Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: auto driver painting nails, mc rider killed  (Read 3769 times)

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: auto driver painting nails, mc rider killed
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 02:19:23 PM »

I hate the hyperbole that often comes from the riding crowd when an automobile accident that is nothing more than a tragic accident occurs.  Calls for blood for injury to riders when the bike wasn't seen in what in other circumstances would have been a fender bender with another cage.  Asking for special privilege or special protection from government is a slippery slope for riders that won't end well for us.

When someone is just doing something stupid though, as this driver was, with such a callous disregard for the responsibilities assumed when getting behind the wheel the driver deserves criminal prosecution.  Significant charges.  You know if the driver had been painting her nails and hit a group of toddlers in a crosswalk there'd be hell to pay.  That the rider in this case is an attractive woman rather than someone with most of our looks will (sadly) make for better press.  Hope the county prosecutor goes after the driver hard. 

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 02:35:24 PM »

I hate the hyperbole that often comes from the riding crowd when an automobile accident that is nothing more than a tragic accident occurs.  Calls for blood for injury to riders when the bike wasn't seen in what in other circumstances would have been a fender bender with another cage.  Asking for special privilege or special protection from government is a slippery slope for riders that won't end well for us.

When someone is just doing something stupid though, as this driver was, with such a callous disregard for the responsibilities assumed when getting behind the wheel the driver deserves criminal prosecution.  Significant charges.  You know if the driver had been painting her nails and hit a group of toddlers in a crosswalk there'd be hell to pay.  That the rider in this case is an attractive woman rather than someone with most of our looks will (sadly) make for better press.  Hope the county prosecutor goes after the driver hard. 

The accident occured last May.  The driver was indicted for reckless homicide last Thursday - a charge that carries a maximum penalty if convicted of 5 years in prison.  The local press was all over it at the time - and now is again all over it - due to the length of time it took to bring charges forward and now only being charged with an offense that brings such a short potential penalty.  The driver was originally charged with failure to reduce speed.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=7019092
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 03:06:23 PM »

The accident occured last May.  The driver was indicted for reckless homicide last Thursday - a charge that carries a maximum penalty if convicted of 5 years in prison.  The local press was all over it at the time - and now is again all over it - due to the length of time it took to bring charges forward and now only being charged with an offense that brings such a short potential penalty.  The driver was originally charged with failure to reduce speed.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=7019092

Y'know what Scott, that a Prosecutor's office might take awhile to bring charges doesn't bother me much.  I'd much rather some County Prosecutor with probably limited staff take advantage of the time afforded within the statute of limitations to get his ducks in a row and make sure a case is ready and good before bringing charges than to see charges brought hastily and someone get off due to a haste-induced error.

As for wreckless homicide being the charge I simply can't speak.  Don't know what's on the book in that jurisdiction.  That might be the max charge he can bring given the circumstances of the incident?  Wreckless endangerment of human life is defined differently in different statutes.  I'd like to think carelessly taking someone's life as this driver did earns a greater penelty than what would likely be served under such charges.  But I'm not there and I don't know.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 03:23:02 PM »

Y'know what Scott, that a Prosecutor's office might take awhile to bring charges doesn't bother me much.  I'd much rather some County Prosecutor with probably limited staff take advantage of the time afforded within the statute of limitations to get his ducks in a row and make sure a case is ready and good before bringing charges than to see charges brought hastily and someone get off due to a haste-induced error.

As for wreckless homicide being the charge I simply can't speak.  Don't know what's on the book in that jurisdiction.  That might be the max charge he can bring given the circumstances of the incident?  Wreckless endangerment of human life is defined differently in different statutes.  I'd like to think carelessly taking someone's life as this driver did earns a greater penelty than what would likely be served under such charges.  But I'm not there and I don't know.

It's not uncommon in this jurisdiction to delay placement of charges when there is an abundance of media coverage and public outcry.  Especially when the Chicago media is running with something.  In most cases it's probably not a bad tactic to let the fervor quiet down and reduce the potential for emotions or political pressure (not in Illiniois/Chicago, right?) to influence the decisions.  In this case, however, it seems as though such careless disregard for the safety of others  - and the resulting loss of life - warrant a more significant potential penality.  But as you say, it may be all the local laws allow for, given the circumstances.  Should be an interesting trial...I expect it will generate major media coverage in the area.
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 04:46:06 PM »

Should be an interesting trial...I expect it will generate major media coverage in the area.

If it even gets there.  >:( 

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 04:54:16 PM »

If it even gets there.  >:( 

Screamin...

It's been in the media big time since it happened last May...  Just to bad the charges don't carry more of a potential penalty...   >:(
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »

When you first read about this, which I did back in May when it was in local papers and on the local ABC TV news, you tend to get the impression this is just one more of those bubble-headed teens we all hear about crashing their cars while texting or using their cell phones.  But this was no inexperienced and clueless teenager, this woman is approximately 48 years old and is a health care professional.  What ef'n excuse does a middle aged supposedly educated person have for driving at high speed while totally ignoring the road and anything/anyone around her?  As things turned out, not seeing the motorcycle wasn't an issue, she didn't even see the red light the motorcycle was stopped for.

It is well past time for something major to be done to put a stop to the total stupidity on our roads and highways.  We used to think the main problem was drunks, and if you stayed off the roads during peak hours for drinking and driving you could be a little safer.  Well, someone tell me what the peak hours are for totally ignorant and self-absorbed morons who drive while reading the newspaper, talking on their phones, using their laptop, texting their friends, and now painting their nails.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 09:09:19 PM »

When you first read about this, which I did back in May when it was in local papers and on the local ABC TV news, you tend to get the impression this is just one more of those bubble-headed teens we all hear about crashing their cars while texting or using their cell phones.  But this was no inexperienced and clueless teenager, this woman is approximately 48 years old and is a health care professional.  What ef'n excuse does a middle aged supposedly educated person have for driving at high speed while totally ignoring the road and anything/anyone around her?  As things turned out, not seeing the motorcycle wasn't an issue, she didn't even see the red light the motorcycle was stopped for.

It is well past time for something major to be done to put a stop to the total stupidity on our roads and highways.  We used to think the main problem was drunks, and if you stayed off the roads during peak hours for drinking and driving you could be a little safer.  Well, someone tell me what the peak hours are for totally ignorant and self-absorbed morons who drive while reading the newspaper, talking on their phones, using their laptop, texting their friends, and now painting their nails.

Jerry

Unfortunately for the victim of such an incident it often takes a victim that is somehow either photogenic, heroic, a child or in some other way emotionally engaging to move a legislature when the law is found to have gaps.  Amber Alerts, the "Brady Bill" and too many other pieces of legislation pick up a shorthand and become known by a victim's name when there are gaps found in the law's punishment or other mechanisms.  It doesn't help the poor bastard who got run over, shot or kidnapped.  But it is the process.

joeymaq

• Full CVO Member
  • Keep the wind in your hair, the bugs in your teeth
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 10:54:22 AM »

Very tragic!!!  watch out for all the distracted drivers these days. >:(
2009 Ultra Classic 96c.i., Vance & Hines basic slip on's ,Dyno Jet Power commander 5, Screamin Eagle Stage 1 Air Cleaner.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 12:09:13 PM »

first time I've seen this, and all I can say is Damn. I know that area well and have been at that intersection before. I applaud the rider for wearing a helmet, ILL does not have a helmet law, but in this case it did not help.
the driver was driving from Wisc and decided that was the time to paint her nails, WTF. the nails thing is not what disturbs me the most, it's her blaytant (SP) disregard for simple driving procedures. pay attention.
I hope they send her to Joliet Jail, she'll get her nails done there alright
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 12:20:43 PM »

She will get out in less than a year with probation. Its a Very SAD situation. Everyone is out to kill us!!
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 01:27:46 PM »

Everyone is out to kill us!!

Maybe not everyone but we should ride as though that statement is true.  Whatever penalty this woman gets is not going to make riding safer for us.

The bottom line is that only we can or will protect ourselves on the road.  This situation, a rear end accident, presents a situation where the biker is at his or her greatest risk.  I realize that in many states, it's illegal to split lanes but here in CA, I never stop or sit at the back of a line cars.  It's too easy for an oncoming car to focus on the car in front of you but not you (similar to a car making a left in front of you).  I thus always move up by splitting.  Seems better to risk a "lane splitting" ticket and move up than to leave yourself at risk for a rear ender such as this one.  JMHO.  This is also an argument to have very good tail lighting, preferably the blinking kind! 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 08:15:16 PM »

Attorneys for Laura Hunt say at this point in time their client has only been cited for a traffic violation - failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident.
   :zwtf:  :nixweiss: There's just no justice in this system.  :soapbox:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.