Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Check Engine Light  (Read 5519 times)

B.A.

• Full CVO Member
No Check Engine Light
« on: August 26, 2011, 10:30:36 AM »

Often, when I turn the ignition switch to the "ON" postion the CK ENG light does not come on, fuel pump does not run etc etc.  It seems to happen more when the bike is hot.  But, having said that, this morning on my way into work I stopped for fuel 8 miles from home and the temp was probably 60*.  After fueling, when I turned the ignition on, no light.  Cycled it again, no light. 

When it does this, not surprisingly, I guess, it cranks for quite some time before starting.  Once it does start it seems to run normally.

It's been to a dealer.  Walters Bros in Peoria, IL did a nice job fixing quite a number of warranty "issues".  They couldn't "catch it" doing the check engine light thing.

What do you think is the cause??

BTW, I've cycled the kill switch half a dozen times.  No joy.  And, I've NEVER seen it do this when the bike is dead cold.

Any help?

Thanks

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
Re: No Check Engine Light
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 10:35:26 AM »

What year and model of bike?

does it have a security system?

for some reason, I want to believe this could be a security issue.

My bike will not let you fire up the fuel pump without the FOB

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

B.A.

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 12:24:11 PM »

DUH!  2011 FLTRUSE  CVO Ultra.

You probably know now that YES it's got a security system.  And, the "proximity" key fob.  Don't tell me all I need is a new battery in the fob!  ;D

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 01:57:04 PM »

The bike will not start till the fuel pump ramps up and the ECM tells the pump to turn on.

I have no idea if the security has anything to do with it, but My one fob will not let me start my

bike intermittantly. I am sure it needs a battery, but I have just used the other FOB for now.

I know that it is the security on mine, becuase I have the alarm to sound if you try to start withouit FOB.

That can be changed (programmed).

Try starting without FOB present and see if it acts the same.

A long shot.....

« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 02:00:17 PM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

B.A.

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 02:16:57 PM »

My shop is about 100 yards from my house.  I've been known to go over there, throw a leg over, turn on the ignition, only to hear the security system going crazy!!!  So, I don't think that's it.

It may be.  I"ll keep looking.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 04:10:43 PM »

B.A., I have the same bike and noticed the same thing. I do think it is by design.  With over 13k on it there has been no problem.  What I notice is that it seems to be related to time - how long the ignition has been off since it was shut down.  Short times like refueling, etc, the check engine light does not come on.  Longer stops and it may come on when ignition/run switch energized.

Don't worry about it.  I don't think it is a problem.  :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

B.A.

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 10:08:14 PM »

Hmmmm.  Well the thought crossed my mind.  Tonight I rode about 120 miles.  The ck eng light "failed" at my only stop.  But, you're right, the bike was not off very long at all.  If it's normal, however, I think the bike ought to start better.

But hey, it's on record with a dealer.  So even if this thing cause serious problems I'm going to assume it will be covered.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 10:35:35 PM »

Hmmmm.  Well the thought crossed my mind.  Tonight I rode about 120 miles.  The ck eng light "failed" at my only stop.  But, you're right, the bike was not off very long at all.  If it's normal, however, I think the bike ought to start better.

But hey, it's on record with a dealer.  So even if this thing cause serious problems I'm going to assume it will be covered.
Well, I have had no problem at all with starting.  So I don't know if or how it may be related to the check engine light coming on.  :nixweiss:

IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 08:54:45 AM »

I might go along with the idea of the ECM purposely not running the initialization cycle and turning on the check engine light if you were talking about just turning the bike off and right back on, but definitely not if you were shutting down long enough to fill up the fuel tank.  Something about the whole thing doesn't sound right.

Do any of the other warning lights fail to come on when you turn on the ignition, like the ABS indicator or security indicator, or is this strictly the check engine light?  I think it would be worth a call to H-D, assuming you can find someone knowledgeable to talk to.  I've never seen that sort of behavior on any other vehicle, and can't for the life of me figure why anyone at H-D would purposely set it up that way.  And here's the clincher:  if it was supposed to do that then it should do it all the time, not just occasionally.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 10:31:11 AM »

Pardon the stupid question/suggestion.  But is there a chance it's simply a display/illumination issue?  Obviously if it was a display issue and an intermittent problem in the speedo itself you wouldn't and couldn't know that.  But a high sun behind you might make it occasionally hard to see whether it's lit up or not.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 02:43:18 PM »

I can only speak for myself but it is not due to illumination/bright sun, etc. Sometimes it does not illuminate.  All other indicators illuminate as normal, and no DTCs.   :nixweiss:

IBA member # 45520

B.A.

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 07:58:30 PM »

Jerry,  I tend to agree.  Know way this is normal is my opinion.  An observation is that Harley techs have the largest egos on earth.  Iffin' they don't know, they CANNOT bring themselves to say it.

In case you didn't figure it out, I'm old!  So, it took me forever to get used to a motorcycle "booting up"  Consequently, I'll shade the nacelle with my hand to make sure it's cycling.  I realize one of y'all were talking about illumunation failure.  I highly doubt it because it's soooo hard starting when the light does not come on.  I have owned Harleys that are harder to start warm than cold but not an EFI bike.

IDK.  If anyone can find out from a dealer, mechaninc, tech. or anyone else if it's normal I'd sure like to know.

OH, ABS light is on.  Security light (red key) is on.  I will say that the red key security light seemed to stay on longer than usual the other night.

Worked on a couple "projects" around the ranch here today.  Never moved the bike.  Again, if anyone has a clue I surely would appreciate it.  I don't even have a manual for this thing yet.  I usually cheat and use my '01 manual for mechanical crap.  Obviously, even though I have complete electrical manuals for the '01, things have changed significantly.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 07:18:05 PM »

Hurricane subsided, now it is bright and sunny.

Took a ride and found out my check engine light does not come on
If you just turn off everything for a short period of time.

I did not find out how long it has to be off,
but I think it my have to do with fuel pressure.

If the check engine light does not come on,
 I do not hear the fuel pump ramp up.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:20:17 PM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3

B.A.

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 07:28:22 PM »

Good to know!!  THANKS!!

Yeah, like I said in the initial post, do not hear fuel pump.  It makes some sense, I guess.  My '01 has a "return" fuel line that, I think, would bleed off the pressure.  The check ball o-ring came off once and plugged it.  Interesting results happen at almost 100 lbs fuel pressure.  :huepfenlol2:

Anyways,  thanks again.  Owe ya' one. 

BTW, glad you got rid of Irene...

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.