Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 2 Dozen Motorcycles go down...  (Read 5332 times)

JasonDeezy

• Ride it 'til the wheels fall off...
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Orange you glad it's a CVO?...

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O/B
2 Dozen Motorcycles go down...
« on: September 19, 2009, 02:47:34 AM »

King Tour Pack
Roland Sands Design Diesel Wheels 18"/21"
Klock Werks 21" Slicer Fender
Klock Werks 8" FLARE Black Windshield
Hawg Wired DCS/SX System
Cary Faas Racing (CFR) Slipons
Fullsac X-Pipe B
8" Yaffe OEM Monkey Bars & Power Mirrors
TTS Mastertune
Dakota Digital Gauges MCL-3006-R
Carl Brouhard Floorboards (Front & Rear)
   Brake Arm, Brake Pedal
   Heel & Toes Shifter (w/pegs), Shift Arm & Linkage
Kuryakyn License Plate Frame (#9182)
Arlen Ness Deep Cut Grips
Wheeldock EZ-Up Centerstand

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
Re: 2 Dozen Motorcycles go down...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 05:24:49 AM »

For what it's worth I try to look 2 or 3 cars ahead just in case. Most likely it was there fault for riding too close.

We have all done it I am sure, but this is the result if the chit hits the fan.  JMO
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 08:20:25 AM »

Could that reporter have mentioned "Outlaw Biker Club" enough? Sad that 26 riders could go down at once, someone screwed up big.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 08:46:07 AM »

It had traffic all messed up here.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Elixer

• Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler [ Let The Good Times Roll ]
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 CVO 105th Annv. FLHRSE4 Build 1096/1800
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 09:46:43 AM »

riders right or wrong...26 X 1 incident don't add up.
Pic is my babe ~ get your own

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 09:50:29 AM »

appreciate the posting!! this keeps us alert as to what can happen quick.!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 10:46:10 AM »

Their motto says something about "riding fast".  Perhaps they should add something about "stopping fast". :nixweiss:

Extemely hard to believe that 26 people riding in one lane of a multiple lane highway would all plow straight into one another like lemmings.  You mean to tell me that not one of these folks swerved to another lane or the median?  Strange story, makes one wonder if the reporter got all the facts halfway straight.  Definitely did get the "outlaw biker gang" thing in there several times though.  Got to help the boss sell some newspapers with a little sensationalism.

One good thing, at least it was a bunch of outlaws and not the local ministry on wheels group.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 10:50:20 AM »

Doesn't matter if you're a pack rider, a HOG rider or a loaner......we all take an inherant risk every time you get on your bike.  Even riding alone in rush hour at 25 mph, if the vehicle in front of you slams on their brakes, you're going to eat it.  Put distance you say?  In rush hour you can't put more than a car length or you'll be cut off constantly......that's just life.

I don't know what happened in the situation other than the journalists slanted perspective.....I don't have the facts so I'll not make a judgement call on that situation.  I'm just saying that if you think it can't happen to you, then I need to not be riding near you.  This situation kind of reminds me of a number of years back, right here in Nor Cal (many of you will remember this) when a logging truck lost it's load and took out a whole pack of bikes due to no fault of their own..........other than they didn't all have that half mile space in between each one of them.

No matter your riding style, it could easily happen to any of us!   :soapbox:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 11:04:15 AM »

Karen and I happen to know several members of this club as very good friends. This club happens to be one of the more mellow clubs that are out there. This group was comprised of members representing different areas on there way to the club's birthday party in Portland. I'm sure they were riding in a tight pack as most all clubs do, it is just how they roll even though it is not the safest way to ride. Two members from Idaho are in critical condition that were life flighted and eight others taken by ambulance. Just waiting to hear if any of our friends were involved. We hope all that were injured a speedy recovery.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 01:22:54 PM »

Very sad.  Hopefully they will recover quickly.

That is a problem with traveling in a very tight pac.  I love to ride with a group but I like to have a little space.  Most serious clubs do not allow space.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 03:39:31 PM »

Very sad.  Hopefully they will recover quickly.

That is a problem with traveling in a very tight pac.  I love to ride with a group but I like to have a little space.  Most serious clubs do not allow space.
The only problem with leaving 'space' is what JC said.  Some yahoo will cut into the pack with disasterous results.  :(  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
26 Outlaw Bikers Crash on I-5 Oregon
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 05:51:34 PM »

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 10:25:36 PM »

The only problem with leaving 'space' is what JC said.  Some yahoo will cut into the pack with disasterous results.  :(  spyder

It happened on the San Juan Bautista GTG.  Some SUV decides there's just enough room for him to squeeze in.  He makes the move all of a sudden then immediatly hits his brakes to keep from running over the bikes immediatly in front of him, causing all the bikes behind him to immediatly jump on the binders.....with bikes going in the other lane and onto the shoulder to keep from hitting him.  This happened in a pack that was riding staggered (so called safe zone)......but it's not safe when a cage decides it's your problem if you hit him. :nixweiss:

This is exactly why I say you should never allow enough space for a four wheeled vehicle to enter the pack.  I know, I know......HOG teaches differently.  And that's exactly why pack riders and HOG riders have a difficult time riding together on these GTGs. :nixweiss:  Just like some of us think 10 mph over is a good safe speed while HOG teaches to never go over the speed limit.  What are ya gonna do? :nixweiss:

Back to the topic......what's really incredable is that 26 bikes went down on the freeway and only two went to the hospital in critical condition.  Sounds to me like God was ridin with them. :2vrolijk_21: 

Terry, keep us posted.  Let us know if it's your friends.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 10:30:33 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Keithincda

• Senior CVO Member
  • Almost there!

• CVO1: Teal 2005 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 10:44:52 PM »

Been gone all day up in the mountains cutting some firewood and scoutin elk hunting areas but got a call on my cell at about 10AM. My brother in law is a member of Brother Speed and was involved in this accident. Details don't really matter at this point as the damage is done and the bell can't be un-rung. Two of his close pals got hurt pretty bad and one hurt really bad. Though clubs like this aren't my thing I've met several of these guys and they are good people. Volunteered to head for PDX and bring a trailer to load up wrecked bikes but the brothers got em covered.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 10:47:46 PM »

.....Just like some of us think 10 mph over is a good safe speed while HOG teaches to never go over the speed limit.  What are ya gonna do? :nixweiss:

I’m gonna ask Hoist what he believes is a reasonably safe cruising speed.  :laugh3:

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 01:24:55 AM »

This is all that has been released so far. Does not appear to be any of our friends. Looks like most of the injuries are members from Idaho.
Here is a cut and paste

By Noelle Crombie, The Oregonian
September 19, 2009, 1:35AM
Oregon State Police today have identified five of the 10 Brother Speed motorcyclists injured in Friday afternoon's Interstate 5 pileup.

The most critically injured were Herbert Sinclair, 48, of Heyburn and David Bowyer, 44, of Coeur d'Alene were among those hurt in the wreck, which closed the northbound lanes for about two hours. Sinclair is listed in good condition at OHSU Hospital. Bowyer is listed in serious condition at Legacy Emanuel Hospital & Health Center.

Police identified three other crash victims: Juan Ramon Mata, 60, Christian J. Gankema, 40, and Gary Pawson, 38. They are from Idaho.

The identities of the remaining riders -- and the names of the two drivers of cars involved in the wreck -- were not immediately available.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 01:49:30 PM »

The only problem with leaving 'space' is what JC said.  Some yahoo will cut into the pack with disasterous results.  :(  spyder
I do agree, to much  space will let an idot in cage cut in.  Most MC clubs run 100% side by side and very little space between the bike in front and the one in back.

I was refering more to a stagard set up with about two to three bike lentghs between the directly in front. 

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 01:52:22 PM »

Most MC clubs run 100% side by side and very little space between the bike in front and the one in back.

Except in Virginia, where they'll definitely pull you for a ticket for side by side.   :'(  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Keithincda

• Senior CVO Member
  • Almost there!

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 02:12:19 PM »

these guys always ride side by side.....spoke with brother in late yesterday who was in this wreck and he said everyone should be okay. could have been a lot worse I'm sure but fortunately no one died.  Mangled bikes can be fixed or replaced, people can't be.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2009, 04:20:43 PM »

Good to hear Keith

Keithincda

• Senior CVO Member
  • Almost there!

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 05:00:31 PM »

Unfortunately the injured rider that was still in the hospital has passed away during the night. David Bowyer was 44.

As I mentioned in a previous comment on this thread, though I do not belong to this or any other MC club my Brother-in-law  is a member of Brother Speed and over the weekend here in Coeur d Alene, Idaho they held a benefit for David attended by many Brother Speed members as well as members of several other clubs (Hells Angels, Gypsy Jokers, Viet Nam Vets, Combat Vets, and numerous Christian rider clubs) attended and donated or bid on auction items.

Total raised was about $4k. He is survived by his Mom a Sister and a real cool albino Great Dane.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 21 queries.