Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Virginia riders - warning about new state code 46.2-206.1  (Read 8785 times)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Virginia riders - warning about new state code 46.2-206.1
« on: June 23, 2007, 09:25:20 AM »

This new code applies to Virginia residents who commit traffic violations. It adds civil fines on top of any fines and court costs given in Traffic Court. It could cost you up to an additional $3,000 dollars depending on the offense and the amount can't be reduced by the court.
Something like failure to signal a turn could cost you $1,000.
See attached file for a chart of offenses and fines.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Virginia riders - warning about new state code 46.2-206.1
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 09:31:01 AM »

Sounds like something Bloomberg would do! I guess I'm safe for now when I blast thru. It's for VA residents only! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 10:00:11 AM »

Well, just goes to show that the legislators can get creative in the way the collect taxes.

However, if it improves the driving habits of the public it may not be all bad.  Looks like most of it makes sense to me if you read the infractions it covers.

Seems like many drivers think the rules of the road are for everyone else and not them these days.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 08:44:52 PM »

Fortunately, the $1000 for failure to signal, comes under the "RD" or reckless driving category.  They're only going to hit you for a normal fine if you do "normal" misdemeanors.  It's a pretty extensive list, but it's only what I'd expect them to do for the categories of violations they're talking about in the legislation.  I don't have a problem with any, except the traveling in excess of 80 mph...which I never, ever, do...honest ::)
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 02:24:17 PM »

20 MPH over any Speed limit will get you reckless driving - RECKLESS DRIVING is a catch phrase making you have to go to court and have the fine set by a judge as we don't have a slide rule value of fine for your offense.

More farming for revenue

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 02:28:02 PM »

Thanks Dave for posting this.  Heard about it on the news, but reading the listing brings it a lot closer to home. We are really going to have to watcht he way we drive.  More in the car than on the bikes, although we drive much faster on bikes then we ever do in the 4 wheeled vehicles.  I got a ticket a few years ago that won me the priviledge of not being able to drive for a few weeks.  Let me tell you, that scared me real bad.  Riding with Lugnut57 from this site a couple of years ago, he and I both got speeding tickets on our SEEGs.  He is from NY, so he would have just got the $55 ticket.  I'd have to pay the extra cause I am from VA.  If it is just a money raising venue, why pull over anyone with out of state tags? 

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 02:41:42 PM »

20 MPH over any Speed limit will get you reckless driving - RECKLESS DRIVING is a catch phrase making you have to go to court and have the fine set by a judge as we don't have a slide rule value of fine for your offense.

Yep - got it once when I lived in VA, too.  I ended up hiring a lawyer to get it reduced to speeding.  Still cost a bundle, but less than the reckless driving charge would have cost, between fines and insurance going up.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 02:49:40 PM »

See attached file for a chart of offenses and fines.

Good Lord, what a list!!!!!  What a revenue bonanza!!!!!  A*%*@#@s. 

bc

ps - I gotta watch that driving overweight offense ... 
'07 FXSTSSE

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 03:11:23 PM »

Thanks....sent it to my boy, he was just about to get his license moved from MD to VA, I think this'll stop him.....

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 05:25:43 PM »

Fortunately, the $1000 for failure to signal, comes under the "RD" or reckless driving category.  They're only going to hit you for a normal fine if you do "normal" misdemeanors. 

I understand what you're saying, but complete disagree with the sentiment.  What's going to happen is that, by making it SO financially attractive, they're going to start writing a whole lot more RD tickets.  All you need to trigger a RD ticket is a combination of things, like speeding in conjunction with a failure to signal.  Think the typical scenario where you gotta get out of the way of a developing situation - now - and you goose the throttle - something actually more common (and needed) on a bike than in a cage.  Presto, pal! just got yourself a RD ticket.  And in no time at all, when the $$ come rolling in, they'll start writing RD tickets in every crappy little speed trap in the state.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 10:26:14 PM »

I think everyone is reading way too much into this bit of legislation.  There's extenuating circumstances to everything done, unless it's blatantly obvious that you're disregarding the law.  To be honest, you can get pegged for reckless driving now, by combining numerous offenses.  It could be a revenue stream...you just gotta watch what you do.   Like I always used to tell my troops in my previous life in the Navy:  "You can do or say anything you want, as long as you're willing to accept the consequences of your actions." 

2012 FLHXSE3

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 10:51:21 AM »

I think everyone is reading way too much into this bit of legislation.  ...

I don't think so - not when the stated purpose of the legislation, embedded right in the text itself, is revenue.  That actually amazed me.  It's a pretty bald-faced statement, especially since stuff like this is usually justified with appeals to safety.  Nope, it's we want more money, so we're sticking it to you.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 10:54:16 AM »

I don't think so - not when the stated purpose of the legislation, embedded right in the text itself, is revenue.  That actually amazed me.  It's a pretty bald-faced statement, especially since stuff like this is usually justified with appeals to safety.  Nope, it's we want more money, so we're sticking it to you.

bc

I'd have to vote for those wankers just because of the honesty displayed in the document.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 10:56:53 AM »

I'll be watching my P's and Q's riding through Virginia next week.... :nervous: :nervous:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 11:02:15 AM »

I'll be watching my P's and Q's riding through Virginia next week.... :nervous: :nervous:
The thing of it is Terry is that you are exempt for the extra charges. It is only the VA residents that will have to pay the premiums.  I think they will stop pulling over out of state drivers unless blatantly breaking the law, and only target the VA drivers.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 12:11:24 PM »

The thing of it is Terry is that you are exempt for the extra charges. It is only the VA residents that will have to pay the premiums.  I think they will stop pulling over out of state drivers unless blatantly breaking the law, and only target the VA drivers.

Hope you're right, Candy.  Just makes you wonder if they'll be targeting more generally so the odds go up a bit in getting stopped.  I won't be hauling butt anyway, so don't think they'll bother me.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 02:43:30 PM »

Can't tell from reading but do fees all go to the state or are they then split/allocated with the local jurisdictions?  If locals can't tie their actions directly to increase revenue then at least some incentive for more aggressive ticketing may be removed.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 09:48:49 AM »

Nation wide, Policeing is more about revenue generating than it is about crime. the top brass in most jurisdictions are concerned about budgets and building their little empires. they want to hassle people with money, fine em and generate revenue. here South West Florida we are awash in illigal immergrints, they are on every corner, I t is not in the interest of police to get involved with them, by either jailing or fining them...they are under false names once released they dissapear, so rather waste officers time on people they cant get money out of....they just dont hassle them...no return on the time spent...Let me go down the road that i pay taxes on...and commit a slight infraction...they officers that pay the saleries of will ticket me. and fine me ....So Virgina is doing the same thing....If traveling thru Virgina I got a 1000 dollar fine and a court apperance...I would blow it off and not return Virgina, they know that so they bother me with the heavy , but will to their citizens...... :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

Carlos Silva

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 02:25:29 PM »

...ever more proof that elections have consequences boys and girls :oops:

p.s. Northern Virginia is the worst, they have more cops/copcars per capita than most, so, ease up if you're comin' through Fairfax County everyone...I-95 runs right through it...and, Va. is only state where Radar Detectors are illegal :soapbox:
2000 FLTRSEI  3-ToneRed - sold
2003 FXSTDSE  Centennial Gold
2009 FLTRSE3  Silver/Titanium
2007 400-HP TRAILBLAZER SS TOW VEHICLE

...when it comes to buying toys, I can justify anything

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Va. new laywer inspired speeding laws
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 09:46:08 PM »

Thanks laylonlor. I better stay the hell out of that place. I get caught there, there'll be a new article, about the highest fine levied yet! ::)  Your safe for now d00d! ;) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 09:50:09 PM »

Thanks laylonlor. I better stay the hell out of that place. I get caught there, there'll be a new article, about the highest fine levied yet! ::)  Your safe for now d00d! ;) Hoist! 8)
Unfortunately the Commonwealth of Virginia has decided that those fines will only apply to Virginia residents. Anyone that doesn't have a Va. DL will not be subject to those fines. In saying that you know that I will not even try to keep you in sight the next time you blast thru Va. :nervous:

BTW - This thread is getting merged w/the one already started in this board about the new law.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 09:56:23 PM by Fired00d »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 09:54:06 PM »

Unfortunately the Commonwealth of Virginia has decided that those fines will only apply to Virginia residents. Anyone that doesn't have a Va. DL will not be subject to those fines. In saying that you know that I will not even try to keep you in site the next time you blast thru Va. :nervous:

BTW - This thread is getting merged w/the one already started in this board about the new law.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Are you kidding d00d! You probably wouldn't even admit that you know me! ;D ;D ;D Hoist! 8)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 10:01:23 PM »

Are you kidding d00d! You probably wouldn't even admit that you know me! ;D ;D ;D Hoist! 8)
I'm just waiting for this law to get tested in the courts. It seems to be double standards to say the least. They are telling everyone that it's a way of making revenue, and I forgot how many millions it is supposed to help in the budget. If it was really all about money you'd think they would make the fines applicable to everyone, but there is something about the ability to collect it from out of state convictions. It has definitely made me very careful where/when I twist the throttle.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 01:45:01 PM »

I'm just waiting for this law to get tested in the courts. It seems to be double standards to say the least. They are telling everyone that it's a way of making revenue, and I forgot how many millions it is supposed to help in the budget. If it was really all about money you'd think they would make the fines applicable to everyone, but there is something about the ability to collect it from out of state convictions. It has definitely made me very careful where/when I twist the throttle.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
It has to be more then just revenue.  If it was just revenue, why don't they do like most states to and simply raise the sales tax by $.01 and then everyone, including tourists and those just passing through, end up contributing to the state coffers.  I'm sure that this will get challenged in court as being discriminatory.  I'm sure there will be a lot of challenges to this law.

2012 FLHXSE3

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 07:11:52 AM »

For those who wish to contact Delegate David B. Albo R - 42nd District County of Fairfax (part) and let him know how you feel about his Civil Remedial Fees that have been added on to the court costs and fines for traffic violations, he can be reached at:
General Assembly Building
P.O. Box 406
Richmond, Virginia 23218
Phone: (804) 698-1042
Fax: (804) 786-6310
Constituent Viewpoint: (800)-889-0229
Email: DelDAlbo@house.state.va.us
Room Number: 529
Legislative Assistant: Missy Bell/Corry Bliss
Secretary During Session: Deborah Driver

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007, 08:41:17 AM »

There is also an online petition against this new law that can be signed here - Petition To Repeal the VA "Civil Remedial Fees" for Traffic Offenses.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 07:34:45 PM »

dOOd,

Can't help as a VA citizen on the petition, but I sent a nice neighborly note to Delegate David B. Albo R - 42nd District County of Fairfax, and expressed my opinion as an Active Duty Soldier and a backer of his party. Will share the response his office sends.

SOKOOL

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2007, 10:43:31 AM »

Here is a story in the news about rethinking the new law.
Also a link in that story for the petition,it shows so far 72,000 have signed the petition.

http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/stories/wvec_top_071307_driver_fees.6f1a7464.html

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2007, 10:57:56 AM »

dOOd,

Can't help as a VA citizen on the petition, but I sent a nice neighborly note to Delegate David B. Albo R - 42nd District County of Fairfax, and expressed my opinion as an Active Duty Soldier and a backer of his party. Will share the response his office sends.

SOKOOL
Thanks for the support. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2007, 11:00:28 AM »

Thanks for the support. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

No problem Brother, doing what I can

saddlebow

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 06 SEFB
    • CVO2: 07 SEUC [gone]
    • CVO3: 15 SESG
Bikers know why dogs stick their heads out the window....

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2007, 12:49:18 PM »

So far 168,845 people have signed the petition and a Virginia Judge has ruled it Unconstitutional because it doesn't apply to out-of-state drivers. Of course his decision is being appealed.

Story here.
http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=129645&ran=179689&tref=po

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2007, 12:19:20 PM »

Second court has ruled against the law!

Info here:
http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=129725&ran=67449

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2007, 12:07:48 AM »

Well so far the law has been upheld and the governor has said he would go for a change where out-of-state speeders would have to pay too. So far nothing has changed but enforcement has been stepped up in the name of "public safety"
Those comming around the Hampton Roads area for the next few months be careful there will be many motorcycle cops out on the roads "making us safer."
Story and video here.

http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/stories/wvec_local_110707_speeding_project_.1e8f689c4.html

SE08RK

• Banned
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2007, 06:53:28 AM »

It has become the norm for legislators to totally disregard the constitutionality of these enacted laws and then leave the interpretation of them in the lap of some senile judge who wakes up from a snooze on the bench and smacks the gavel. The Constitution is superseded on a regular basis and has been amended out of existence. Logically, what would one of these judges deem fairer about this additional fee? Make everyone pay! These added fees and their enforcement are basically intended for the lawyers' benefit. A lawyer wrote the bill and lawyers passed the bill - seems like a conflict of interest in its purist form. But look what and who run the US government anymore - lawyers. What do they care of a constitution?

I wish to know what happened to the Virginia highway funds already alloted for their maintenance? Gasoline taxes were originally channeled to the highways but even with higher prices per gallon and past added additional gasoline taxes, there needs to be more money to this extent? Just a few years back the highway department officials in VA were caught in the act of using these alloted funds for extravagant trips to foreign countries for weeks at a time being chauffeured in limousines when they got there. This reeks!

The one thing that I 'enjoyed' about the news cast of the Va State Police is that they mount Harley Davidson Motorcycles!

BC 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 06:56:12 AM by SE08RK »

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2007, 05:56:58 PM »

It's really interesting that so many infractions are misdemeanors in VA.  Many of them would be a Civil Infraction here in MI.  I don't know how it works in VA, but in MI a local cop will usually write a ticket based on a "Local Ordinance" rather than a State Vehicle Code law.  That way, the locals get the $$ not the State. 

Michigan is looking for ways to keep the cash coming in so the Gov doesn't have to change any of her spending plans...  Hope an expansion of the already redundant penal system isn't in the works.  (we have a similar "Driver Responsibility Fee" that is imposed for some infractions)

Break-In

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary Edition 513/900
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO3: 1997 FXSTC
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2007, 06:27:42 PM »

Some of the counties are trying to get the new fines thrown out because they only affect Virginia drivers, which is unconstitutional. By the way riding handle bar to handle bar is reckless driving in Virginia. :drink:

SE08RK

• Banned
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2007, 06:47:35 PM »

The law was written in such a way that a local judge has no authority to disregard the "punitive fee", as they call it. When a violation that is within those set forth by this legislation, and the violator has any sort of past record of similar violations, he will receive the appropriate fine and then the mandatory fee - and they have set up a payment plan with interest for these fees to be paid. Not sure whether that is a disregard for the local judges' intellectual abilities to make a judgment by the legislators, or that it is mandatory that these fees are awarded so that a lawyer will be retained to fight the case. That is not a cheap way either - and is my contention that this was the reason for the legislation to start with. And, it was unconstitutional then.

What does a socialist system do when its subjects commit less punishable crimes? Increase the penalty for lessor 'crimes' and make crimes out of otherwise misjudgments by its subjects. That makes a socialistic system appear to be keeping order for those who fee the need for protection from those criminals, which is all of us at any time. We are building more jails and prisons at a rapidly increasing rate and the US society is oblivious to what this really means.... They are next!

I'm sorry that I'm an old man with harsh convictions, but I'm glad that I don't have to watch the US go into the period of anarchy and lawlessness that is coming. It is more likely than 'global warming' to rid the world of a majority of its population.

Again, it's just a rant, but one that more and more people are concluding.

Happy days!

BC

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2007, 01:02:38 PM »

The law was written in such a way that a local judge has no authority to disregard the "punitive fee", as they call it. When a violation that is within those set forth by this legislation, and the violator has any sort of past record of similar violations, he will receive the appropriate fine and then the mandatory fee - and they have set up a payment plan with interest for these fees to be paid. Not sure whether that is a disregard for the local judges' intellectual abilities to make a judgment by the legislators, or that it is mandatory that these fees are awarded so that a lawyer will be retained to fight the case. That is not a cheap way either - and is my contention that this was the reason for the legislation to start with. And, it was unconstitutional then.

What does a socialist system do when its subjects commit less punishable crimes? Increase the penalty for lessor 'crimes' and make crimes out of otherwise misjudgments by its subjects. That makes a socialistic system appear to be keeping order for those who fee the need for protection from those criminals, which is all of us at any time. We are building more jails and prisons at a rapidly increasing rate and the US society is oblivious to what this really means.... They are next!

I'm sorry that I'm an old man with harsh convictions, but I'm glad that I don't have to watch the US go into the period of anarchy and lawlessness that is coming. It is more likely than 'global warming' to rid the world of a majority of its population.Again, it's just a rant, but one that more and more people are concluding.

Happy days!

BC

I totally agree.  Keep your powder dry!

:rifle:
Any day on the bike is a good day.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2007, 08:27:14 PM »

Democrats are now in control of the state house and say they are going to change this legislation.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2007, 11:36:05 AM »

Democrats are now in control of the state house and say they are going to change this legislation.

They are only going to change it so that it includes everyone, not just Virginians.  I'd like to see them collect without having reciprocity with all the states and Canada and Mexico...rather than over-turn an irresponsible law, the "tax and spend" Democrats will just make it more absurd.   :oops:

2012 FLHXSE3

SnakePlisken

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Springer
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2008, 05:31:02 PM »

Hey thanx. I didn't realize this thread was already ongoing. Truly interesting about how this is going to pan out ( although I suppose it already has!) in legislation in the future. I don't speed (much) and obey the laws as far as traffic ones go! But does this pertain to people all over the entire state of VA? I live in NOVA so I can (somewhat) understand this sh*t here. But come on. Doing this over the entire state is indeed going to far. Don't ya think?

- Jim

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2008, 10:44:03 AM »

Hi Jim,
I don't think a locality based system could work since it would leave the city with the task of collecting the fees and they may not have the manpower or assets to chase folks all over the country to get the fees.
The statewide system in theory is to enable the state to get "bad" motorist off of the highway in the entire commonwealth and thus make the whole commonwealth safer. The fees are supposed to fund road improvements which are needed over the entire Commonwealth.
I disagree with some of the offenses on the list being fined so much and the fact that out-of-state drivers are not included as they are with tickets and fines in general.
I also disagree with speed and red light cameras.Since you can NOT offer an on the spot defense and explain your actions which may have been justified at the time. Also with the cameras the registered owner gets the ticket and has to prove it wasn't him/her driving if the vehicle was lent to a family member or friend etc.

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2008, 10:42:04 AM »

Hi Jim,
I don't think a locality based system could work since it would leave the city with the task of collecting the fees and they may not have the manpower or assets to chase folks all over the country to get the fees.
The statewide system in theory is to enable the state to get "bad" motorist off of the highway in the entire commonwealth and thus make the whole commonwealth safer. The fees are supposed to fund road improvements which are needed over the entire Commonwealth.
I disagree with some of the offenses on the list being fined so much and the fact that out-of-state drivers are not included as they are with tickets and fines in general.
I also disagree with speed and red light cameras. Since you can NOT offer an on the spot defense and explain your actions which may have been justified at the time. Also with the cameras the registered owner gets the ticket and has to prove it wasn't him/her driving if the vehicle was lent to a family member or friend etc.
And have you noticed how many more state troopers are out on the road, and aggressively pulling people over. Seldom see a car just crusin down the road.  Almost always see them with some VA tagged person pulled over at the side of the road.  They've got the message that this is a fund raiser.  I have increased my work from home.  High gas costs and extra enforcement, driving on the roads just kinda sucks sometimes.  Don't get me wrong, I do not want to go back to horse and buggy days, but I'd rather see some leniency, as long as everyone is driving the same, let it go.  I-95 is a main thoroughfare, from Maine to Florida.  I have not seen an out of state person pulled over for months.  No matter how hard they are driving. 

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2008, 11:09:50 AM »

Last ticket I got was because someone was 5 feet off my rear bumper, I changed lanes and so did they. Stayed right on my bumper. I accellerated & so did they. When I got to 14 mph over the speed limit, the lights came on. This was at 8:30 at night & the car was unmarked. outcome-horrendous...I am paying civil remedial fees of $2500.00.
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2008, 11:16:43 AM »

Last ticket I got was because someone was 5 feet off my rear bumper, I changed lanes and so did they. Stayed right on my bumper. I accellerated & so did they. When I got to 14 mph over the speed limit, the lights came on. This was at 8:30 at night & the car was unmarked. outcome-horrendous...I am paying civil remedial fees of $2500.00.

Holy crap! You really got screwed there! Is that the game they play there now to collect that ridiculous surcharge to residents? Between that and your other issue, you must really love driving/riding in Va these days. I guess Va isn't for lovers anymore. Not lovers of speed like me, anyway! ::)

Good luck with your issues. :2vrolijk_21:

BTW, great story about how you got your CVO! Sounds like you got a real keeper for sure! ;)

Hoist! 8)

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2008, 11:22:34 AM »

...I guess Va isn't for lovers anymore. Not lovers of speed like me, anyway! ::) ...

Yes, sounds like flyndyna is getting messed with way more than one should.  And the interstate roads are being very heavily monitored around our house, but the back roads ----- the more motorcycle friendly roads, are as always.  And there are a lot of byways here.  Our state has a lot of open land, lots of room between the cities, so there is lots of places to drive ------- not on the highway.  Thank goodness. 

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2008, 11:37:30 AM »

Were you on your bike ?

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2008, 11:37:46 AM »

$2500 for 14 mph over.....DANG!.  That's sounds pretty extreme for speeding.  That sounds more like a careless or reckless ticket.  
All most sounds like the cop knew what he was doing by tail-gating at night.  He probably knew that you would speed up and change lanes to get away from a tail-gater.  I would seriously think about going to court on that one.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2008, 11:48:08 AM »

Sadly, it was a DUI, had 6 drinks from a rare night out with an old friend...

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2008, 11:50:21 AM »

Good news is it is only one year of restriction, then back to my beloved back roads... :apple: :bananarock: NO MORE ELBOW TIPPING OFF PREMISES

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2008, 11:56:52 AM »

Sadly, it was a DUI, had 6 drinks from a rare night out with an old friend...

Oh...as Paul Harvey would say "And Now For The Rest Of The Story"
"Good Day"

Yep, sounds like the cop was trying to provoke drivers when they couldn't tell it was a cop.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2008, 12:31:14 PM »

Not on the bike...wouldn't do it...

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2008, 12:41:03 PM »

Qutoe from GOV KANE-- "Law and fee's were a bad idea!!!!", Law to be overturned and (extra$$$) fines to be refunded as soon as as 07/01/08

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2008, 12:57:06 PM »

Is that a definite? That would be awesome...I'm thinking engine mod's with the refund...

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2008, 12:57:18 PM »

Qutoe from GOV KANE-- "Law and fee's were a bad idea!!!!", Law to be overturned and (extra$$$) fines to be refunded as soon as as 07/01/08
Really?  The gov said bad idea?  Wow, thanks for pointing that out.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2008, 01:03:51 PM »

Yeah, He made that statment to the VA leg when it opened and the VA house will kill it and have for his sig before the session closes

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2008, 01:32:32 PM »

That would be a real first in Virginia legislature, actually admitting to a mistake and correcting it!?!  :oops:

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2008, 01:53:14 PM »

Holy crap! You really got screwed there! Is that the game they play there now to collect that ridiculous surcharge to residents? Between that and your other issue, you must really love driving/riding in Va these days. I guess Va isn't for lovers anymore. Not lovers of speed like me, anyway! ::)

Good luck with your issues. :2vrolijk_21:

BTW, great story about how you got your CVO! Sounds like you got a real keeper for sure! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Thanks a bunch Howie...looking forward to meeting everyone once the "chains that bind" are removed. Pretty bummed that I won't be riding with you guys this spring/summer/fall. She is a really special woman, met her on November 14th 2003. Was out with friends getting ready to leave a restaurant and go jam out when I felt like God had put his hand on my shoulder and said "go to her"...left my friends & went to the place I felt compelled to go to. closser I got, the stronger the feeling got. I walked in, saw her sitting at a table, walked over and took her hand and kissed it and said "you are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, and I just had to tell you that. Now I don't know what else to say, so I bid you goodnight..." I sat down, she walked over to me a few minutes later and said "you can not say that and just walk away"...we talked, danced, and finally kissed at 11:40 pm that Friday night. We got engaged January 23rd 2004, married March 15, 2005 and have been completely blessed and in love since. She felt compelled to go out that night, although she rarely ever goes out. My angel!

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2008, 02:01:13 PM »

After posting and reading this, I felt I should clarify-the "chains that bind" is the restricted license, not the wife! Clear as mud, eh?

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2008, 03:55:31 PM »

... She is a really special woman, met her ... 2003...   ...left my friends & went to the place I felt compelled to go to. closser I got, the stronger the feeling got. ... She felt compelled to go out that night, although she rarely ever goes out. My angel!

You know that life is often a bunch of open doors, and we only have to have enough trust and faith to walk through them.

You both had doors held wide open for you that night, and look where you are today. It is wonderful to hear in this day and age when a couple meet - love at first sight and go for it.  Congratulations.  Still sorry about your law problems.  But, a year can go by fast enough. 

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2008, 05:20:21 PM »

I can really only blame myself for the situation, and I have a newfound insight into why the laws are so strict. Upon going before the magistrate, he said something to me that really struck a chord-I realized that if I stop and have 3-4 beers/drinks and am driving, say something happens-someone runs out in to traffic and I hit them. I will spend the rest of my life thinking it may not have happened if I hadn't been drinking. Lesson learned, so it is an expensive class but I came out of it with something. And you're so right, it is only a year! I can still ride to and from work and to AA meetings and class! My wife has been by my side through the whole thing, telling me how proud of me she is for everything...she's the best!

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2008, 12:42:24 PM »

VA HOUSE VOTED YESTERDAY 98 -2 in favor of bill to repeal this unjust law!!!!!!!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2008, 02:55:27 PM »

It's aboot time politicians actually did something right for once!!!  That was the most rediculous piece of legislation I've every had the displeasure to read. :P

2012 FLHXSE3

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2008, 10:06:46 AM »

Well it looks like the law will be repealed (however) they stripped returning the fees collected and leave it to the Democrats (Fairfax VA) that wants to add additional 5 cents to the GAS TAX over the next five years, proving once again that NO DEMOCRAT can not live without  raising someone's TAXES.

Link to the complete Bloody story:

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=600&sid=1324464

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2008, 06:59:43 PM »

Well that didn't last long...

Kaine Signs Legislation Repealing Abusive Driver Fees

March 27, 2008

(AP) The daunting fees on abusive Virginia drivers is officially a thing of the past. Governor Tim Kaine signed legislation repealing the law Thursday.

The repeal, passed as emergency legislation by the General Assembly earlier this month, took effect immediately upon the governor's signature.

Legislators in both parties clamored to end the fees that usually top $1,000 after Virginia residents last summer angrily protested an exemption from the fees for nonresidents.

Kaine called for its repeal in January after reports that the fees came nowhere close to generating their expected $65 million a year for highway maintenance and highway deaths continued to mount.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2008, 05:22:07 AM »

Well after a very agressive monitoring of the I95 corridor, I was chosen to contibute $200 for going 73 in a 60.  Sucks, big time.  Thank goodness this was repealed.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2008, 08:05:30 AM »

Well after a very agressive monitoring of the I95 corridor, I was chosen to contibute $200 for going 73 in a 60.  Sucks, big time.  Thank goodness this was repealed.

A rolling stop at a Stop sighn in Tn will cost $224.00 . $24.00 is the fine and $200.00 is the court cost.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2008, 10:12:03 AM »

A rolling stop at a Stop sighn in Tn will cost $224.00 . $24.00 is the fine and $200.00 is the court cost.
thanks for the warning, David.  I'm bad for doing just that and it's not how I wish to spend my tokens.  :( har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2008, 05:16:14 PM »

Ouch!!!! :shocked2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 21 queries.