Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: M8 transmission breather kit  (Read 2108 times)

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
M8 transmission breather kit
« on: June 30, 2023, 04:30:38 AM »

My Harley FLHTK, is suffering oil migration from g/box into primary chain case. The dealer says that is not covered by my extended warranty. He says I need a breather kit fitting at a cost of £400 or thereabouts. I intend to do this myself, are there options available, if so which is the best. Your advice would be much appreciated.
Regards
JohnT

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
Re: M8 transmission breather kit
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 06:51:59 AM »

I would recommend the vent kit from Harley Davidson, I know there are other fixes out there, but this one worked on my bike, I noticed mine had transferred 8 OZ at the first oil change, took it to dealer and they installed the vent kit under warranty, I'm assuming your bike is older than 2 years. It doesn't look very difficult to do, lots of videos on it.

Good luck
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 08:44:36 AM »

The HD kit was installed on my 2019 cvo as soon as they rolled it out.

Mine also had major transfer since new. The dealer was just following HD’s procedure
Unfortunately the damage was already done to my trans and it broke just after the 2 yr warranty was over so HD would not cover the damage.

Do the kit yourself, it’s not that difficult. The kit is $$$$ but includes gasket and good instructions.

JMHO
HOGMIKE

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 12:48:34 PM »

2 cent hose with instructions / template and gaskets (which if are in good condition are not needed) $50 bucks.  At least that what I paid.  Makes you love HD for making us pay for a known issue and mod they installed on newer bikes.  You could do this mod without this kit but the 2 cent pre-formed hose has a backing and fits properly in the hole (if you drill it right). 
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 12:50:41 PM »

More pics

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2023, 12:51:16 PM »

template

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2023, 02:36:44 PM »

Thanks for your advice. Do you know if the HD kit has a HD part number. Is it the same part number for all models. How much is it going to be.
Am I going to be drilling holes into the transmission case or the top cover, been looking at videos on YouTube, I am still not clear. Rivraptor, your photographs look like I will need to remove the primary chain cover and drill through into the gearbox, is that correct. If so what happens to the swarf, do I have to dismantle the gearbox to remove the swarf.
Regards
JohnT

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2023, 03:53:32 PM »

Thanks for your advice. Do you know if the HD kit has a HD part number. Is it the same part number for all models. How much is it going to be.
Am I going to be drilling holes into the transmission case or the top cover, been looking at videos on YouTube, I am still not clear. Rivraptor, your photographs look like I will need to remove the primary chain cover and drill through into the gearbox, is that correct. If so what happens to the swarf, do I have to dismantle the gearbox to remove the swarf.
Regards
JohnT

Part number is 26500027
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2023, 04:31:20 PM »

Regards
JohnT

You are drilling through the primary case behind the starter. Here are the instructions.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/1280946960640898220

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2023, 07:36:24 PM »

As other members have said yes, you remove the primary cover and will be drilling in the upper right corner where the template will show you.  Make sure you cover the clutch assembly to catch the metal bits and have some new primary fluid on hand for refill.  A new or sharp drill bit plus a center punch to mark the spot and keep the drill bit centered will help. It's not so bad you'll be fine!  Good luck!

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 22 queries.