Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil cooler  (Read 1363 times)

Hans Christian

Oil cooler
« on: June 04, 2013, 01:28:32 AM »

Hi guys,

Finally returning back to the wonders of the Harley world (sold my 95 Heritage Classic in 98 due to travels abroad - in the meantime the wife and I have tried BMW and a couple of Triumphs). To make a long story short, I bought the 1200 Sporster 72 for the wife for Mother's Day while at the same time ordering the CVO Breakout in black/silver for myself (all going well it should arrive on the 18th this month).

We live in Illinois about 160 miles south of Chicago where it can get rather hot during the summer and thus I was wondering if it would be a good idea to add an oil cooler right away. If yes is there a preferred option that will not disgrace the gorgeous look of the bike?

Best regards
Hans Christia

Bretto

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSBSE - Red ones go faster!
    • Rockhampton HOG
Re: Oil cooler
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 06:28:52 PM »

Welcome Hans,

An oil cooler wouldn't hurt but might not be necessary. In the summer months I ride in 38 to 40'C or near 100 to 104'F and I asked the same question regarding my FXDF with lots of engine work with my trusted dealer. He said if I'm going to spend lots of time in traffic and stopped at traffic lights then yep do it for sure but if you mainly just ride on open road then it should be fine without.

So i never put one on, but if I was stopped at road works etc I would always turn off the bike. I now do same with the Breakout.
Cheers
Brett

2013 FXSBSE with ProCharger - Giddy Up!

Hans Christian

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 11:52:31 AM »

Thank you Bretto, I go with that suggestion

mbrewer566

• 2014 CVO Softail Deluxe, 2015 Indian Roadmaster, 2015 Indian Chief Vintage
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 08:30:57 PM »

No issue yet here in Phoenix...it don't get much hotter!  I did, though, kill the Cat by changing out pipes and putting on a Cobra tuner, so it tends to run a little cooler.  I'd give it a try.

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.