Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Run/Stop switch intermittent power  (Read 1457 times)

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
Run/Stop switch intermittent power
« on: April 01, 2023, 04:00:59 PM »

I have a '15 FLTRUSE (CVO RG Ultra) and had not started the bike in a couple of months.   It has a new battery and has been on a float charger.

When I flip the Run/Stop switch to Run, I don't get power to the bike about 50% of the times.  I have to cycle the switch sometimes 5-10 times before the bike will power on.

If I hold the odometer reset switch down (with the Run/Stop switch OFF) for 5 seconds, the Radio come on nice and loud.  1/2 the time, I can't use the run/stop switch to turn the power off, but eventually after enough cycles it will work.

The battery has a full charge (tested with DVM) and I have check the connections at the battery and at the run/stop switch.

When the switch powers the bike on, the lights are bright and the engine starts perfectly.   I can drive the bike without any issues.  It is a little concerning that it may not start if I turn it off.

I have the service manual, but it doesn't really help diagnosing this issue.

I noticed in another post somewhere that someone had a similar issue and found the wire at the starter was loose.  He stated that all power from the battery goes to the start 1st and that was his issue.   I just found that post so I haven't check that yet (the bike is now hot from riding) but will check later this afternoon.   I can't image I could start the bike (heavy current draw) if the wire was loose, but who knows.....

Sort of lost where to go from here.   Is there a "main" power relay somewhere that I need to check?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 04:21:21 PM by zigzag930 »

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: Run/Stop switch intermittent power
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 09:33:12 PM »

I would look at the main power relay for contact corrosion as well as all fuses and all relays.
Check the connector to the switch for corrosion also.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 03:08:47 AM »

I had the same bike which had a faulty Run Stop switch. I recall at the time hearing that there had been a whole batch of bad switches. It's not hard to swap out to determine if that is your issue.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 09:03:31 AM »

Do remember the on / off switch was replaced in the spring of 2016 on my 2015  bike.
Let us know if that takes care of your issue.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 09:13:20 AM »

I did pull the wire from the back of the switch.  This is interesting.  There are two wires on the "wire side" that appear to have contacts one over the other.   When I look inside the plug on the switch the two contacts are side by side.   I was planning to jump them switch, but apparently it doesn't work that way (like a normal switch) because that didn't work.  The connector is perfectly clean, no corrosion, etc.

Today, I will look at the starter wires and main relay.  If that doesn't fix this problem, I may try replacing the switch next. 

Curious - Is the run stop switch individual or part of a switch assembly where all the switches on that little board get changed?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2023, 09:30:19 AM »

Have the bars been changed?

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2023, 09:53:50 AM »

Bars are stock.   No recent changes to the bike.   

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 10:22:23 AM »

the right switch pack was replaced on my 16 RGU before i took delivery. dont know why, but remember. there was an issue with some of them back in the day    :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 11:39:30 AM »

Ok, this is somewhat embarrassing - but I think I have narrowed the problem down to a 2032 watch battery in the remote FOB having only 2.8vdc.

The FOB was able to open and lock the bike when close by, but not from any distance so I thought maybe I'd just try changing the security FOB battery to see if that could possibly have anything to do with this issue.

Run/Stop switch has now functioned about 15 times without any problems, but will need to report back on longer term success of this fix.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.   

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.