Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Touring seat on my fxr  (Read 6313 times)

Abbynormal

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 yellow
Touring seat on my fxr
« on: April 18, 2010, 10:22:56 AM »

Hey guys,

I have been going with Plasmaman on some road trips, and my old stock seat (the one on the bike) just doesn't do the trick. After about an hour/80 miles, my seat (the one on MY rear) is screaming. Anyone have any recommendations? I have been looking at the Mustang seats, and the touring models are 14 inches wide. I dont know if that wide a seat would look odd on my little bike. Any other brands that you can recommend? I know Elvislee put an aftermarket seat on his last year, but I have not heard a report from him and don't ever see him on the forum to ask....surely we haven't lost ol Elvislee! 

Any input you can give would be HUGELY appreciated by my sit-upon. Thanks in advance.

BTW, the bike is now going down the road like a good girl. Got my fingers crossed, but the vibration problem seems to be resolved. It has been a long and discouraging, expensive search!

Abbynormal

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Re: Touring seat on my fxr
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:44:12 PM »

Hi,
 I have a hinged two peice Mustang seat. I love it because it is comfortable, looks great and allows easy access to battery and oil tank. I have put several 600 mile days without any problems and I an 55.
Ltank

Abbynormal

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 yellow
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 09:09:16 AM »

Your hinged seat LOOKS great!! Do you recall how wide it is, or a part number? Mustang makes a "touring" seat for the fxr, but it is 16 inches wide. I wonder if a seat that big would look odd on a bike the size of ours.  Thanks for the suggestion and picture.

Abbynormal

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:30:29 PM »

Hi,
 The front hinged seat is 13.5" wide. It is not the widest seat they used to make. They still make this seat #75515
for 230 bucks. I opted for the rear pad 12"  #75522 for 200 bucks, wide not the narrow one of 7.5"
Go to mustangseats.com and look it up. I had to buy the hinge and latch fro Harley almost 100 buck!!!!!
The rear seat sticks a few inches over each side but still lloks OK.Hope this helps.
Ltank

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 07:20:18 PM »

I have a Corbin on my bike ...... longest day was just short of 800 miles.

I Love my Corbin, but before I got it, and even now, what you read about them is that folks only feel two ways about them.......

HATE EM

or

LOVE EM

Me, I'm loving mine.

I'll look for some pictures when I had a wide Mustang on the bike, 16 incher

FXR4

I also tried the Mustang solo, wide

they didn't look good on the bike, like I said, I'll have to get the pics for you

My Corbin is a 'Gun Fighter and Lady'  model.   It's 13 inches wide for the driver, and a bit smaller than that for the passenger.  I ride SOLO all the time .... but I use the passener seat for luggage and back rest with the luggage. Works out great.

2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 07:23:14 PM »

If you get a Mustang, you can return it if you don't like it. I recall that you have 10 days to do so.  I did that twice with two different Mustang saddles that as it turned out, I didn't like.

The Corbin, NO RETURNS....... and as you know, with the FXR, you have a limited resale market to off load it if you don't like it. Not like having a Road King ..............

I've had my Corbin for two years, took me two years to decide to go for it because they ain't cheap.  I'm very pleased with my Corbin.  I have about 12 - 15 thousand miles on it ...... did I say that I like it   :-)
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 03:21:04 PM »

Mikey-

Is your Corbin seat hinged?  I am looking for a hinged comfortable seat, @ 13-14" wide with a narrower passenger seat. Would a Mustang be the way to go?

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 10:19:50 PM »

Hey guys,

I have been going with Plasmaman on some road trips, and my old stock seat (the one on the bike) just doesn't do the trick. After about an hour/80 miles, my seat (the one on MY rear) is screaming. Anyone have any recommendations? I have been looking at the Mustang seats, and the touring models are 14 inches wide. I dont know if that wide a seat would look odd on my little bike. Any other brands that you can recommend? I know Elvislee put an aftermarket seat on his last year, but I have not heard a report from him and don't ever see him on the forum to ask....surely we haven't lost ol Elvislee! 

Any input you can give would be HUGELY appreciated by my sit-upon. Thanks in advance.

BTW, the bike is now going down the road like a good girl. Got my fingers crossed, but the vibration problem seems to be resolved. It has been a long and discouraging, expensive search!

I have a nice Mustang Touring that was on 'flame when I bought it..
$ 200
Abbynormal
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 10:26:08 AM »

Mikey-

Is your Corbin seat hinged?  I am looking for a hinged comfortable seat, @ 13-14" wide with a narrower passenger seat. Would a Mustang be the way to go?

no, not hinged, I don't think Corbin makes a hinged model for the FXR  .....

I did buy the  hinge hardware (about 115 smakers) from HD and put on a solo Mustang, but didn't like the looks. Sent the Mustang back, and earlier this year did a deal swap for money and parts with Phil for the hardware .....  Thanks Phil
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 06:26:45 AM »

no, not hinged, I don't think Corbin makes a hinged model for the FXR  .........

Have a Corbin FXR seat......backrest for both rider and passenger. This seat is hinged but can be used unhinged also.
Favorite is a leather/gel seat from Jireh Cycle.....like it best for 'iron butt' rides
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.