Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil Levels  (Read 3751 times)

vboxmark

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

Oil Levels
« on: June 15, 2015, 05:40:05 PM »

I just purchased a 2009 SE Ultra, one of the mods is the front wheel was changed to a 21".  Hence the bike sits about 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 higher in the front then stock. 

So I do my first oil change this weekend, motor/tranny & Primary.  I put in the recommended levels
Motor start out with 3.5 quarters
Trans - 1 quart
Primary - 38 oz but could only get about 37 oz in before is started coming out the top

Checked the levels and they are all high. So that's when I realized that the front was higher and maybe causing the levels to appear high on the dip sticks and overflowing the primary a little when filling.

So anyone have any suggestions on what level I should run at because if the front is higher does it need the same amount of oil or less.  If the same amount as a level bike then the dip stick will always show high.

Or maybe I should do  my oil changes on a jack to level the bike. 

This is my first Harley so any help would be appreciated, I love the bike, just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Thank you

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Oil Levels
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 06:45:49 PM »

I just purchased a 2009 SE Ultra, one of the mods is the front wheel was changed to a 21".  Hence the bike sits about 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 higher in the front then stock. 

So I do my first oil change this weekend, motor/tranny & Primary.  I put in the recommended levels
Motor start out with 3.5 quarters
Trans - 1 quart
Primary - 38 oz but could only get about 37 oz in before is started coming out the top

Checked the levels and they are all high. So that's when I realized that the front was higher and maybe causing the levels to appear high on the dip sticks and overflowing the primary a little when filling.

So anyone have any suggestions on what level I should run at because if the front is higher does it need the same amount of oil or less.  If the same amount as a level bike then the dip stick will always show high.

Or maybe I should do  my oil changes on a jack to level the bike. 

This is my first Harley so any help would be appreciated, I love the bike, just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Thank you

First, what may also be happening is that the oil isn't draining completely due to the angle change.  The engine oil drain is located at the front of the oil pan for instance, and the primary drain is also forward of the clutch.

What I'd do is drain and then fill all the fluids with the bike sitting level on a jack or lift.  Note exactly where the fluid levels are on the dipsticks, and check the primary fluid and only fill until it touches the bottom of the clutch spring.  Button up the primary and then lower the bike to the floor and check the engine and trans levels again, once more noting exactly where those levels are on the dipsticks.  I think you will find the engine oil level will be higher due to the location of the dipstick at the rear of the pan, but the trans level may not change much at all.  Anyway, once you know exactly how much higher the fluid levels measure on the dipsticks, you will be able to adjust accordingly when checking with the bike sitting on the ground.  Btw, many of us purposely run the engine oil about a pint low to help avoid oil carryover into the air cleaner

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

akodust

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »

I don't know how far you are away from the dealer but, I was not sure of the level of my oil and went to the dealer and had them check the oil and let me know if it was ok. Then I was sure about it. :2vrolijk_21:
Been riding for over 40 Years.
16 CVO Limited-Bought 9/16.
16 Vrod-Sold
09 CVO Ultra-Sold***09 Ultra-Root Beer-Sold
07 Electra Glide Standard***05 Heritage-Sold
05 Heritage

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 07:29:31 AM »

I agree with Jerry...
Bill

krautdoggie

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 05:11:42 PM »

simple, put a 1 3/4" to 2 1/4" board under the back tire  :nixweiss:

Rumblerider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 08:55:44 PM »

First, what may also be happening is that the oil isn't draining completely due to the angle change.  The engine oil drain is located at the front of the oil pan for instance, and the primary drain is also forward of the clutch.

What I'd do is drain and then fill all the fluids with the bike sitting level on a jack or lift.  Note exactly where the fluid levels are on the dipsticks, and check the primary fluid and only fill until it touches the bottom of the clutch spring.  Button up the primary and then lower the bike to the floor and check the engine and trans levels again, once more noting exactly where those levels are on the dipsticks.  I think you will find the engine oil level will be higher due to the location of the dipstick at the rear of the pan, but the trans level may not change much at all.  Anyway, once you know exactly how much higher the fluid levels measure on the dipsticks, you will be able to adjust accordingly when checking with the bike sitting on the ground.  Btw, many of us purposely run the engine oil about a pint low to help avoid oil carryover into the air cleaner

Jerry

Hey Jerry,

When you say fill the primary until it touches the bottom of the clutch spring, I am confused.  I've been filling to the bottom of the clutch stack and when the oil touches the bottom of the plates I stop.  Am I filling my primary to the proper level?  I have the bike on a jack sitting level when I do this.

Thanks!
V&H Power Duals with Monster Ovals, SERT, GMR Performance Dyno Tune, Custom Dynamics Brake Light & Rear Turn Signals,  Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz for Front Signals, H-D DayMaker Head Lights and Aux Lights, and of course the Custom Billet Works "Screamin Eagle" on the Tour Pack!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 09:44:39 PM »

Hey Jerry,

When you say fill the primary until it touches the bottom of the clutch spring, I am confused.  I've been filling to the bottom of the clutch stack and when the oil touches the bottom of the plates I stop.  Am I filling my primary to the proper level?  I have the bike on a jack sitting level when I do this.

Thanks!

Since too much oil creates clutch drag, slightly less is better than too much.  Harley recommended the bottom of the clutch spring for ages, but as time goes by recommendations can change.  And btw, the late model A&S clutches don't use a diaphragm spring so that old method wouldn't work anyway.  I think just touching the bottom of the plates is fine. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rumblerider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 11:07:02 PM »

Great!

Thanks So Much Jerry!
V&H Power Duals with Monster Ovals, SERT, GMR Performance Dyno Tune, Custom Dynamics Brake Light & Rear Turn Signals,  Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz for Front Signals, H-D DayMaker Head Lights and Aux Lights, and of course the Custom Billet Works "Screamin Eagle" on the Tour Pack!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 11:11:42 PM »

If you don't have a lift or jack, how bout a proper thickness board under the rear tire? This seems to be something that is very simple to correct. Also did you check the levels when you purchased it? How did they compare with your refill levels?

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 20 queries.