Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Depreciation galore  (Read 8438 times)

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
Depreciation galore
« on: November 11, 2010, 01:47:01 PM »

Well, I have been trying to trade or sell my 2010 flstse for a week now and the very best offer I got for her is 21k. The thing is spotless, 3800 miles, 2k in upgrades and doesn't even need a bath. Looks like this bike was the worse bike purchase ever.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Depreciation galore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 02:09:31 PM »

You take the biggest loss the first year of ownership......

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »

Well, I have been trying to trade or sell my 2010 flstse for a week now and the very best offer I got for her is 21k. The thing is spotless, 3800 miles, 2k in upgrades and doesn't even need a bath. Looks like this bike was the worse bike purchase ever.

Unfortunately the $2k in upgrades don't mean squat to resale.  The rest is a used bike losing 25% of original MSRP as a wholesale trade value for rolling out the door.  While it might be unpleasant it's not unexpected or surprising.

Fortunately a week isn't any time at all for a vehicle sale.  Push it awhile longer and hopefully you'll find an interested individual buyer willing to go a higher.

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 02:22:03 PM »

You take the biggest loss the first year of ownership......
Yes, you do take the biggest hit in the first year.  Last time I did that was about 20 some years ago and guess I had forgotten how much it hurt.  Not sure what you are doing next, but if you are looking at the '11 convertible you can just change that stuff over to the new bike, most of it.  In my case I had $2600 worth of parts I bought and realized I wouldn't get anything out of them so just kept them.  In my book, that raised the value of my deal by $2600 because I would have bought it again new on my '11.  Now I received 22K for my trade but they knocked off $1000 of the ship/prep price.  And of course you don't pay sales tax on the 21K they will give you for your trade.  Add up those things and crunch the numbers again and maybe you will feel better.  Also, don't cry over spilt milk....pick up the pieces and keep going forward.  Yes, some models will be worth more and some will be worth less down the road.  But they all start off being worthless a year later........ha!   

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 03:04:25 PM »

Sell it yourself. You should be able to get a minimum of $23,500 on a retail deal . Any dealer offering you $21k doesn't deserve to get the bike.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:06:14 PM by pm203 »

Dennis the Menace

• HD Tech
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 08:29:11 PM »

If it were 10 years ago, you would have likely got what you paid for it, maybe more.  But, times are tough for everything these days, and used Harleys have not held a good resale as they did just 2-3 years ago.  All used Harley resale prices are down, bare fact.  And, its a buyers market, with so many used bikes out there.  CVo will fare a bit better than a Street Glide, which despite a large number produced, there is high demand for that model.

I also agree, a week is not a good barometer of what the market will pay.  But also keep in mind, its the worst time of year to sell a bike, with winter coming on and the lowest demand for a bike, new or used.  If you can, list it online at a good price and decline offers until you get one close to what you want.  But, be prepared to wait until spring for it, because thats when the buyers start to come out of hibernation.

You might get lucky with a buyer coming from the southern states, however.  So, dont get discouraged but prepare for a long haul.  Its just how things are right now.

Dennis

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 09:09:55 PM »

I know the first year is the biggest hit but 25% on a CVO is insane. I traded a 2 year old Ultra to get this bike and I got $1500 less than I paid for it. A friend traded a 1 yr. old Sportster 1200 Custom and got $1800 less than he paid. NADA dealer's book shows 20k trade value but 26k retail. Dealers actually expect to make 6k on a used bike sale? They rape you at both ends. I am looking to get into an Ultra again because I miss the extras and the ride. I do have it listed on several sites and holding out for 24k but it probably wont happen in this economy. Live and learn.

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 09:19:31 PM »

It only takes one person to realize the value in your bike. And, that particular person will be glad because they are saving a bundle. But, you have to remain optimistic and be patient.

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 01:28:08 PM »

Sell it yourself. You should be able to get a minimum of $23,500 on a retail deal . Any dealer offering you $21k doesn't deserve to get the bike.
Just picked up a Brand New left over 2010 (Orange/Silver/Black) 2 weeks ago for $24k + TTL.  So I don't think $21,000 is a bad offer (unless you paid sticker...)

Dennis the Menace

• HD Tech
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 02:29:30 PM »

EZ, on a positive note, if you are buying an Ultra this year, its a slow time for dealers too..so, you might get a great deal on it, and maybe the bite wont be nearly as bad.

My dealer has a '10 CONV in Blue and would like to get 25k for it.  71 miles on her.  The moved it from my local area shop to the main shop (30miles north) last week, so when I went to look at it Saturday, it wasnt there.  Good thing, cause I might have, might have.  lol

Good luck and hold out for a good offer.  I hope you get what you want out of it.

Dennis

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 03:10:24 PM »

Just picked up a Brand New left over 2010 (Orange/Silver/Black) 2 weeks ago for $24k + TTL.  So I don't think $21,000 is a bad offer (unless you paid sticker...)

You found a dealer who was desperate. Not all dealers are. There is no way I would sell it for 21k. I still feel that this offer is light. And, by the way, you got an awesome deal.

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 07:13:07 PM »

the 2010 was never released in australia , so i cannot compare, but i would say with all due respect that to those who bought the 2010 model, would the depreciation be much greater than the 2011 model , as the new on is so far ahead technology wise, eg  ABS  cruise control, built in stereo,
imho the depreciation on this model will be less,
bearing in mind that some of our members have already traded in their 2010 on a 2011, talk to the porkster who has done this

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 07:23:52 PM »

Come talk to us SE Deuce owners if you want to complain about depreciation. These are selling for the same amount as the standard Deuces and often less than 1/2 of what we paid out the door.  Anyone buying one of these pigs thinking they're an investment is seriously misinformed. Imho, the CVO's depreciate way more than the standard bikes. I've got a buddy who buys a standard Ultra every few years, never does any mods, runs the crap out of it for ~50,000 miles, and gets 70 to 75% of what he paid new on trade for the next one. I'm starting to warm up to that idea....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07:28:21 PM by mrmagloo »
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 08:08:16 PM »

just had a thought,
depreciation is like stocks and shares, only go down when you sell em,
paid $25000 15 years ago , dealer offered me $13000 when i bought the new convertinble, i chose to keep it
but can get around $18000 privately,
going to try and keep both, depends if i ride both
depends on the wife , and how much she is on my back

Dennis the Menace

• HD Tech
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 08:40:42 PM »

Not to stir a pot here, since its my intent to buy CVO next, and maybe all future bikes, but....

Another site I am on for years mostly consider CVO a waste of money and for RUBs, not actual real riders.  I know, thats BS, but I am only stating my observaton of their attitude, not my own.  Comments like a CVO cant be found with over 1,000 actual road miles on it, the rest is dyno mileage, and such crap like that.  I suspect there are a number of HD riders that think a CVO is only for the rich, or RUB or posers, which might explain lower demand.

That and that many like to do their own customization rather than by a bike with a lot of the customization done for them.  I have seen others state if they want a custom, they would buy a Big Dog, Bourget, etc, rather than a HD.

To each his own.  Personally, I have always like the CVO lineup since inception.  I also used to like to customize my bike on my own.  But, as I get older, I just want to ride and to heck with working on the bike, other than oil changes and clutch adjustments.  Tired of futzing.  When I buy a CVO, I cant care less if some azzhat thins I am a RUB, poser, or whatever.  Its their problem, not mine.

Anyway, this might help explain the lower values, but nothing impacts them as much as todays economy and the used bike market.  Everything is down.  I just sold my 103 RG (07) for $14.2K and lost a bit of money on it, that I wouldnt have 3-4 years ago.  Thats just the market today, like it or not.  If I was uptight about it, I would have held the bike a few more years to see what happens.  But, who knows that it will come back?  If you know, please PM me the Powerball numbers for the draw this Saturday, please.  Cus I need a new CVO.  lol
Dennis
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 24 queries.