Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Cruise, radio and 6th gear lamp all go off  (Read 7505 times)

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
Cruise, radio and 6th gear lamp all go off
« on: September 21, 2015, 05:47:52 PM »

Riding back from NC and this has happened five times. 2012 (FLHTCUSE7)

Cruise is set and listening to the radio. All is fine and then cruise disengages and there is no cruise light at all. About 3 seconds later the the 6th gear lamp goes off and the radio quits at the same time. The radio screen is totally blank as if no power. 10 to 15 seconds later radio starts up as if just being turned on, 6th gear lamp back on, cruise lamp back on red and check engine lamp on for a few seconds. No other indications of a problem.

Can't really be a fuse since things come back on and I think these things are fused separately anyway. Recently the dealer did a 25k service and also ordered new heated grips since they quit working. So they were poking around things.

I don't think these things have a commom power source or are run from a common module. (but I'm not sure either) Any ideas on what's going on?
2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
2006 FLHTCUSE (traded in)
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
Re: Cruise, radio and 6th gear lamp all go off
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 10:13:27 PM »

Did you check to see if it logged a trouble code?

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 07:42:35 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a check engine light on and I don't know how to check for any codes. Seems like there is a way to look for codes but I don't know the process. Something to do with turning the ignition on and off?

Thanks!

Greg
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 08:44:33 AM »

Click on the attached file for the instructions for checking the Diagnostic Trouble Codes.  You mentioned the check engine light coming on briefly; when that happens the system normally sets a code that's stored even though the intermittent fault seemingly self corrected.

The first thing you need to check is the basics, like the battery cable connection to the battery.  If slightly loose or corroded, you can get all sorts of strange electrical behavior.  Check the codes and let us know what you find.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 06:42:41 PM »

Not knowing how, is no longer an acceptable answer. GOOGLE is the answer. My washing machine quit agitating last week, Google/Youtube had every possible scenario and how to correct that scenario with a video. I had it fixed in less than an hour for $3.82 and I had never worked on a front loader in my life prior to this.

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 09:36:34 PM »

OK, report time. First, I used the CVO version of Google, CVOHARLEY.COM. And it worked. Google recently did save me a lot of time and money when I needed to fix a problem with the grandsons car. One cylinder wasn't firing and found an ignition coil bad on one of the cylinders. Thanks Google.

As for my problem. Thanks Jerry for the link to the Diagnostic Trouble Codes and how to read them!! Got home this afternoon and was able look for trouble codes. Several codes are recorded and ALL point to an over voltage condition. I'm going to pull the seat tomorrow and check the battery cables. I can see where a loose connection would let the voltage spike without the battery as a load and cause the over voltage condition. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again Jerry!!

Greg
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 05:52:57 PM »

Got to the battery and the connections looked good, clean and tight. To be sure I removed both cables and cleaned the terminals and lugs then treated with a contact cleaner. I checked the ground cable to the engine and that appeared clean and tight. Checked all other connections I could find from the battery and they all look good.

Looks like I'll let the dealer take it from here. It's going in to have the heated grips replaced anyway. Hopefully they will find the problem.

Thanks for the help!

Greg
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »

If you really had an intermittent over voltage situation, I seem to remember a voltage regulator recall for the 2012 models, and regulator problems that also occurred with bikes that weren't recalled.  That's one possibility. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 08:02:28 PM »

As I remember it was outside the recall for the regulator. That sure could be the problem. I put a good Fluke DVM on the battery and got 14.25v with the engine running at fast idle. It had been on the tender so that seems in specs. Since the problem is intermittent I would guess if it's the regulator it would be an intermittent problem as well.

It will be interesting to see how the dealer handles it. I'm glad there are codes stored. Waiting for the replacement heated grips to come in before I take it in.

Thanks

Greg
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 11:20:12 AM »

I just had the L-burg dealer r&r the voltage reg on my 12 ultra at the beginning of summer. of course I had to call MoCo to get a reference #, as they didn't want to do it.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 11:41:34 AM »

I'm betting it's the regulator on mine as well. Just found out yesterday, after calling the dealer, they missed getting the heated grips ordered. Been over three weeks so they ordered them yesterday. Guess I'll be checking more often now to see if they have arrived. I'll have them address the voltage problem at the same time so it will be a bit before I find the true problem.....

Thanks

Greg
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 09:32:44 PM »

I had my original  voltage reg replaced under warrantee.  That lasted 5k miles.   I had to do it all over again a few months ago.  It went bad slowly,,  the radio would go out. Then come back on,,,the the lights wouldn't work properly,,, finally it went out totally and the gauge was all over the place.  I'm betting that you need a new one,,,  fixed all my issues,,,  good luck.  Let us know how you made out.    I was able to get mine replace under the extended warrantee,,,  it was work ,, my dealer wasn't happy to replace it,, but when I threatened that I would tell everyone I knew what I thought of them,,, and I was going to be their closest competitors best salesman,, they changed it out.   Stuart.

OakleyFreak

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Amber/Citrus
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 09:48:41 AM »

Are you running any type of aftermarket tuner?
I know that the Dyno Jet will cause issues if the Diag Port is enabled

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 09:35:59 PM »

So the replacement grip finally comes in and I took the bike in for that to be installed. I had them look at the mystery problem and here's what they came up with. They say they think the grip that was dead was causing all the other problems, including the over voltage codes stored. So I said no way. I'm not totally stupid and I asked them to explain how that could be. They had no explanation other than that's all they could think of.

Asked about the voltage regulator and they just don't want to go anywhere with that. So after arguing for a bit and pointing out the the grip theory is bogus I gave up and said I will be back when it fails again. Impression is and has been with this dealer they are not too bright when it comes to diagnostics.  :soapbox:

I'm sure there will be an update coming on this one.

Thanks again for all the input!

Greg
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 09:50:25 PM »

So here's the rest of the story. Been riding a bit for about a month after our winter and the problem showed up again. All the same over voltage codes as before. So took it to the dealer and left it for a couple days. Finally they came to the conclusion the voltage regulator was bad. Replaced it and so far it's good. Sure wasn't a heated grip problem.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Later

Greg
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.