Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil Tanks  (Read 1565 times)

SEFXR4

• Junior CVO Member
Oil Tanks
« on: August 29, 2008, 01:24:56 PM »

Are all FXR (5 speeds) oil tanks the same ? I seen a picture of a yellow FXR4 with the oil tank chromed and it looked good.I realize you can't see a whole lot of the tank but that little bit of chrome showing was a nice touch.Still had the rubber lines.I would like so purchase a chrome tank with Aeroquip/Russell fitiing's so I can use braided stainless lines & fittings.I want to replace the original tank but keep it.I got a price for the fabrication and plating of the original for $  350.00.I think not bad but I don't want use the original,I just put it away in a box next to  the stock mufflers.I will welcome any and all idea's
Thanks
Gregg

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Oil Tanks
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 01:40:48 PM »

Are all FXR (5 speeds) oil tanks the same ? I seen a picture of a yellow FXR4 with the oil tank chromed and it looked good.I realize you can't see a whole lot of the tank but that little bit of chrome showing was a nice touch.Still had the rubber lines.I would like so purchase a chrome tank with Aeroquip/Russell fitiing's so I can use braided stainless lines & fittings.I want to replace the original tank but keep it.I got a price for the fabrication and plating of the original for $  350.00.I think not bad but I don't want use the original,I just put it away in a box next to  the stock mufflers.I will welcome any and all idea's
Thanks
Gregg

1st hit on Google
http://www.debrix.com/Items/40-0094

From Drag
http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/20/410/5923935

Easier using aftermarket and save your old one. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 01:42:31 PM »

Somewhere along the line of FXR's the oil tanks changed slightly, but I'm not sure when.  I know that I've seen FXR oil tanks for sale on ebay and in catalogs that looked slightly different from mine in terms of oil inlet and outlet placement and drain plug or hose fitting, that sort of thing.

You say "fabrication and plating of the original...$350.".  I imagine you could remove yours and send it off to be chromed for less than $350, or are you talking about having a new one made from scratch and then plated for $350?  I've seen chrome FXR oil tanks in catalogs, just make sure it's the right one.

I've also seen chrome pieces (covers) that attach to the side of the oil tank where it protudes towards the engine.  Gives you that chrome look without removing or replacing your existing tank.

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 02:30:42 PM »

Looking through BikeBandit by year for FXR oil tanks reinforces my statement to be sure that an aftermarket tank will fit.  BikeBandit doesn't use HD part numbers but their own part numbers indicate at least some difference.

The BB part numbers for a 2000 FXR4 and a 1999 FXR2 oil tank are the same.  Didn't look up the number for the 3 model, but I'm confident it's the same as the 2 and 4.

The BB part number for a 1994 FXLR, and FXR oil tank are the same, but different from the 1999 and 2000 FXR2 and 4 numbers.

The BB part number for a 1991 FXLR oil tank is different still from each of the two above.  A third oil tank part number.

That's as far back as I went but again if you go aftermarket, make sure that you closely examine yours, get somebody on the phone at the vendor who can examine theirs and compare them.  Or make sure you can return theirs if it's not right.

SEFXR4

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 02:34:45 PM »

Thanks guys,Yes the $ 350 included a aftermarket tank,having the fitting's welded in,chrome cap and the plating.I think i'm going with e Drag Specialties.I've always liked the quality of everything i have purchased.

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 22 queries.