Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PICTORIAL PRESENTATION MODIFYING FINAL GEARING & REPLACING SHIFTER SHAFT SEAL  (Read 6638 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE

A Pictorial Presentation Showing:

A) How To Accomplish A Final Gear Modification
B) Replacing Shifter Shaft Seal

CLICK HERE: [X]

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 11:20:50 PM by FXR2evo99 »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member

While I hope to never have to get into that part of my bike .... but if I do, I'll be Thankful to have this information and the photos.

Tim, THANKS so much for taking the time to post that up and for sharing your knowledge with us, GREATLY APPRECIATED !!

Mikey
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

hellesjo

Hi.

I have been following your modifications With great interest here from Norway.
I have also just deceided to change the gearing on my bike. Here in Norway with a lot of hills and small roads I feel i want a lower geared bike. I had a 89 config. FXR earlier and I think I remember that that bike felt more powerfull and correct geared compared to the FXR4 I have now.
But when lookin up the parts I see that the sprocket, sprocket cover and the upper belt guard are -99 parts. Is it the same on the FXR2? Do you know what the difference on the belt guard is? Mine is 60342-99 on the FXR4. I just Wonder if the 70 tooth will fit.

Thanks

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO

I am sure you will have to go to a longer belt going to a 70 tooth from a 65 tooth rear pulley.  I played withmy gearing several times. I now have 30 tooth transmission pulley with a 65 rear wheel pulley and a
6 speed OD gearset. Kept stock 133 tooth length belt

hellesjo

thanks for answering! Yes, maybe it is easier to change the gear sprocket to a 30 tooth instead. I think the rear wheel sprocket is an "one model only" part on this bike regarding it has both sealed bearings and 1.5 inch belt. I am also afraid that the belt guard will not fit With a 70 tooth sprocket since it is an -99 part number. I actually don't understand why they dont use the belt guard from earlier models? My thought is to lower the total gearing a little and increase the compression a little. (starting with one of those 2) The motor has cam and head modification but I think Stock compression.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

Thank you for all positive feed back!!!

yes actually without trying to sound "snobbish" you are right your 1989 FXR was provided with the 3.37 Final gearing setup and this continued until 1993.  In 1994 Harley went to 3.15 final gearing and in 1999-2000 the CVO FXR's were sent out with 2.925 Final Gearing.

Here is the snobbish part just follow exactly what I did.
You will end up with 3.36 Final Gearing and you CAN FIND all of the parts.
you have to change the trans pulley, belt, and rear wheel sprocket but you get to leave the inner primary parts alone.  Yes, you have to take all of the inner primary "guts" out and set them to the side and you need some specific tools but it can be done without too much difficulty. The tool to remove the trams pulley nut is $$$$ expensive but oh well (About s200.00), yes I know YIKES.

The end result for me very positive.... may not be for everyone but for me a great modification.

Tim

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.