Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Helmet opinions  (Read 18637 times)

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Helmet opinions
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2006, 08:27:29 PM »

I guess I'll find out myself, I bought one today.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2006, 11:56:02 PM »

I bought one of those KBC Stealth Flames and I'm not sure I like it very much. Seems pretty heavy and has quite a bit of wind noise. This is the first fact/flip deal I've owed, so I assume this is part of the compromise from the traditional full face models?  
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2006, 06:33:53 AM »

That's the one, thanks for the reply. How hot does it have to get out before it becomes uncomfortable ? Or is it OK .
Heat hasn't been a serious issue due to the fact you can flip up the front. In all fairness I don't live in a terribly hot climate.

2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2006, 06:36:01 AM »

I guess I'll find out myself, I bought one today.
Keep in mind that all the pads are replaceable. They range from something like 10mm up to 45mm. That allows for a lot of custom fitting. For me having extra cheek pads around wasn't a big deal as my wife has the same helmet.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2006, 06:39:01 AM »

I bought one of those KBC Stealth Flames and I'm not sure I like it very much. Seems pretty heavy and has quite a bit of wind noise. This is the first fact/flip deal I've owed, so I assume this is part of the compromise from the traditional full face models?
2023 CVO Road Glide

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2006, 07:52:01 AM »

Your correct. The wind noise can be horrible on some flip up helmets. I'd like to try the high end helmet mentioned earlier in this thread. It has to be hard for a manufacture to make a modular helmet as quiet as a standard helmet.

I have a shelf full of helmets, I guess I have searched for the perfect one. Ain't no such thing! I have found every mfg. has a different fit and you just need to find which is best for you. For me, I've found as far as comfort and wind noise, Shoei flip/face is best for me. It does have sub-standard venting, maybe that is why it is so quiet. The HD flip face is not as quiet but vents better and is not as comfortable to me. Although a friend has it and it is his favorite. It seems if you don't want to spend alot of time customizing the fit, I'd try on different manufacturerers until it feels just right, then live with the short-comings of that particular helmet. After all, number 1 should be safety and comfort, the other stuff is just fluff. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2006, 08:28:25 AM »

It was a cool day yesterday, about 65 degrees. The ride home from the dealership was about 60 miles and all interstate. I thought that the helmet was pretty quiet, but then again I'm used to a 3/4 with face shield. I had to turn the radio up a couple of notches to hear it as well. Even at 65 degrees, I opened the shield about halfway and was pretty comfortable. It will probably be a different story at 80 degrees. I tried on a Fulmer the day before and it was pretty comfortable but its venting didn't seem as good as the Harley but it was half the price.

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2006, 11:13:33 AM »

I bought a Z1R Nomad Helmet. This is it. Only 69.99 free shipping from Dennis Kirk.
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

TankerPig

• Full CVO Member
  • Be careful, sobriety can make you do silly things!
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2006, 03:20:33 PM »

HD's new carbon fiber half shell is like $225. And I'm actually sick of giving HD anymore $$$ to their high profit imported motorclothes dept.

Check out Advanced Carbon [highlight]www.carbonfiberhelmets.com [/highlight]I just ordered mine Thursday. Only $125 with shipping. The only problem is they're running about 3 weeks behind. Check out their website, It gives some good insite into their design.

Take care,

Grover

I just ordered one yesterday.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 03:22:04 PM by TankerPig »
2005 Screamin Eagle Fatboy
V&H Big Shots Staggered
Zipper's High Flow Air Cleaner
PCIII USB
PM Contrast Cut Gasser wheels, pulley, rotors

KickStand

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2006, 10:37:17 AM »

I wear a half shell from HD and it's the best fitting helmet I've had. Don't know who makes them for HD. Cost me about $125 as I recall.

HJC makes most of HD helmets. They are a low end helmet maker that you are paying a premium dollar for.
KickStand

KickStand

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2006, 10:42:02 AM »

Remember the old adage if you have a $60.00 head buy a $60.00 helmet, if not...
KickStand

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2006, 09:35:19 PM »

HD's new carbon fiber half shell is like $225. And I'm actually sick of giving HD anymore $$$ to their high profit imported motorclothes dept.

Check out Advanced Carbon www.carbonfiberhelmets.com I just ordered mine Thursday. Only $125 with shipping. The only problem is they're running about 3 weeks behind. Check out their website, It gives some good insite into their design.

Take care,

Grover

ACC makes a great helmet, DOT approved and extremely lightweight and comfortable.  Recommended to several of my friends and they are just as satisfied.  Order with leather ear flap and chin strap
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2006, 12:53:27 AM »

I plan on getting one for my wife and me as soon as I can get in early enough to order. I am going with out the leather side flaps as I use my full face for the cooler days.

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2006, 09:53:39 AM »

Well my buckets came in and let me tell you they are going back today.I tried it on I look like a nimrod with it on.I have to physically see and try one on if I'm going to buy one.Using the internet without actually seeing it is futile.
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2006, 10:31:43 AM »

Well my buckets came in and let me tell you they are going back today.I tried it on I look like a nimrod with it on.I have to physically see and try one on if I'm going to buy one.Using the internet without actually seeing it is futile.

[smiley=worthless.gif]

Sorry, couldn't resist.
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 21 queries.