Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 2034 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Tyres
« on: March 26, 2023, 08:35:12 AM »

Pic is just for reference,...

I've put a set of these tyres on the bike.  I've only done about 70 odd miles on them .

I'm wondering if anyone has fitted them and what's your impression of them ?

So far they feel good on the road and hug in on our roundabouts (THAT WE HAVE PLENTY OF)  haven't been in any wet weather as yet.  :nixweiss:  :drink:

Cheers be safe,...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 11:31:47 AM »

Hey Pete.  Your roundabouts have been exported to the states.  Even here in the midwest and close to my house I'm littered with those things.  I suppose they are someone's good idea.  I don't hate them.  Though people look at me funny when I go around four or five times while making "wheeeee" sounds...

Ok got distracted, this was about tires (sorry, tyres).  Avon has been around for a long long time.  I have not used the specific model you're asking about now but I've got their immediate predecessor mounted on my Road King and my FXR. 

Michelin Commanders on the Road Glide for adequate handling, rain grip and (hopefully) longer life.  At least that's what I tell myself.  But where I didn't care about mileage and just wanted something (hopefully) a little stickier my go-to has been the Avons.  What you're using now is what I'll replace my current set with when it is that time probably next year.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 07:15:04 PM »

Hey Pete.  Your roundabouts have been exported to the states.  Even here in the midwest and close to my house I'm littered with those things.  I suppose they are someone's good idea.  I don't hate them.  Though people look at me funny when I go around four or five times while making "wheeeee" sounds...

Ok got distracted, this was about tires (sorry, tyres).  Avon has been around for a long long time.  I have not used the specific model you're asking about now but I've got their immediate predecessor mounted on my Road King and my FXR. 

Michelin Commanders on the Road Glide for adequate handling, rain grip and (hopefully) longer life.  At least that's what I tell myself.  But where I didn't care about mileage and just wanted something (hopefully) a little stickier my go-to has been the Avons.  What you're using now is what I'll replace my current set with when it is that time probably next year.

Hi Don, Didn't realise you had roundabouts, you've got the same problem there as here then (you ride on the right a wear your rubber off on the left,..as we ride on the left and wear our rubber off on the right).  :D

I had Michelin commander ll's on and when I was giving the bike the big check over (in my thread, bike drifting to the left) I found because of the roundabouts that the right of the crown of the tyres (tires) were worn substantially more then the left side of the tyres,..especially the front.
By my records I keep the Michelin's gave me 19,916 miles and they've still got good tread but upgraded everything to sort out the drifting issue. I was thinking maybe the uneven wear could contribute to the problem.  I may put the Michelin's back on just to see if the wear had anything too do with the issue.
All in all though good mileage,...

Back to the Avons. It turns out since the 1890s Avons have been made in England 🇬🇧. I'll see just how well these hold up. I'm not expecting to get 20k out of them but we'll see.
The main reason I switched (because I did like like the Michelin's)  was the cost the Michelin's have near dubbled in price and the Avons are roughly the cost that the Michelin's were before they jacked up their  price.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 08:38:00 PM »

Hadn't had a reason to check prices on the Michelins for awhile.  Road Glide will probably get tires this fall or next spring so maybe I don't want to know!

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 08:54:52 PM »

I had Avon tires put on my 03 RKC years ago, they did well for me.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 04:18:50 AM »

I had Avon tires put on my 03 RKC years ago, they did well for me.

:2vrolijk_21:  I hope they do the same for me. Like I mentioned, I keep track of the mileage on the tyres and if it's to low I'll go back too the Michelin's even if it means I've got to cough up the extra $$$ in my case £££.

Cheers  :drink:  :drink:

GKroadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: CVO Road King 2014 (FLHRSE6) sold
    • CVO2: CVO Street Glide 2021 (FLHXSE)
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 05:58:29 AM »

Hi Pete,

I got the same Avon Cobra Chrome for my FLHRSE. So far, however, they are still in the garage, waiting to be assembled and used.

I originally wanted to buy the Metzeler Cruisetec, but they were only available to a limited extent and were exorbitantly expensive.
I then decided after the experiences in a German Harley forum for the Cobras.

So I'm curious how your experience with it will be.  8)

Roundabouts are becoming more and more common in Germany and are often used to test lean angles  ;D
CVO Street Glide 2021
FLHXSE
Sunset Orange & Sunset Black Fade
Jekill & Hyde Exhaust
http://jekillandhyde.com/en_US/our-technique
131cui

spence

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2020 CVO Limited
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 06:37:48 AM »

I used to run Avon Cobras and prefer those over Dunlop and Michelin.  I run dunlop now only because of the way the TPMS reads, with Avon my tire pressure would always show as High on the display because Avon pressure is higher and even though I manually check my tires before each ride my OCD wont allow me to handle seeing High in the display.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2023, 10:18:45 AM »

I used to run Avon Cobras and prefer those over Dunlop and Michelin.  I run dunlop now only because of the way the TPMS reads, with Avon my tire pressure would always show as High on the display because Avon pressure is higher and even though I manually check my tires before each ride my OCD wont allow me to handle seeing High in the display.

A PDF on tyre pressures

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2023, 08:10:04 PM »

I’ve run the Avon cobras before without any problems. I liked them. But I like to try all kinds of tires. Right now I’m running the Dunlop elite. That is also a good tire.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 07:42:23 AM »

I do like the Michelin's and they do hold up to the high mileage I don't know of any other brand of tyre that you can get as much as 24k out of.
I got 19,910 miles from my set and would have gotten more if not for these  roundabouts

I haven't seen any (may have overlooked it) mileage expectancy on these Avons

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.