Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drive belt  (Read 3115 times)

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
Drive belt
« on: November 06, 2023, 03:29:12 PM »

Just wanted to check with the brain trust here and see if there is a better option for a replacement drive belt that that stock one from mother Harley? Thanks in advance!
T-MAN 117 kit

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Drive belt
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 07:13:21 PM »

The stock belts run for a long long time unless they've picked up some damage.  The few aftermarket options can't say the same (at least in my experience).

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 10:09:50 AM »

Just wanted to check with the brain trust here and see if there is a better option for a replacement drive belt that that stock one from mother Harley? Thanks in advance!

I've not got previous belt history but I can say I'm still running with the HD belt that came on my 07 ultra and its still in good shape

if you keep up the correct tension/ maintenance of it the cost of the HD belt is worth the price.

One of the biggest problems that can contribute to belt failure ( other then something foreign damaging it) is when the rear tire is changed at a shop and they don't tension the deflection correctly mainly too loose the belt can snap under load to tight will cause another issues.

So really no mater what belt you go with if its not set to correct deflection tension and running true  it won't last.

There's guys that have got as much as a hundred thousand miles on there belts and still going

Is there a particular reason you're asking?

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 11:19:02 AM »

I can say I'm still running with the HD belt that came on my 07 ultra and its still in good shape.

How many miles do you have on it?  I have 110k on my '06 CVO Ultra and was wondering if it was time for a swap.  I'd hate to be stranded out in the middle of nowhere with a broken belt.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 06:14:59 PM »

How many miles do you have on it?  I have 110k on my '06 CVO Ultra and was wondering if it was time for a swap.  I'd hate to be stranded out in the middle of nowhere with a broken belt.

No where near your milage.

It goes to show you must maintain yours to have that milage.  As for swapping it if the belt is in good shape (no visible cracking or other signs of figteg) you should not have any problems. When inspection of the belt be sure there's no foreign material embedded in the belt.

Belts are measured on a hr running scale it being 50/100 or 500,000 hrs in a controlled environment there running in. So our Belts do need regular inspection  to stay trouble free under the circumstances in which the belts are running.

Here's a belt check link

« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 06:30:08 PM by longlast »

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 11:09:27 AM »

I've not got previous belt history but I can say I'm still running with the HD belt that came on my 07 ultra and its still in good shape

if you keep up the correct tension/ maintenance of it the cost of the HD belt is worth the price.

One of the biggest problems that can contribute to belt failure ( other then something foreign damaging it) is when the rear tire is changed at a shop and they don't tension the deflection correctly mainly too loose the belt can snap under load to tight will cause another issues.

So really no mater what belt you go with if its not set to correct deflection tension and running true  it won't last.

There's guys that have got as much as a hundred thousand miles on there belts and still going

Is there a particular reason you're asking?
I somehow stripped about 10 teeth off in one spot. Full disclosure, I have 130/135 built 117 and aint afraid to use it!  ;D I am giving a new belt one more chance and then it will be a chain conversion.
T-MAN 117 kit

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 02:12:26 PM »

I somehow stripped about 10 teeth off in one spot. Full disclosure, I have 130/135 built 117 and aint afraid to use it!  ;D I am giving a new belt one more chance and then it will be a chain conversion.

Having about 10 cogs stripped off I'd say that happened at the transmission pulley.

Make a good check on both the transmission cogs and the rear wheel belt pulley. If they're all good check the old belt for damage as described in the link (Drive Belt Check)

Be sure the Deflection of the belt is correct for your bike. If you have a manual it'll be in there.

Here's a chart it may cover yours shouldn't think the years would make any difference.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 02:16:03 PM by longlast »

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 21 queries.