Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vance & Hines fined $500,000 for sales of illegal aftermarket motorcycle exhaust  (Read 4099 times)

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4

As the title says......

http://www.arb.ca.gov/lispub/rss/displaypost.php?pno=6759

This is how it started with test pipes back in the late 80's  Calif went after an instate producer of the cat elimination pipes, got them to cave in, and then the feds piled on.

Since 11/15/1990 it has been a federal crime to remove or disable a catalytic converter.  Applies to repair shops, dealers, parts houses and vehicle owners.  If this snowballs the way test pipes did, it might turn into a real PITA. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

This is almost funny when you think about it.  Both CARB and the EPA have been asleep at the switch for one heck of a long time, since catalysts aren't exactly new to motorcycle exhaust systems.  First they were in the mufflers, and of course none of the aftermarket mufflers had cats in them so they were in fact illegal.  Now that the catalyst is in the headpipe, all those headpipe replacements from V&H, Fuel Moto, Fullsac, etc. are totally illegal as well.  Anyone in the industry who didn't know this has obviously been living under a rock somewhere for a very long time.  And that's just the CO/NOx/HC emissions they're talking about.  Wait until they start looking more closely at the sound emissions.

I doubt the EPA will get involved, since they seem to be predisposed to giving Harley a free pass on all the tampering they and their dealers do.  But CARB is a different kettle of fish as they say.  If I was a California guy I might start getting a bit worried.  When the CARB boys really get a clue about the nonconformity of the average motorcycle in that state, I can see them pushing real hard for annual inspections. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?

CARB Gestapo at it again! Too many agencies trying to make us all 'safer' and compliant.    :beatdeadhorse: :soapbox:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

I got a shipment from D@D today and noticed a sticker on every box that said For closed course racing only  I guess they are trying to CYA

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs

One more reason not to live in California... besides the outrageously high taxes and cost of living!

Sorry. Couldn't resist, mates...

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

I got a shipment from D@D today and noticed a sticker on every box that said For closed course racing only  I guess they are trying to CYA

Most companies have been doing that for decades.  Of course anyone with a tenth of a brain could quickly add up all those "racing use only" parts that are sold every year, and then go out looking for all those racing Harley touring bikes, and quickly realize that even if they use old math instead of the new math, this stuff just doesn't add up.  I'm still waiting for the EPA to hire someone with basic math skills.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Retired rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Copper #1109

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 08

My dealer was warned about a year ago by CARB to stop dyno tuning bikes with Power Comanders and alike aftermarket boxes on costumer bikes. It has virtually turned their dyno booth into a storage closet. I seem to remember though that a bill was passed back in 09 I think that said that CARB would not go retroactive with annual smog inspection on models before 2010. I have not heard that they have started smoging bikes yet but I'm sure its just around the corner with the Democrats having a super majority in the house and Senate. As a matter of fact just recently the private shop that dyno tuned my bike  moved his business to Arizona I heard. Glad my bike is an 2008 but I still have my cat mufflers and I can remove my Power Commander if they change their minds. Thanks for the heads up Jerry.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe

Have never really seen anything like this, the longer I ride my '09 the more valuable it gets. Of course if I want to sell it, its still only worth 30/40% of what I paid not including all the $$$ I have spent on upgrades & custom work. I like the paper value much better  :huepfenlol2:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member

The only thing we have going for us is the fact that the EPA has no enforcement wing, and the states have refused to enforce the existing federal emissions laws.  Unfortunately, it's a matter of time until the states - and eventually the feds - start really cracking down.  My stock mufflers and headpipe are safely resting away in storage, and the mufflers on the bike have an EPA stamp.

I've got a friend in New York that's already seeing motorcycle-only checkpoints.  Stuff's starting to get real, and the motorcycling community is both too small and too fragmented to make a difference.

Damn shame.
The best you've had is the best you know.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max

Will Fullsac be next... I hope not..
Bill

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.