Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: OK, here's an easy way to modify and keep stock all at the same time  (Read 63875 times)

ultrarider123

Re: OK, here's an easy way to modify and keep stock all at the same time
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2016, 12:38:51 PM »

Has anyone looked inside the 2017 Milwaukee 8 SE Mufflers yet? I wonder if this mod would work?

That's on my list of things to check next time I'm in the dealer.... :2vrolijk_21:

ultrarider123

« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2016, 12:40:19 PM »

We here they are, now gotta remount them and take a sound check !!!

You will like the sound and congratulations on joining the de-plugged SE muffler crew  ;D

I've got to do this to my current ride at some point, too.  Sure miss the sound from the '12.

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #182 on: September 24, 2016, 08:50:40 AM »

Will the drilling method work on the stock mufflers on the 16 CVO? I already went and bought the extension and 1 1/4 bit and thought I would double check the instructions before starting this project and after reading I am not certain if this will work on the 16 CVO mufflers?

Any help??

ultrarider123

« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2016, 10:38:31 AM »

Chief, if you look in the exit/butt end of the SE muffler and see the plug similar to what I show at the start of this thread, you have the same kind. My 2015 had the tube extention that I removed (it is tacked on in three places, you have to remove the end cap...dremil again) for looks and in preparation of removal on my plugs at some point down the line. 

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2016, 11:14:43 AM »

So simple and I like the sound!

Got lucky on the second muffler, plug stuck in the end of the hole saw so didn't even have to remove the muffler!!

ultrarider123

« Reply #185 on: September 24, 2016, 11:39:47 AM »

Good deal. Glad you like it. Simple fix for a bit of sound.

Nexus9

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #186 on: December 11, 2016, 04:54:12 PM »

Great thread, and still very useful - 4 years old or not!

I've read every word, but did not find an answer to this question - for those of you who removed the plug, did any of you measure the perforated core inside?  1-1/2'? 1-3/4"? 

I'm wondering if the cores changed in 2013 along with the 3" end pipe?  It seems odd that the 2013 up cores sound so different (apparently in a bad way) with the end pipe removed, but the pre-2013 sounded great with no end pipe. The cores must be different?

Thanks.

ultrarider123

« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2016, 07:01:07 AM »

Great thread, and still very useful - 4 years old or not!

I've read every word, but did not find an answer to this question - for those of you who removed the plug, did any of you measure the perforated core inside?  1-1/2'? 1-3/4"? 

I'm wondering if the cores changed in 2013 along with the 3" end pipe?  It seems odd that the 2013 up cores sound so different (apparently in a bad way) with the end pipe removed, but the pre-2013 sounded great with no end pipe. The cores must be different?

Thanks.

I believe the cores were the same but the 3" extension was an attempt by the MoCo to make it more difficult to remove the plug.  However, the 3" extension is only held on with three tack welds.  A bit of grinding and it's gone.  The plug on my 2015 mufflers is the same as the one that I removed from my '12.  I have not removed the plugs yet on the 2015 but I did remove the 3" extensions as they were rusting and causing a bit of a mess on the inside and outside of the mufflers.  They look much better, too (my opinion).  I will eventually remove the plugs and have pondered on purchasing the Fulsac header along with the TTS Mastertune once the warranty runs out in July 2017.

As for measuring the plug, I've still got one I removed in the garage.  I'll measure it this evening and get back witcha... ;D

Nexus9

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #188 on: December 12, 2016, 08:05:37 PM »

Thanks, Haird.  I'm wondering what the diameter of the core is.  If we're removing the plug with a 1-1/2" hole saw, we know the muffler is restricted to at least that, which would still lend a lot of value to the Fullsac 1-3/4", 2" and 2-1/4" cores - if one was so inclined.  But if we can get a straight through path of at least 1-3/4, it would seem that (at least from a performance point of view) we've got the smaller baffle covered.   

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2016, 06:29:50 AM »

The 17 CVO touring mufflers are straight though.  You can stick a broom handle all the way though them.  I would guess about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 all the way through.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ultrarider123

« Reply #190 on: December 13, 2016, 06:55:30 AM »

Nexus, I couldn't find the plug to measure...sorry.  I thought I kept one of the half dozen or so I had taken out of mine a couple other folks.  I guess not.

Thanks for the info, Dave.  I was wondering how the '17 muffler was different.  I haven't really looked at them very close.

Nexus9

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #191 on: December 13, 2016, 08:51:47 PM »

No problem, and thank you for taking time to look for that.  I actually bought a pair today from a 2014 - removed the tube and drilled out the plug.

So for those of you who are looking at this from a sound point of view, the following probably isn't going to matter much.  But if you're reading this thread wondering about the performance aspect, or wondering if this is a good alternative to the Fullsacs, here's some useful data.  Keep in mind, all I know is the 2014 muffler - others may be different.

The entrance to the muffler is, of course, the diameter of the outside of the exhaust pipe, about 1.7".  About 2" back, the inner core necks down to 1-1/2", then opens up again to 1.7 and is a plain steel tube (no perforations) for about 6".  The perforated tube starts after that, again 1.7" diameter, and the perforations are very small, I'm guessing about 1/16 - 3/64", lots of them.Once you get past the drilled out plug, the exhaust exits through the end tube, which has been crimped down to fit inside the end pipe, and THAT inner tube diameter (at the crimp) is 1-1/2" again.

I've done some motor mods to my bike (heads, cams, etc) so my goal (and from what I've read, this not an uncommon goal) is to find a muffler that will give me the most exhaust flow for the least noise.  Drilling the plug out of these gave me a 1-1/2" core which is 1/3 solid and 2/3 tiny little holes; compared to the Fullsac, which is a smooth 1-3/4" interior, with lots of large holes the entire length to absorb noise, and a removable, repackable baffle that I can keep quiet.  For $120, I think I'll go that way. 

Your results may vary!   :bananarock:

J.D.

« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2017, 12:29:38 PM »

Great thread and a lot of detailed information.

Has anyone run these 2012-2016 style mufflers with the crimped plug (removed) on a catless header?  If so, how would you describe the sound and volume?

Has anyone compared the sound and volume of the drilled stock baffles to something like the Fullsac or Cycle Shack replacement baffles?

ultrarider123

« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2017, 01:21:59 PM »

Yes, I and others have. My 12 eventually received a stock header with the cat removed. Sounded very good but a bit louder without the cat in place.  Not unbearable but louder. It had a very good cruising sound at 70.
I'll let other folks chime in on your second question as I have not compared.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:18:11 PM by Haird »

wtfdskin

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2017, 05:23:36 PM »

Working on mine today. Replaced the stock headpipe with a decatted one. Going to cut the plugs out of stock mufflers tomorrow. Clean and polish all the crap you cant get to then put her back together. Hook up the fp3 and wait for spring.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.