Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Windshield Problems  (Read 5179 times)

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
Windshield Problems
« on: April 08, 2010, 03:26:14 PM »

I bought a used Fat Boy Windshield off of ebay PN 58278-95.  It fits, but I notice that the brackets are skewed out (It looks like they're bent). I can force it on but I don't like the way it fits.  The top and the bottom mounts don't line up - kind of like a twist.  I was thinking of taking the brackets off from the Lexan and re-forming (we don't bend things on Harley's - Right!!).  Anybody else had this issue?
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

skiers

Re: Windshield Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:49:28 PM »

I just bought a new fatboy windshield and the brackets had the same issue. Its an easy fix with a small cresent wrench to reform the brackets so you have a perfect custom fit. Also use a drop or two of silicone on the mounts, it makes fitting it much easier.

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 03:52:13 PM »

I just bought a new fatboy windshield and the brackets had the same issue. Its an easy fix with a small cresent wrench to reform the brackets so you have a perfect custom fit. Also use a drop or two of silicone on the mounts, it makes fitting it much easier.

I'm glad to hear that.  So they bend that easy without removing the Lexan?
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

skiers

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 04:11:20 PM »

Yes its a very easy fix. Just be patient and do a little at a time.

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:42:58 PM »

Thanks Skiers.  I think I got her.  She slips on nice now.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »

I had this problem as well with the skewed out frames.  My luck in the past is when I try to do something like this with a crescent wrench, etc. the next step is the sound and sight of split chrome plating.  eeeeeee!  And then of course it is on me because who authorized me to make modifications to a moco product??"  Another issue I noticed with this windshield is that because of the bright red speedometer, there is also a bright red 2" or so wide band (reflection of the speedometer light)  across the windshield when evening comes.  Anybody else experience this?  Very difficult to ignore and get used to, I thought.   

skiers

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 10:20:07 PM »

Porky,

There is a red glare on the windshield at night. I dont really pay attention to it since my line of sight is above it.  I am sure it could be a real pain in the butt for someone looking through the windshield.

Perry

Paulie

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 06:36:37 PM »

If you go to an aviation shop, they sell $2 a rubber suction circle.  It is made to cove the instrument in the panel of a small aircraft for instrument training.  I use it to stick on my speedo at night.

Hope someone will make a higher windshield to replace the stock.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 08:31:19 AM »

Some of the RK guys are using the new digital tach/speedo like ours... they have been either putting a window tint on the gauge glass or using this

Seems the red reflection cuts them right at eye level at night.

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 01:06:44 PM »

That Kuryakin device definitely looks appealing.  Can see where it should stop the red glare from being seen at all.  thanks, Wiz.   Porky

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 03:00:26 PM »

Hi

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the "fit" problem. I just picked up my new windshield and had the same problem.

So let me get this straight. You are using the crescent wrench to bend the attachment point to better align with the post on the fork? A little more detail would be great, as I too don't want to damage the windshield.

Another point on these fat boy windshields. When I got it attached, and sat on the bike, I was please that my eye was about one or two inches above the top of the windshield. I was glad I got the measurement correct. When I took it out on the highway for it's first run, I can't say I was all that satisfied with the buffet above 60. Though nothing like the OEM shield that came with the bike, I still have a notable buffet above 60. Also a lot of air seems to be comming up from the bottom of the windshield causing a vacuum in front of me. Not sure if this is contributing to the buffeting. I say vacuum because my leather jacket inflates at the chest level.

Maybe I'm being a little to picky, but I was really hoping for a buffet free experience at highway speeds. Anyone else having this issue?

Mickey

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 03:10:03 PM »

You probably saw that coming: Have you tried a cage?

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 03:29:14 PM »

LOL.. pretty good Louis 

Mikey... the FB shield is not perfect but one heck of a lot better than the stock disaster. You will get wind up your.... errr... jacket but unless you want fork air dampers you will continue to get this issue. I also see about 2" over the shield, i'm good up to 70 then my half helmet starts to pull up and back after that. If you want some relief for this there are a few companies make a recurve shield for the RK but I don't know about the FB. Would be interesting to look for this. Matt has one on his site but again it is for a RK.  http://harleyshields.com/

I guess that's why I like my SESG and Ultra... 100+ and I can keep my hat on.   :2vrolijk_21:

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 04:18:09 PM »

Louis and Mr Wizard;

Yes I agree that the fatboy is much better than stock, and I hope I don't sound like I'm looking for a "cage" environment. It's just that over 6-0 the buffet causes some visual distortion and vibration on my 3/4 helmet shield and my sunglasses. I can live with it on long trips (overall, I like riding without any windshield). But on further research, it seems like the wind that is causing this issue is not coming over the top, but from underneath. Most seem to cure it with HD wind deflectors (not really attractive..., but if the attache to the windshield, they come off as soon as I get to my destination anyway.

For the time being I'll continue using the FB shield and deal with it, but I'll look into the deflectors for detachable windshields ($60). Might give them a try if the research pans out.

Now I'm going to get my crescent wrench and fix the mount angle issue....

Mickey

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 04:32:11 PM »

Goldfar also rides with a 3/4 helmet.. he says the same thing. He found that he can pull up the visor one click and that fixes the distortion and some of the down under buffeting.

The deflectors I speak of, in case we have our wires crossed, are these. ... and I agree... not the prettiest or best way.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.