though! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Hoist,  that is one I  have not heard before.   Good one.   :laugh4: :laugh4:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:38:22 PM by dmnrdn »
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 21 queries.