Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Cooling 110's Extreme Heat  (Read 5048 times)

aftaylor

• CVO1: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
Cooling 110's Extreme Heat
« on: May 23, 2011, 10:31:31 AM »

I bought a Road Glide Ultra SE about a month ago.  I had the dealer install a set of V&H monster ovals slip-ons.  I still have the lowers on the bike.  Riding in traffic at Myrtle Beach the bike wanted to die, I believe because of the heat.  Riding back from the beach 3 hours on a day with 90 degree heat you could fry an egg on my right leg jeans.  I know removing the lowers will help a lot.  What else can I do or have the dealer do to get the bike to run a lot cooler?  The dealer is not very sophisticated, so details will be much appreciated.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
Re: Cooling 110's Extreme Heat
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:13:08 AM »

Replace the exhaust with a Fullsac X-Pipe to lose the cat.  I would go with the Fullsac Stage 1 kit to get more power.

http://www.fullsac.com

Charles
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 11:16:44 AM »

Do a search on here for Fullsac.  What you were probably experiencing in traffic, while stopped, was the bike going into it "heat control" mode, where it runs on the front cylinder and the rear one shuts down until you give it throttle to move, then fires back up.  The bike runs very lean from the factory to meet EPA standards.  While the ECM is able to adapt to small changes...perhaps to your V&H Slip On mufflers, it is possible that it made the air/fuel mixture even leaner, which is not a good thing.  IMO, one of the simplest "fixes" for this is to put Fullsac's header pipe on the bike, thus getting rid of the catalytc converter, which is a source of a lot of the heat you're feeling on your leg.  Hopefully, you were not wearing shorts, for a number of reasons.

Fullsac also offers the TTS Mastertune with some "canned" modifications to the air/fuel mixture...there are SEVERAL different products to alter the stock air/fuel mixture...that is really the only way you're going to cool the bike down some.  Even then, you're still sitting on top of an air cooled, big cubic inch engine, so it's still going to be hot in traffic, and IMO, removing the lowers is not going to help in those situations.  There are a brazzilion threads on the various ways to modify the stock exhaust system and the ECM.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 11:17:58 AM »

I see this is your first post. Go to new member introduction to get everybody involved.
Welcome to the site from Sunny Central Forida :orange: :orange: :orange:

As far as the heat goes, Enjoy your fried eggs!!!!!

I changed my exhaust and got synthetic oil . It helped but I guess I could still get some pancakes done on my jeans in a hot daytona beach day!!!!

aftaylor

• CVO1: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 11:27:50 AM »

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll take the advice and repost in the new member section.  I failed to mention that the dealer installed a Dynojet Power Commander V as well.

5.56mm

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 BLK #919
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 03:59:05 AM »

I bought a Road Glide Ultra SE about a month ago.  I had the dealer install a set of V&H monster ovals slip-ons.  I still have the lowers on the bike.  Riding in traffic at Myrtle Beach the bike wanted to die, I believe because of the heat.  Riding back from the beach 3 hours on a day with 90 degree heat you could fry an egg on my right leg jeans.  I know removing the lowers will help a lot.  What else can I do or have the dealer do to get the bike to run a lot cooler?  The dealer is not very sophisticated, so details will be much appreciated.

Ride faster!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 10:07:16 AM »

Put the V&H Power Duals on, or have the CAT removed from the collector on the stock headers.  I have the Power Duals on the SESG and had the CAT removed on the SERGU, retuned, got the AFR dropped to 13.7 and they both run cooler.  I don't take the lowers off of the SERGU.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Jerry/MD

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 11:31:26 AM »

Get rid of the CAT!!! I had the same issue with my bike. Thought my right leg was gonna fry! I went with the Fullsac X-pipe. Made a HUGE difference.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 11:41:25 AM »

I just removed my lowers to see. I can say you get more wind while riding and while stopped the heat seems to get away from the motor enough to make some difference. With the lowers on and stopped the hot air just stays trapped around the motor.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 06:22:50 PM »

Get rid of the CAT!!! I had the same issue with my bike. Thought my right leg was gonna fry! I went with the Fullsac X-pipe. Made a HUGE difference.

For those riding "Up North" removing the CAT might alone do the job. I found that switching over to the FullSac X-Pipe B was not enough to get rid of the heat. I had to have the rear portion of the X-Pipe wrapped with an insulator (don't know what brand the dealer used). I also try to remember to run with the louvers on my lowers open. Every little bit adds up in the heat removal equation.

Good Luck!

Chris4444

• CVO1: 07 cvo ultra blue / sold
    • CVO2: 08 cvo ulta duracell / sold
    • CVO3: 2011 cvo road glide ultra
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 12:57:10 PM »

rode back from Scotland last weekend , cold wind and rain, no engine heat problems at all , a steady supply of cold water on the oil cooler sorts it .

icufltrn

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 fltruse
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 04:01:44 PM »

I took the doors/louvers out of the lowers. This helps a lot with moving the air so it is cooler when moving. I also have the fullsac and Steve's map installed.

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 09:13:48 PM »

Wow I listen to heat issues and I feel for you . I just hate riding when it's hot and lots of traffic now. I removed the cvo headers, and put the stock headers from a ultra, got them powder coated, and run the full sac options. My Soilders in my seeds are always getting cooked. So with all the steps I tooked to cool this bike down, and I still hate the heat, I can't imagine what you guys are feeling.

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Chrome O

• 2009 SEUC Ruby Red
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 10:14:57 PM »

Get the Fulsac and wrap the new header pipes with heat wrap tape.  Do his 110 package and you'll make 110 tq and about the HP.
What ever you think   ----your right---

GeorgeP77

• 2013 FLHTCSE8
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »

I have done the Fullsac x-pipe and all the tuning and still was getting killed by the heat.
I wrapped the pipes in header tape and put the covers back over it. It doesn't show if you use white tape.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.